Burn Marks (V.I. Warshawski Novels) by Sara…

Burn Marks (V.I. Warshawski Novels) (original 1990; edition 1991)

by Sara Paretsky (Author)

When her seedy and importunate Aunt Elena turns up on her doorstep at midnight having been burned out of her old people's home, V.I. Warshawski is exasperated rather than curious. Her interest is aroused however, when an old friend, now a politician, puts pressure on her to investigate.
Member:PhonyGal
Title:Burn Marks (V.I. Warshawski Novels)
Authors:Sara Paretsky (Author)
Info:Dell (1991), 416 pages
Tags:Read in 2016

Burn Marks by Sara Paretsky (1990)

English (10)  German (1)  All languages (11)
I listened to this as an audiobook--and honestly, I don't know if it is the narrator or the intent of the author but sometimes I feel that V.I. is not very smart in her choices. She'll say things she probably shouldn't--things that sometimes antagonize the very people she should be trying to avoid getting mad at her. She'll go do dangerous things on her own because she thinks the police won't do it or won't take her seriously etc.

I agree with another reviewer that this book seems dated. There were a few times in the story that I thought "a cell phone would make this so much easier" which also means the plot would have to have changed.

I haven't figured out why so many people don't recognize that V. I. can be independent and smart and still be a woman. Yes, she doesn't seem to want what most of her women acquaintances want (which seems to be a marriage and family) but that doesn't make her less of a woman.

Once again, we get a family member that we've never heard of before show up needing V.I.'s help. Once again I wonder how V.I. keeps her bills paid as she seems to devote quite a bit of time to this non-paying client. She doesn't seem to regularly check in with her answering service to get her messages. She doesn't seem to put in much time on paying clients or getting new paying clients. She doesn't ever seem to find time to go grocery shopping (which I guess is one less bill to pay).

I'm not sure I ever did disentangle the whole plot point involving Roz and her cousin's construction firm. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Sep 22, 2019 |
As I've previously read some of the series after viewing the movie with Kathleen Turner as Victoria 'V.I.' Warshawski, also known as Vic, reading another novel in the series is returning to spend time with a favorite character as created by Sara Paretsky. In fact, after reading "Blood Shot" I was ready to read another and I picked up the next one in the series. I haven't read them all in order and the novels can be read as "stand alone" titles but as with any series, it's interesting to read the character development in the progression written by the author and see how the series unfolds.

In this novel, the reader meets Vic's Aunt Elena and also learns more of the background for the relationship between Vic and Sergeant Bobby Mallory. ( )
  Corduroy7 | Nov 16, 2017 |
Trouble starts when V.I.'s aunt Elena shows up late at night looking for help after the building she was living in burned. Elena has been a drunk, prostitute, irresponsible one in the family, her father's sister. Elena leaves and then returns with a young drug addict, Cerise. Vic starts an investigation into arson and digs up dark secrets in her old neighborhood. A police lieutenant, Montgomery, starts to come after her viciously. Her father's old friend, LT. Bobby Mallory, won't listen to her as usual. The bad guys get at least three tries at her until she figures out what is going on.
  taurus27 | Sep 11, 2017 |
Someone knocking on the door at 3 A.M. is never good news. For V.I. Warshawski, the bad news arrives in the form of her wacky, unwelcome aunt Elena. The fire that has just burned down a sleazy SRO hotel has brought Elena to V.I.'s doorstep. Uncovering an arsonist -- and the secrets hidden behind Elena's boozy smile -- will send V.I. into the seedy world of Chicago's homeless... into the Windy City's backroom deals and bedroom politics, where... ( )
  Tutter | Feb 28, 2015 |
Good but not among her best. ( )
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |

Rook, Ruudsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruitenberg, JosephineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruuska, IrmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Patti Shepherd, Jayanne Angell, and Bill Mullins,
who believed in my writing before I did.
My mother and I were trapped in her bedroom, the tiny upstairs room of our old house on Houston.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,836,710 books! | Top bar: Always visible