Burn Marks by Sara Paretsky

Burn Marks (1990)

by Sara Paretsky

Series: V.I. Warshawski (6)

English (9)  German (1)  All languages (10)
As I've previously read some of the series after viewing the movie with Kathleen Turner as Victoria 'V.I.' Warshawski, also known as Vic, reading another novel in the series is returning to spend time with a favorite character as created by Sara Paretsky. In fact, after reading "Blood Shot" I was ready to read another and I picked up the next one in the series. I haven't read them all in order and the novels can be read as "stand alone" titles but as with any series, it's interesting to read the character development in the progression written by the author and see how the series unfolds.

In this novel, the reader meets Vic's Aunt Elena and also learns more of the background for the relationship between Vic and Sergeant Bobby Mallory. ( )
  Corduroy7 | Nov 16, 2017 |
Trouble starts when V.I.'s aunt Elena shows up late at night looking for help after the building she was living in burned. Elena has been a drunk, prostitute, irresponsible one in the family, her father's sister. Elena leaves and then returns with a young drug addict, Cerise. Vic starts an investigation into arson and digs up dark secrets in her old neighborhood. A police lieutenant, Montgomery, starts to come after her viciously. Her father's old friend, LT. Bobby Mallory, won't listen to her as usual. The bad guys get at least three tries at her until she figures out what is going on.
  taurus27 | Sep 11, 2017 |
Someone knocking on the door at 3 A.M. is never good news. For V.I. Warshawski, the bad news arrives in the form of her wacky, unwelcome aunt Elena. The fire that has just burned down a sleazy SRO hotel has brought Elena to V.I.'s doorstep. Uncovering an arsonist -- and the secrets hidden behind Elena's boozy smile -- will send V.I. into the seedy world of Chicago's homeless... into the Windy City's backroom deals and bedroom politics, where... ( )
  Tutter | Feb 28, 2015 |
Good but not among her best. ( )
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
Good but not among her best. ( )
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |

Rook, Ruudsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruitenberg, JosephineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruuska, IrmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Patti Shepherd, Jayanne Angell, and Bill Mullins,
who believed in my writing before I did.
My mother and I were trapped in her bedroom, the tiny upstairs room of our old house on Houston.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440208459, Paperback)

Someone knocking on the door at 3 A.M. is never  good news. For V.I. Warshawski, the bad news  arrives in the form of her wacky, unwelcome aunt Elena.  The fire that has just burned down a sleazy  SRO hotel has brought Elena to  V.I.'s doorstep. Uncovering an arsonist  -- and the secrets hidden behind Elena's boozy  smile -- will send V.I. into the  seedy world of Chicago's homeless... into the Windy  City's backroom deals and bedroom politics, where  new schemers and old cronies team up to get V.I.  off the case -- by hook, by crook, or by  homocide.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:53 -0400)

America's premier female private-eye writer, Sara Paretsky follows the success of her latest paperback bestseller Blood Shot with Burn Marks. This time the engaging V.I. Warshawski, a Chicago P.I., e corruption in local politics while investigating a case of arson.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,641,117 books! | Top bar: Always visible