The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The…

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Trilogy of Five (original 1987; edition 2012)

by Douglas Adams

Title:The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Trilogy of Five
Authors:Douglas Adams
Info:Tor (2012), Kindle Edition, 1003 pages, ASIN: B009OCBX38
Collections:Your library, ebooks
Tags:!promo, science fiction, humor, space opera, British, omnibus

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy : A Trilogy in Five Parts by Douglas Adams (1987)

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett (ShelfMonkey)
    The Salmon of Doubt: Hitchhiking the Galaxy One Last Time by Douglas Adams (jabberwockiness)
    jabberwockiness: Published posthumously - drabbles from Douglas Adams himself. Enjoy!
    Douglas Adams's Starship Titanic by Terry Jones (dagnirath)
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Improbable road trips while dealing with the End of Everything.
    Astrotruckers by Mikael Niemi (andejons)
    andejons: Similarly absurd stories set in space, even if Niemi has more grime.
    Don't Panic: The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Companion by Neil Gaiman (antihero)
    antihero: This is a great book about the life of Douglas Adams, with a focus on all things Hitchhiker.
    Dimension of Miracles by Robert Sheckley (pratchettfan)
    pratchettfan: Dimension of Miracles of Miracles and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy share the same mindset of strange, intelligent and witty sci-fi. If you loved one of them you'll love the other too!
    The Ultimate Inferior Beings by Mark Roman (rretzler)
    rretzler: Science fiction with a dry wit.
    Smith by Mike Devlin (tottman)
    tottman: Both have a wacky, offbeat sense of humor and adventure. They tell tales of fish-out-of-water earthmen on hilarious romps across the universe.
    Wilt by Tom Sharpe (kullfarr)

English (26)  Swedish (2)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (31)
Re-read book 1 in January 20155, followed by book 2 in August, and books 3 and 4 in October.

The added extras after each book are interesting, but I had to my read them on my iPad mini as they included press clippings in fonts too small to read on my Kindle.

1) The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (5 stars)

'If I asked you where the hell we were,' said Arthur weakly, 'would I regret it?'
Ford stood up. 'We're safe,' he said.
'Oh good,' said Arthur.
'We're in a small galley cabin,' said Ford, 'in one of the spaceships of the Vogon Constructor Fleet.'
'Ah', said Arthur, 'this is obviously some strange usage of the word safe that I wasn't previously aware of.'

I've been a fan of HHGG ever since listening to the original radio series on BBC Radio 4. It has been one of my favourite books ever since, and although I chose a quotation from early in the book, it is equally funny all the way through.

2) The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (4 stars)

‘Here we are,’ continued Zaphod doggedly, ‘standing dead in this desolate . . .’
'Five star,’ said Trillian.
'Restaurant,’ concluded Zaphod.
'Odd, isn’t it?’ said Ford.
'Er, yeah.’
‘Nice chandeliers though,’ said Trillian.
They looked about themselves in bemusement.
‘It’s not so much an afterlife,’ said Arthur, ‘more a sort of après vie.’

The second book in the series is a slow starter and I found Zaphod's trip to the Frog Star really quite tedious, but it gets a lot more amusing when they arrive at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe, and ends strongly after Zaphod and Ford foolishly decide to steal a strange black ship with black controls that are labelled in black and light up black when you press them.

3) Life, the Universe and Everything

"One of the interesting things about space," Arthur heard Slartibartfast saying to a large and voluminous creature who looked like someone losing a fight with a pink duvet and was gazing raptly at the old man's deep eyes and silver beard, "is how dull it is."
"Dull?" said the creature, and blinked her rather wrinkled and bloodshot eyes.
"Yes," said Slartibartfast, "staggeringly dull. Bewilderingly so. You see, there's so much of it and so little in it. Would you like me to quote you some statistics?"
"Er, well..."
"Please, I would like to. They, too, are quite sensationally dull."
"I'll come back and hear them in a moment," she said, patted him on the arm, lifted up her skirts like a hovercraft and moved off into the heaving crowd.
"I thought she'd never go," growled the old man. "Come, Earthman . . ."

4) So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

5) Mostly Harmless ( )
1 vote isabelx | Jan 21, 2015 |
Very funny. The story is very honest view of how governments work. Like a long public works poem. Very clever and never what you would expect. So long and thanks for all the fish. ( )
  geniemagik | Dec 5, 2013 |
A couple of days ago, I just finished getting through these nearly 800 pages of The Hitchhikers Guide Series. I think it's sort of remarkable in that is has a little something for everyone. In many ways, it reminds me of the Choose Your Own Adventure Books from when I was a kid only Douglas Adams makes the choices, of course, and usually the characters get themselves into the worst predicaments. That said, in some ways, I was thinking I should change my review to 4/5 stars because there are just some things Douglas doesn't explain very well...and also, I felt like he needed to put more into the final ending in the fifth book. But these books are just such classics and the writing is so witty I have a really soft spot for them. I think if you read them at times, depending on where you are in your life and what you're looking for in a book, they are not enough. At other times, they are just what you need. ( )
1 vote kirstiecat | Mar 31, 2013 |
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was a life-changing read for me in high school. It would affect how I looked at writing for the next 22 years and will probably continue to do so for the rest of my life. The book was incredibly funny, the dialogue was great and it was all absolutely ridiculous. However, it was never a parody of itself and Adams made sure you cared about what happened to the characters and the story.

Great book. A must-read for any sci-fi fan.

Oh, and the rest of the books are pretty darn excellent, as well. :) ( )
  MatNastos | Aug 21, 2011 |
A timeless classic to be read and reread. I first devoured this in Grade 8, and it is mostly the reason I became a Reader of Books. I have reread this many times since, and I never fail to find some new aspect to delight my senses. Douglas Adams was a gift to the world. ( )
  Qorvus | Jun 20, 2011 |

Adams, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lindgren, NilleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Markkula, PekkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saarikivi, JukkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tidholm, ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jonny Brock and Clare Gorst
and all other Arlingtonians
for tea, sympathy, and a sofa
Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.
Collected Books 1-5 Only. This omnibus does NOT include the short story "Young Zaphod Plays it Safe". This is NOT the Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide.

Set including 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy', 'The Restaurant at the End of the Universe', 'Life, The Universe and Everything', 'So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish' and 'Mostly Harmless'.

Contents: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy; The Restaurant at the End of the Universe; Life, the Universe and Everything; So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish; Mostly Harmless.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:07 -0400)

In this collection of novels, Arthur Dent is introduced to the galaxy at large when he is rescued by an alien friend seconds before Earth's destruction, and embarks on a series of amazing adventures with his new companion.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,850,357 books! | Top bar: Always visible