The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The…

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Trilogy of Five (original 1987; edition 2012)

by Douglas Adams

Member:piuss
Title:The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Trilogy of Five
Authors:Douglas Adams
Info:Tor (2012), Kindle Edition, 1003 pages, ASIN: B009OCBX38
Collections:Your library, ebooks
Rating:****1/2
Tags:!promo, science fiction, humor, space opera, British, omnibus

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy : A Trilogy in Five Parts by Douglas Adams (1987)

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett (ShelfMonkey)
    The Salmon of Doubt: Hitchhiking the Galaxy One Last Time by Douglas Adams (jabberwockiness)
    jabberwockiness: Published posthumously - drabbles from Douglas Adams himself. Enjoy!
    Douglas Adams's Starship Titanic by Terry Jones (dagnirath)
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Improbable road trips while dealing with the End of Everything.
    Astrotruckers by Mikael Niemi (andejons)
    andejons: Similarly absurd stories set in space, even if Niemi has more grime.
    Don't Panic: The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Companion by Neil Gaiman (antihero)
    antihero: This is a great book about the life of Douglas Adams, with a focus on all things Hitchhiker.
    Dimension of Miracles by Robert Sheckley (pratchettfan)
    pratchettfan: Dimension of Miracles of Miracles and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy share the same mindset of strange, intelligent and witty sci-fi. If you loved one of them you'll love the other too!
    The Ultimate Inferior Beings by Mark Roman (rretzler)
    rretzler: Science fiction with a dry wit.
    Smith by Mike Devlin (tottman)
    tottman: Both have a wacky, offbeat sense of humor and adventure. They tell tales of fish-out-of-water earthmen on hilarious romps across the universe.
    Wilt by Tom Sharpe (kullfarr)

English (26)  Swedish (2)  Norwegian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (30)
Very funny. The story is very honest view of how governments work. Like a long public works poem. Very clever and never what you would expect. So long and thanks for all the fish. ( )
  geniemagik | Dec 5, 2013 |
A couple of days ago, I just finished getting through these nearly 800 pages of The Hitchhikers Guide Series. I think it's sort of remarkable in that is has a little something for everyone. In many ways, it reminds me of the Choose Your Own Adventure Books from when I was a kid only Douglas Adams makes the choices, of course, and usually the characters get themselves into the worst predicaments. That said, in some ways, I was thinking I should change my review to 4/5 stars because there are just some things Douglas doesn't explain very well...and also, I felt like he needed to put more into the final ending in the fifth book. But these books are just such classics and the writing is so witty I have a really soft spot for them. I think if you read them at times, depending on where you are in your life and what you're looking for in a book, they are not enough. At other times, they are just what you need. ( )
  kirstiecat | Mar 31, 2013 |
Omnibus of the trilogy in five of the series that trails off from brilliant to mediocre.

Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy : The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy : The Restaurant at the End of the Universe - Douglas Adams
Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy : Life the Universe and Everything - Douglas Adams
Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy : So Long and Thanks for All the Fish - Douglas Adams
Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy : Mostly Harmless - Douglas Adams

You need an up to date travel guide, and a towel. A really cool spaceship can't hurt, either.

Other things that you should take note of are carefully hidden planning documents. Run away from alien poetry, and if you have any machines that talk, then hopefully it was someone else that paid for them. Otherwise, you should ask for your money back.

Some glue plate mouse traps work best, too, I think, from experience.

Really bloody funny.

5 out of 5

Meat isn't murder if it likes it, and loud music nearby can be bad for real estate a well as for the prices. Also, even the biggest and most expensive computer projects are easy to screw up, right up until the end.

Anyway, the sequel to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is almost as enjoyable as the first book, which is a fairly impressive achievement.

4 out of 5

Throw yourself at the ground and miss. If you can't, don't whine about it.

Unfortunately the third Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy book is nowhere near as entertaining as the first two installments. The tone of it changes considerably to somewhat this side of maudlin, apart from the odd entertaining piece like the flying, and insulting the galaxy in order, or a bit of Clockwork Orange inspired cricket.

3 out of 5

Dolphins are smarter than mice.

Smarter than us, too, it seems, given we have delved into the fourth book of a trilogy. In this case, you can say about this book pretty much the same thing that was said about the last one. It is different in tone to the two that are actually good, and although there are a few decent gags like the rain god thing, in general, it is a bit dull.

3 out of 5

Multiple planet waxings are dull.

Or, why the hell did we read this book. Ok, the answer to that one is obvious, but anyway, this one can happily be avoided and you aren't missing anything. Even the potential best amusing bits aren't really, with Ford's corporate masters, and Arthur, yet again on Earth putting up with some very strange new behaviour by the people there.

http://freesf.strandedinoz.com/wordpress/2013/01/the-hitch-hikers-guide-to-the-g... ( )
  BlueTysonSS | Jan 3, 2013 |
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was a life-changing read for me in high school. It would affect how I looked at writing for the next 22 years and will probably continue to do so for the rest of my life. The book was incredibly funny, the dialogue was great and it was all absolutely ridiculous. However, it was never a parody of itself and Adams made sure you cared about what happened to the characters and the story.

Great book. A must-read for any sci-fi fan.

Oh, and the rest of the books are pretty darn excellent, as well. :) ( )
  MatNastos | Aug 21, 2011 |
A timeless classic to be read and reread. I first devoured this in Grade 8, and it is mostly the reason I became a Reader of Books. I have reread this many times since, and I never fail to find some new aspect to delight my senses. Douglas Adams was a gift to the world. ( )
  Qorvus | Jun 20, 2011 |

Douglas Adamsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lindgren, NilleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tidholm, ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jonny Brock and Clare Gorst
and all other Arlingtonians
for tea, sympathy, and a sofa
Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.
Collected Books 1-5 Only. This omnibus does NOT include the short story "Young Zaphod Plays it Safe". This is NOT the Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide.

Set including 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy', 'The Restaurant at the End of the Universe', 'Life, The Universe and Everything', 'So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish' and 'Mostly Harmless'.

Contents: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy; The Restaurant at the End of the Universe; Life, the Universe and Everything; So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish; Mostly Harmless.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:21 -0400)

In this collection of novels, Arthur Dent is introduced to the galaxy at large when he is rescued by an alien friend seconds before Earth's destruction, and embarks on a series of amazing adventures with his new companion.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,619,829 books! | Top bar: Always visible