It Was on Fire When I Lay Down on It by…

It Was on Fire When I Lay Down on It (original 1988; edition 1989)

by Robert Fulghum

Member:ianmcorvidae
Title:It Was on Fire When I Lay Down on It
Authors:Robert Fulghum
Info:Villard (1989), Hardcover, 218 pages

It Was On Fire When I Lay Down On It by Robert Fulghum (1988)

English (7)  Czech (1)  All (8)
Another humorous, down-to-earth collection of essays. Fulghum's mix of homespun philosophy and laugh-out-loud anecdotes (especially the wedding-related ones) is a welcome antidote for the cares and stresses of daily life. ( )
  bostonian71 | Jan 20, 2014 |
Philosophy of an accessible kind.
  ToniRy | Jul 26, 2013 |
Rated: A+
little reflections about life from the view of the author's life. Makes you laugh and cry from reading to reading ( )
  jmcdbooks | Jan 27, 2013 |
Not much in the way of plot or direction, but it comes with a DC alert - make sure you are sitting down and your mouth and hands are empty - or you are liable to end up spraying someone before you finish the book. ( )
  dragonasbreath | Oct 25, 2011 |
Book Description: New York: Villard Books, 1989. Very Good/Very Good. First Edition.
  Czrbr | Jun 7, 2010 |
I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge--
That myth is more potent than history.
I believe that dreams are more powerful than facts--
That hope always triumphs over experience--
That laughter is the only cure for grief.
and I believe that love is stronger than death.
Show-and-Tell was the very best part of school for me, both as a student and as a teacher

FROM THE AUTHOR TO THE READER

Show and Tell was the very best part of school for me, both as a student and as a teacher.

As a kid, I put more into getting ready for my turn to present than I put into the rest of my homework. Show-and-Tell was real in a way that much of what I learned in school was not. It was eduction that came out of my life experience.

As a teacher, I was always surprised by what I learned from these amateur hours. A kid I was sure I knew well could reach down into a paper bag he carried and fish out some odd-shaped treasure and attach meaning to it beyond my most extravagant expectations.

Again and again I learned that what I thought was only true for me...only valued by me ... only cared about by me... was common property.
The principles guiding this book are not far from the spirit of Show-and-Tell. It is stuff from home - that place in my mind and heart where I most truly live.

Fulghum

P.S. This volume picks up where I left off in ALL I REALLY NEED TO KNOW I LEARNED IN KINDERGARTEN, when I promised to tell about the time it was on fire when I lay down on it.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0804105820, Mass Market Paperback)

In his first phenomenal best-seller, EVERYTHING I NEED TO KNOW I LEARNED IN KINDERGARTEN, Robert Fulghum reminded readers everywhere of some plain and still-true truths. Now, picking up where he left off, Fulghum turns our eyes to show-and-tell, weddings, his own ten commandments, and more insightful and unique observations on what our world is and was....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:13 -0400)

A collection of thoughts to open our eyes to the wonder in everyday life.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,247,176 books! | Top bar: Always visible