Fables Vol 12: The Dark Ages by Bill…

Fables Vol 12: The Dark Ages (edition 2009)

by Bill Willingham

Rating:***
Tags:Fiction, Graphic novel

Fables, Vol. 12: The Dark Ages by Bill Willingham

4.25 stars

The Fables are recovering from the recent war, but there is another evil being coming for them. Fabletown is threatened and the Fables need to find someplace to go where they will all be safe.

In my opinion, this was one of the better volumes. I don't often "like" the villains, but this one is done really well, so I guess it's the closest I can come to liking a villain - or at least finding the villain somehow appealing and making the story more enjoyable, anyway. As always, there are a few side stories, as well, that are quite good in this volume. Really, really liked this one! ( )
  LibraryCin | Jul 8, 2014 |
returning to this one after a few years, this book is okay, basically mopping up after the Great War. bit of a compendium, with somewhat startling variations in the drawing of the characters. this series is very well plotted, with a very twisted set of storylines to follow. and i never read into it without thinking this was clearly the way Once Upon a Time on TV was meant to go, before they got mired in Disney. did they blatantly rip it off, or did negotiations fall through? they couldn't possibly have been unaware of it, already well established and clearly a viable model. ( )
  macha | May 31, 2014 |
This volume of the series takes the reader in many new directions from where you think it would goes at the conclusion of "War and Pieces." It's a great start of a few different story arcs that leave you wondering where they'll go next. ( )
  LouisVillains | Mar 20, 2014 |
3.5 stars because of Boy Blue's speech to Rose. YOU TELL HER, BLUE!

Other than that, WHY?? WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO ME? , the issue was the usual Fables experience(I am still waiting for Charming to show up from somewhere, anywhere, even if it's with half a face) - entertaining, humorous, heartbreaking and amazing beyond belief.

This was a very thoughtful issue and I appreciated the characters discussing so many ideas that I'd regarded as loose plot threads previously like how often are the Fables renewed? Do all of them come back? The conversation between Pinocchio and Fly just about broke my heart. I can't deny that Fly's right - why would anyone want their friend in this world? But without Blue, Fables just...lacks something. ( )
  ashpapoye | Jan 24, 2014 |
Okay, I admit it. It would be hard to have anything stand up crazy well next to the two trades that came before this one. But I felt like I was let down about here, because So Much TM was happening before this. All go go go of the build from the beginning of the series, so there was suddenly both fall out and the need to restart, which bulky.

The funeral was gorgeous. And well handled. The Emperor's new place in among the people of Fable Town was amusing, but then kind of just wearing. I wasn't all that interested in Freddy & The Mouse at all, or the Society of Seconds (though the latter does have a right to its point, if not by being looters). ( )
  wanderlustlover | Jul 24, 2013 |

Bill Willinghamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Allred, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Buckingham, MarkIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gross, PeterIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hahn, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
James JeanCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pepoy, AndrewIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This volume is dedicated to Stacy Sinner, who went into the woods, found my house of many stories there, and then built it for me.
- Bill Willingham
In loving memory of Marisa, Irma's Mum.
- Marck Buckingham
“Ready to go, pops?”

The great war between Fabletown and the mighty empire of the Adversary is over, but the victorious free Fables cannot escape the law of unintended consequences--in the post-war chaos of the Adversary's former realm, a terrible force is about to be unleashed, an evil that threatens not only Fabletown, but the entire mundane world.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,606,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible