Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Coping with Difficult People: The…

Coping with Difficult People: The Proven-Effective Battle Plan That Has… (edition 1988)

by Robert M. Bramson

Member:keren7
Title:Coping with Difficult People: The Proven-Effective Battle Plan That Has Helped Millions Deal with the Troublemakers in T
Authors:Robert M. Bramson
Info:Dell (1988), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback
Tags:read, own, social work

Coping with Difficult People by Robert M. Bramson

After reading through this book, I found it was too difficult to cope with difficult people.
  dangnad | Jul 12, 2017 |
6 audiocassettes
  BmoreMetroCouncil | Feb 9, 2017 |
The Tank, The Sniper, The Exploder; The Complainer; The Clam (Silent and Unresponsive); The Wonderfully Nice; The Negativist; The Bulldozer and The Balloon; The Indecisive; The Staller; Basic steps of coping, Thinking styles, Your boss, and Your own defensive behaviour. ( )
  kimgroome | Nov 7, 2012 |
Difficult people are a fact of life. Everyone knows someone or several someone's who are regularly just impossible to deal with. These are not people who occassionally have a bad day and act out, these are people who consistently display particular types of behavior that engender rancor and anger among those they deal with. In the everyday life one can generally avoid difficult people and the headaches they cause. In the workplace, on the other hand, difficult people are often in positions of authority, or are clients, or suppliers, or are in any number of other positions that make dealing with them necessary. That it is necessary does not, of course, make it any more pleasant. In fact, as the authors of Coping with Difficult People note, one of the primary causes of workplace dissatisfaction that spur people to leave their jobs is the heartburn caused by having to regularly deal with a difficult person on the job.

Coping with Difficult People is one of the rare books offering workplace advice that does not have an overarching theory described in its pages. Nor does the book have any kind of comprehensive advice to plug into your life to maximize your productivity or make your coworkers sing your praises. Instead, the book is about exactly what the title says: dealing with the difficult people you encounter in your life, and specifically the difficult people you have to deal with because your employment depends upon it. Instead, as the book identifies several different types of difficult people, it offers practical advice for dealing with each type, offering strategies designed to use the difficult person's personality traits to your advantage.

The book identifies broad categories of of difficult people: hostile agressive people, complainers, unresponsive people, incredibly nice people who never deliver, negative people who throw a wet blanket on everything, know-it-alls, and indecisive stallers with a few subtypes described in some of the larger categories. For example, the know-it-all category includes two types - people who actually are experts on something, and people who just puff themselves up as experts with no real knowledge of the subject at hand. The book takes each type in turn, walking the reader through examples of the behaviour displayed by that particular brand of difficult person, showing the reader how to identify eactly what kind of difficult person they are dealing with, and then offering concrete pointers on how to deal with them, defuse their behavior, and possibly influence them to do what you want them to do, or at the very least to prevent them from unloading their nastiness on you.

Of all the books I have read that offer tips on how to make one's working life more tolerable, this is the one that I found had the most immediate practical value. Because the author elected to deal with the problem in discrete segments using individually tailored solutions, rather than trying to come up with some sort of unifying theory to explain all of the difficult behaviors, the advice is detailed and specific, and thus quite useful. Although there will, of course, be outliers who will not respond to the techniques set forth in this book, for the most part, using the methods as presented will probably make one's working life that much easier. For anyone who has to deal with someone who always complains, or tries to roll over them like a runaway tank, simply won't mkake a decision, or any number of other annoying habits, this book is a must read.

This review has also been posted to my blog Dreaming About Other Worlds. ( )
  StormRaven | Sep 28, 2010 |
I can say only that this book worked a like charm when I used it during a tense family situation several years ago. I studied it on the plane, used what I learned as soon as I met the ogre, and pretty much had her eating out of my hand during the following weeks.

I wish I had known about it long, long ago. In fact, maybe I should re-read it to help my current family life run more smoothly. ( )
  IreneF | Dec 12, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440202019, Mass Market Paperback)

Bosses, friends, family members, they've made  your life hell -- until now! Based on fourteen years  of research and observation, Dr. Robert Bramson's  proven-effective techniques are guaranteed to help  you right the balance and take charge of your  life. Learn how to:

Stand up to anyone --  without fighting.

Blunt a sniper's  attack.

Get a clam to talk.

Cut off a  Sherman tank at the pass.

Manage  bulldozers.

Get stallers off the dime.

Move a complainer into a problem-solving  mode.

Learn the six basic steps that allow you to  cope with just about anyone. Reclaim the power  the rightfully belongs to you in any relationship!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:49 -0400)

How to deal with bullies, complainers, know-it-alls, and everyone else who gives you a hard time in business and life.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,474,528 books! | Top bar: Always visible