Calvin Coconut: Trouble Magnet by Graham…

Calvin Coconut: Trouble Magnet (2009)

by Graham Salisbury

This is another series with a young male hero that has a light heart while being a quick, easy read. I think this book would appeal to the majority of 3rd- 5th graders that read it. I like that Salisbury portrays Hawaii and particularly Oahu authentically and not as the touristy version you often see on tv. Salisbury grew up there and I've spent a lot of time there so it was nice to see the way her incorporated the culture into the story. I'm not sure if this series would hold my interest if someone asked me to read the next few books but I enjoyed Calvin and the way the diversity of cultures including food and language were presented.

Cultural connections - this would be fun if you were studying the 50 states in the classroom or as part of a library display with books set in each state. ( )
  ECrowwwley | Apr 13, 2016 |
I always love how Graham Salisbury makes the everyday multiculturalism of Hawaii come alive for young readers. This is the first of a promising new series about 4th grader Calvin Coconut and the everyday scrapes he gets into, in this case, running afoul of bully Tito, losing a pet centipede in class, and almost losing a man's kiteboard. From the descriptions, Calvin's family is of modest means and cluttered life (Dad left the family to pursue a singing career; Mom's boyfriend helps out around the house; the family takes in a friend's troubled teenaged daughter). But Calvin takes everything in stride, island-style. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
This book shares a fragment of the life of Calvin Coconut, a 4th grade Hawaiian boy who (which the title explains) is drawn to trouble. I had an interesting perspective reading this book, since I happen to be very familiar with present-day Hawaiian culture. The book definitely stays true to Hawaiian ideals and the experience of growing up in that environment.
  kather8 | Jun 7, 2015 |
I love that this book takes place in Hawaii, and deals with issues that a lot of young adults, especially boys would go through at that time of their life. The illustrations are fitting for the story. I could see using this as a resource in classrooms to help children feel relatable to those issues.
  ssho2 | Mar 16, 2015 |
Calvin Cocunut reminds me of myself when I was that age. Always on the go and not wanting to do the wrong thing, but sometimes it just happens! Graham Salisbury came to our school this year. He was fantastic.
  Talwold | May 12, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 037584600X, Paperback)

A humorous chapter book about a fourth-grade boy, full of the fun of growing up in Hawaii.

Calvin Coconut lives near the beach in Kailua, Hawaii, with his mom and his little sister. All his friends live there, too.

Mom says: "You're the man of the house, Cal." Which means: Be responsible. Calvin tries, but fun—and trouble—follows him wherever he goes, even in the classroom, also known as Mr. Purdy's Fourth-Grade Boot Camp. And how can he be the man of the house after teenage Stella-from-Texas arrives to be the live-in babysitter and steps all over Calvin's turf?

Award-winning author Graham Salisbury welcomes younger readers to a lively new series with great illustrations by Jacqueline Rogers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:02 -0400)

Nine-year-old. Calvin catches the attention of the school bully on the day before he starts fourth grade, while at home, the unfriendly, fifteen-year-old daughter of his mother's best friend has taken over his room.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,259,282 books! | Top bar: Always visible