Lost in a Good Book by Jasper Fforde

Lost in a Good Book (original 2002; edition 2002)

by Jasper Fforde

7,391190476 (4.09)425
Member:rightantler
Title:Lost in a Good Book
Authors:Jasper Fforde
Info:Hodder Paperbacks (2002), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 371 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Stewart's Read
Tags:Y04, fiction, humour

Lost in a Good Book by Jasper Fforde (2002)

Sideways Stories from Wayside School by Louis Sachar (changsbooks)
    changsbooks: If you loved the Wayside School series as a kid, it's time to graduate to Jasper Fforde's own brand of absurdism.
    The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Same kind of quirky humour and style
    Freddy and Fredericka by Mark Helprin (carlym)
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (TomWaitsTables)
    Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile by Bill Willingham (TomWaitsTables)
    Who's Afraid of Beowulf? by Tom Holt (Dr.Science)
    Dr.Science: The English author Tom Holt is relatively unknown in America, but very popular in England. If you enjoy Jasper Fforde or Christopher Moore you will most certainly enjoy Tom Holt's wry sense of English humor and the absurd. He has written a number of excellent books including Expecting Someone Taller, and Flying Dutch, but they may be difficult to find at your library or bookstore.… (more)
    Franklyn [2008 film] by Contender Films presents (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For washing and washing machine directions.

English (182)  German (2)  French (2)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (189)
Thursday Next is back and she's raring to save the literary world once again. With Goliath on her back, the SpecOps either trying to get her to do PR work or arrest her for information, and a bizarre sequence of coincidences seeming to be trying to kill her, it's hard to believe that Thursday's life could get any worse. Having find out her husband has been eradicated, Thursday is determined to find a way to get him back. Can Thursday find a way to keep her life away from danger or is it always bound to follow her?

I found this book to be better than the first, not that much better but still better. The humour throughout is bound to keep you constantly laughing.

I love Bowden Cable, Thursday's work partner, he just seems like such an awkward but weirdly funny guy. I even loved the Schitt brothers. Just the sight of their names made me giggle out loud - Jack Schitt and Brik Schitt-Hawse. I'm still a huge fan of Thursdays and was still rooting for her to succeed. I felt sorry for her when she discovered that her husband had been eradicated and there was little chance of her getting him back. Her time travelling dad played an amazing role in this book, always there to save his beloved daughter from trouble. Their relationship was definitely something sweet and loving. I did find Cordelia Flakk rather irritating. I could quite happily have slapped her - repeatedly.

The mysterious A.H.. Acheron's dead, so it can't possible be him, right? That was a brilliantly played out mystery - finding out who A.H. was. I was shocked at finding out who it was.

Thursday has finally learnt how to jump in and out of books - she even accesses her own memories and has conversations with them. That was interesting, especially now that's she's the apprentice of Miss. Haversham, who is determined to show young Thursday the ropes.

I'd say compared to the first this was more of a page turner. You felt more connected with the characters, you wanted to know more about what was going to happen to them.

I loved the scene where Thursday desperate for some extra cash so that she can pay her rent and keep her pet dodo, Pickwick, joins Spike on an adventure to recapture a S.E.B aka Supreme Evil Being. Spike is a character and a half and all of his excursions with Thursday always end up fast paced and full of action. He's loveable and harmless but with a job not many people would want to have.

I'm hoping the series just gets a bit better every time. It'd be a shame if we start going backwards and they become more like "The Eyre Affair" or worse. ( )
  Chicalicious | Jun 3, 2015 |
I really liked the The Eyre Affair, the first book in this series. I thought it was inventive, funny, creative, and interesting. So I expected alot out of this book. However, I was disappointed. Where the first book was funny, this book was mostly silly. I'm all for suspension of disbelief, but this book went way across that line into just weird. I actually felt like he was competing with Douglas Adams for silly twists of plot involving cosmic coincidences and time travel. It wasn't a horrible book -- I did finish it after all. But I was disappointed and I'm not sure I'll read the next book in the series. ( )
  twertz | Apr 23, 2015 |
I almost gave up - but by Chapter 4, I was hooked! Still, the cleverness can be cloying. ( )
  anitatally | Jan 31, 2015 |
I really love the Thursday Next series and this book was now exception. The book has it all: strong female characters, interesting plot twists, and excellent world building. It's funny and entertaining and I'm already on to the sequel. ( )
  Mothwing | Jan 4, 2015 |
In Lost in a Good Book and The Well of Lost Plots, Fforde gets a bit bogged down in all the details of the fictional universe.
added by Katya0133 | editGalef, David, Yale Review (Oct 1, 2008)

There is a certain self-delighted quality to all this cleverness that would probably become annoying if Fforde weren't so resolutely unclever about his own writing. By and large, the story bounds along in one-sentence paragraphs that J. K. Rowling would be proud of.

Jasper Ffordeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Koen, ViktorIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Perez, JosephCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roberts, MaggyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roberts, MariPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sastre, ElizabethNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This Book
is dedicated to assisstants everywhere.
You make it happen for them.
They couldn't do it without you.
Your contribution is everything.
Sample viewing figures for major TV networks in England, September 1985... I didn't ask to be a celebrity.
I didn't ask to be a celebrity.
I’ve been in law enforcement for most of my life and I will tell you right now there is no such offense as ‘attempted murder by coincidence in an alternative future by person or persons unknown.’
Poor, dear, sweet Jane! I would so hate to be a first-person character! Always on your guard, always having people reading your thoughts! Here we do what we are told but think what we wish. It is a much happier circumstance, believe me! - Marianne Dashwood
Bloophole: Term used to describe a narrative hole by the author that renders his/her work seemingly impossible. An unguarded bloophole may not cause damage for millions of readings, but then, quite suddenly and catastrophically, the book may unravel itself in a very dramatic fashion.
'Things,' Dad used to say, 'are a whole lot weirder than we can know.'
Attention, please. Passengers for the 11:04 DeepDrop to Sydney will be glad to know that the delay was due to too many excuses being created by the Gravitube’s Excuse Manufacturing Facility. Consequently we are happy to announce that since the excess excuses have now been used, the 11:04 DeepDrop to Sydney is ready for boarding at gate six.

Her adventures as a renowned Special Operative in literary detection have left Thursday Next yearning for a rest. But when the love of her life is eradicated by the corrupt multinational Goliath Corporation, Thursday must bite the bullet and moonlight as a Prose Resource Operative in the secret world of Jurisfiction, the police force inside the books. There she is apprenticed to Miss Havisham, the famous man-hater from Dicken's Great Expectations, who teaches her to book-jump like a pro. If she retrieves a supposedly vanquished enemy from the pages of Poe's "The Raven," she thinks Goliath might return her lost love, Landen. But her latest mission is endlessly complicated. Not only are there side trips into the works of Kafka and Austen, and even Beatrix Potter's The Tale of Flopsy Bunnies, Thursday finds herself the target of a series of potentially lethal coincidences, the authenticator of a newly discovered play by the Bard himself, and the only one who can prevent an unidentifiable pink sludge from engulfing all life on Earth.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142004030, Paperback)

The second installment in Jasper Fforde’s New York Times bestselling series follows literary detective Thursday Next on another adventure in her alternate reality of literature-obsessed England

The inventive, exuberant, and totally original literary fun that began with The Eyre Affair continues with New York Times bestselling author Jasper Fforde’s magnificent second adventure starring the resourceful, fearless literary sleuth Thursday Next. When Landen, the love of her life, is eradicated by the corrupt multinational Goliath Corporation, Thursday must moonlight as a Prose Resource Operative of Jurisfiction—the police force inside the BookWorld. She is apprenticed to the man-hating Miss Havisham from Dickens’s Great Expectations, who grudgingly shows Thursday the ropes. And she gains just enough skill to get herself in a real mess entering the pages of Poe’s “The Raven.” What she really wants is to get Landen back. But this latest mission is not without further complications. Along with jumping into the works of Kafka and Austen, and even Beatrix Potter’s The Tale of the Flopsy Bunnies, Thursday finds herself the target of a series of potentially lethal coincidences, the authenticator of a newly discovered play by the Bard himself, and the only one who can prevent an unidentifiable pink sludge from engulfing all life on Earth. It’s another genre-bending blend of crime fiction, fantasy, and top-drawer literary entertainment for fans of Douglas Adams and P. G. Wodehouse. Thursday’s zany investigations continue with The Well of Lost Plots. Look for the five other bestselling Thursday Next novels, including One of Our Thursdays is Missing and Jasper Fforde’s latest bestseller, The Woman Who Died A Lot. Visit jasperfforde.com for a ffull window into the Ffordian world!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:06 -0400)

The inventive, exuberant, and totally original literary fun that began with The Eyre Affair continues with Jasper Fforde's magnificent second adventure starring the resourceful, fearless literary sleuth Thursday Next. When Landen, the love of her life, is eradicated by the corrupt multinational Goliath Corporation, Thursday must moonlight as a Prose Resource Operative of Jurisfiction-the police force inside books. She is apprenticed to the man-hating Miss Havisham from Dicken's Great Expectations, who grudgingly shows Thursday the ropes. And she gains just enough skill to get herself in a real mess entering the pages of Poe's The Raven. What she really wants is to get Landen back. But this latest mission is not without further complications. Along with jumping into the works of Kafka and Austen, and even Beatrix Potter's The Tale of the Flopsy Bunnies, Thursday finds herself the target of a series of potentially lethal coincidences, the authenticator of a newly discovered play by the Bard himself, and the only one who can prevent an unidentifiable pink sludge from engulfing all life on Earth. Her adventures as a renowned Special Operative in literary detection have left Thursday Next yearning for a rest. But when the love of her life is eradicated by the corrupt multinational Goliath Corporation, Thursday must bite the bullet and moonlight as a Prose Resource Operative in the secret world of Jurisfiction, the police force inside books. There she is apprenticed to Miss Havisham, the famous man-hater from Dickens's Great Expectations, who teaches her to book-jump like a pro. If she retrieves a supposedly vanquished enemy from the pages of Poe's "The Raven," she thinks Goliath might return her lost love, Landen. But her latest mission is endlessly complicated. Not only are there side trips into the works of Kafka and Austen, and even Beatrix Potter's The Tale of Flopsy Bunnies, Thursday finds herself the target of a series of potentially lethal coincidences, the authenticator of a newly discovered play by the Bard himself, and the only one who can prevent an unidentifiable pink sludge from engulfing all life on Earth.… (more)

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,091,815 books! | Top bar: Always visible