Calvin Coconut: Trouble Magnet by Graham…

Calvin Coconut: Trouble Magnet (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Graham Salisbury

Member:debnance
Title:Calvin Coconut: Trouble Magnet
Authors:Graham Salisbury
Info:Wendy Lamb Books (2009), Hardcover, 160 pages

Calvin Coconut: Trouble Magnet by Graham Salisbury (2009)

Calvin Cocunut reminds me of myself when I was that age. Always on the go and not wanting to do the wrong thing, but sometimes it just happens! Graham Salisbury came to our school this year. He was fantastic.
  Talwold | May 12, 2014 |
This book will relate to any child who has a bad day at school, and spills over into a week or more. The characters are necessary to the plot as they give perspective to the story. Stella's character is a bit too mean right out of the box, but it add to the conflict. Any parent that would make their child sleep in a shed outside for a mean guest, and have this mean little girl as a babysitter, is questionable and I strayed from the story just thinking about it.. Some elements were too overplayed. The bullying was well portrayed, and funny, and any kid could relate. ( )
  jordan70 | Mar 15, 2014 |
I love all the Calvin Coconut books. It so strongly evokes Hawaii and the culture there, I felt like I was back there. Plus Calvin is just so likable. ( )
  Tahleen | Feb 16, 2014 |
This is a fun story for young boys and teens. I don't remember there being to many male characters when I was growing up. The themes of bullying, caring for your family and growing up all come into play. The setting in Hawaii is also a different and interesting twist.
  Victoria_Martin | Dec 6, 2013 |
Calvin Coconut: Trouble Magnet is the first in a new series by Graham Salisbury. Trouble always seems to find Calvin even when he's doing his best to avoid it. At home he has to give up his room to a girl from Texas. At school he's got a couple of bullies to avoid. To make matters worse, one of the bullies has a crush on the girl from Texas!

The Calvin Coconut books are set on the island of Oahu. As Graham Salisbury explains on the series website, he has set the books in his old elementary school. What this means is that the characters in Calvin Coconut seem real without being an obvious lesson on Hawaiian multiculturalism.

Instead of focusing on Hawaiian culture being different, Calvin and his friends learn through trial and error how different Texas culture. What strikes them as normal strikes Calvin's house guest as weird. Being in a Pacific rim state too, I find Hawaiian culture more normal than Texan, so I can relate to Calvin's bewilderment.

The books are best for children in second through fifth grade. There are delightful illustrations by Jacqueline Rogers to accompany the silliest of the scenes in the book.

There are four books planned and I've read two. I hope to read the others.( ( )
  pussreboots | Aug 5, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 037584600X, Paperback)

A humorous chapter book about a fourth-grade boy, full of the fun of growing up in Hawaii.

Calvin Coconut lives near the beach in Kailua, Hawaii, with his mom and his little sister. All his friends live there, too.

Mom says: "You're the man of the house, Cal." Which means: Be responsible. Calvin tries, but fun—and trouble—follows him wherever he goes, even in the classroom, also known as Mr. Purdy's Fourth-Grade Boot Camp. And how can he be the man of the house after teenage Stella-from-Texas arrives to be the live-in babysitter and steps all over Calvin's turf?

Award-winning author Graham Salisbury welcomes younger readers to a lively new series with great illustrations by Jacqueline Rogers.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:26 -0400)

Nine-year-old. Calvin catches the attention of the school bully on the day before he starts fourth grade, while at home, the unfriendly, fifteen-year-old daughter of his mother's best friend has taken over his room.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,447,022 books! | Top bar: Always visible