Memoir from Antproof Case : a novel by Mark…

Memoir from Antproof Case : a novel (edition 1995)

by Mark Helprin

671None14,339 (3.85)14
Member:buffalopoet
Title:Memoir from Antproof Case : a novel
Authors:Mark Helprin
Info:New York : Harcourt Brace & Co., c1995.
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:***1/2
Tags:american literature, novel, contemporary novel, coffee, 1st edition

Memoir from Antproof Case by Mark Helprin

A Soldier of the Great War by Mark Helprin (AmberA)
    AmberA: Two of my favorite books! Both very well-written.

An amazing story of an incredible life. Helprin is a phenomenal writer who draws you into the work. One of my favourite books of all time. ( )
  drsnowdon | Jul 26, 2010 |
This is one of my favorite of Helprin's exquisite novels, with some of his very best writing. The ending is one of the most perfect that I've ever read. ( )
  wanack | Apr 11, 2010 |
I have really enjoyed many of Mark Helprin's novels but was not as pleased with this one. There wasn't the same sense of grandeur that Freddy and Fredericka or A Winter's Tale carry, nor the same humor. It is interspersed with funny moments and Helprin's typical quirky thoughts but somehow didn't hold together as well. ( )
  yhaduong | Jul 1, 2009 |
A quick reading long story. Memoir of a man's entire life racked and lifted by events within and beyond his control. A well written book which certainly calls into question the protagonists' self opinions.
I may never drink coffee again-that's not true but it could happen after absorbing this Author's whimsical driftings through time, space and thought. How bad is it to be rich? How difficult is it to have murdered a teacher? Is a crash landing all it's made out to be? First love burns as intensely as your desire to keep reading this story's 'vistas', travels and moments of self-reflection. Franque ( )
1 vote franque23 | Mar 5, 2009 |
Mark Helprin is one of my favorite authors, because of his ability to combine hilarious absurdity with moving earnestness. We see this quality in Memoir, although we have to work a bit harder to discern what's going on than I did with the previous Helprin novels I read, Winter's Tale and Freddy and Fredericka (F&F was my favorite book of 2008).

In Memoir, our narrator is an eighty-year-old man, born in the US, orphaned, raised in a Swiss home for the insane, educated at Harvard... we learn all these details in different sections of the memoir. He is now nearing the end of his life, teaching English as a second language in Brazil, cheerfully training his students to greet guests of high rank with choice obscenities. He reflects on his experiences as a pilot in WWII, his life as an investment banker, the many women he has loved, and his incessant war against the world's greatest source of evil, coffee. He is focused on protecting his memories and the people who have populated them; hence the antproof case in which his memoir is stored.

Helprin's style supports his narrator's bravado and his quasi-magical view of the world. He combines lyrical descriptions with improbable incidents, personal insights with absurd obsessions. I enjoy his writing tremendously, but he wanders quite a bit in this novel; it's more work than others I've read, which is not in itself a problem, but the reward is somewhat less. I suspect more would become clear with a re-read, but it's a long book, and there are many others waiting to be read. Recommended, but not as highly as others of his. ( )
2 vote Jim53 | Jan 1, 2009 |
By indirections find directions out. - Hamlet, II i
Call me Oscar Progresso.

From the bestselling author of A Winter's Tale and A Soldier of the Great War comes a work of astounding prose. Helprin combines adventure, satire, flights of transcendence, and high comedy with memories of a place that no longer exists to tell the story of a man who, in the face of the world's cruelty, refuses to stop loving.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:27 -0400)

The bittersweet memoir of an aging man-of-the-world. In a tone tinged with humor and regret he describes his many lives, from banker to fighter pilot, to inmate of a mental asylum, commenting on every subject under the sun, including his visceral hate of coffee.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,463,348 books! | Top bar: Always visible