Memoir from Antproof Case : a novel by Mark…

Memoir from Antproof Case : a novel (edition 1995)

by Mark Helprin

Title:Memoir from Antproof Case : a novel
Authors:Mark Helprin
Info:New York : Harcourt Brace & Co., c1995.
Collections:Your library, Favorites, Read
Tags:american literature, novel, contemporary novel, coffee, 1st edition

Memoir from Antproof Case by Mark Helprin

Recently added byprivate library, axel2, scotloth, Jeffarooo, esterlibrarian, VashonJim
    A Soldier of the Great War by Mark Helprin (AmberA)
    AmberA: Two of my favorite books! Both very well-written.

A roller-coaster ride of a book. At times, the writing is stunning. Still not sure how I view the book as a whole though. ( )
  VashonJim | Sep 5, 2015 |
An 80-year old American, living on his remote perch overlooking the Brazilian coast, puts to paper - and to us- his life story. And it's an unconventional life story to say the least. Forced into adulthood early, a tragic altercation prompted by his fanatical hatred of coffee lands him in a Swiss insane asylum. Later, at 40, he becomes an ace fighter pilot in WWII, twice surviving bailouts; meets and eventually repels the love of his life; becomes a brilliant economic-political scout for a huge investment bank; and, upon cruel demotion, schemes to relieve the bank of a few thousand gold bricks, a preposterous undertaking that the author somehow makes credible. Rather late in the telling we learn of the horrible family tragedy that informs our narrator's oddities, including his unflagging disdain for the coffee bean. An emotional revelation. The entire story has a larger- than-life essence, and in fact verges into the realm of fantasy again and again. Unique and well written, the best advice is to just jump aboard and be transported. The book reminds me of "The Tin Drum" by Grass, and Robertson Davies' " Fifth Business". ( )
  JamesMScott | Jul 25, 2014 |
An amazing story of an incredible life. Helprin is a phenomenal writer who draws you into the work. One of my favourite books of all time. ( )
  drsnowdon | Jul 26, 2010 |
This is one of my favorite of Helprin's exquisite novels, with some of his very best writing. The ending is one of the most perfect that I've ever read. ( )
  wanack | Apr 11, 2010 |
A quick reading long story. Memoir of a man's entire life racked and lifted by events within and beyond his control. A well written book which certainly calls into question the protagonists' self opinions.
I may never drink coffee again-that's not true but it could happen after absorbing this Author's whimsical driftings through time, space and thought. How bad is it to be rich? How difficult is it to have murdered a teacher? Is a crash landing all it's made out to be? First love burns as intensely as your desire to keep reading this story's 'vistas', travels and moments of self-reflection. Franque ( )
1 vote franque23 | Mar 5, 2009 |
By indirections find directions out. - Hamlet, II i
Call me Oscar Progresso.

From the bestselling author of A Winter's Tale and A Soldier of the Great War comes a work of astounding prose. Helprin combines adventure, satire, flights of transcendence, and high comedy with memories of a place that no longer exists to tell the story of a man who, in the face of the world's cruelty, refuses to stop loving.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:03 -0400)

The bittersweet memoir of an aging man-of-the-world. In a tone tinged with humor and regret he describes his many lives, from banker to fighter pilot, to inmate of a mental asylum, commenting on every subject under the sun, including his visceral hate of coffee.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,865,193 books! | Top bar: Always visible