Calvin Coconut: Trouble Magnet by Graham…

Calvin Coconut: Trouble Magnet (2009)

by Graham Salisbury

This book shares a fragment of the life of Calvin Coconut, a 4th grade Hawaiian boy who (which the title explains) is drawn to trouble. I had an interesting perspective reading this book, since I happen to be very familiar with present-day Hawaiian culture. The book definitely stays true to Hawaiian ideals and the experience of growing up in that environment.
  kather8 | Jun 7, 2015 |
I love that this book takes place in Hawaii, and deals with issues that a lot of young adults, especially boys would go through at that time of their life. The illustrations are fitting for the story. I could see using this as a resource in classrooms to help children feel relatable to those issues.
  ssho2 | Mar 16, 2015 |
Calvin Cocunut reminds me of myself when I was that age. Always on the go and not wanting to do the wrong thing, but sometimes it just happens! Graham Salisbury came to our school this year. He was fantastic.
  Talwold | May 12, 2014 |
This book will relate to any child who has a bad day at school, and spills over into a week or more. The characters are necessary to the plot as they give perspective to the story. Stella's character is a bit too mean right out of the box, but it add to the conflict. Any parent that would make their child sleep in a shed outside for a mean guest, and have this mean little girl as a babysitter, is questionable and I strayed from the story just thinking about it.. Some elements were too overplayed. The bullying was well portrayed, and funny, and any kid could relate. ( )
  jordan70 | Mar 15, 2014 |
I love all the Calvin Coconut books. It so strongly evokes Hawaii and the culture there, I felt like I was back there. Plus Calvin is just so likable. ( )
  Tahleen | Feb 16, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 037584600X, Paperback)

A humorous chapter book about a fourth-grade boy, full of the fun of growing up in Hawaii.

Calvin Coconut lives near the beach in Kailua, Hawaii, with his mom and his little sister. All his friends live there, too.

Mom says: "You're the man of the house, Cal." Which means: Be responsible. Calvin tries, but fun—and trouble—follows him wherever he goes, even in the classroom, also known as Mr. Purdy's Fourth-Grade Boot Camp. And how can he be the man of the house after teenage Stella-from-Texas arrives to be the live-in babysitter and steps all over Calvin's turf?

Award-winning author Graham Salisbury welcomes younger readers to a lively new series with great illustrations by Jacqueline Rogers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:02 -0400)

Nine-year-old. Calvin catches the attention of the school bully on the day before he starts fourth grade, while at home, the unfriendly, fifteen-year-old daughter of his mother's best friend has taken over his room.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,889,232 books! | Top bar: Always visible