Nightmares & Dreamscapes by Stephen King

Nightmares & Dreamscapes (original 1993; edition 2009)

by Stephen King

Info:Pocket Books (2009), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback, 912 pages
Collections:Your library, SIM card
Rating:*****
Tags:horror, short stories

Nightmares & Dreamscapes by Stephen King (1993)

English (37)  French (2)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All (41)
NIGHTMARES AND DREAMSCAPES BY STEPHEN KING is a series of short& novella stories that goes back to Kings early days . He always has said he likes short stories & in my opinion I think NIGHTMARES AND DREAMSCAPES is one of his best short stories books. So , Constant Reader, as Mr.King calls us fans of his, fasten your seatbelts and enjoy the ride. Of all of his short stories I have to think my total favorite is CHATTERY TEETH which is in this book. My son, who is also a King Constant Reader agrees. While on vacation I happened to find a set of Chattery Teeth & brought it home as a gag present for my son! He loved them! So sit back, turn the lights on, put on your favorite tunes & enjoy NIGHTMARES AND DREAMSCAPES BY STEPHEN KING! ( )
  DDJTJ1 | Apr 11, 2017 |
Nightmares & Dreamscapes. . .
Works like this are a prime example of why I don’t consider myself a Stephen King fan – but a “Student.”When I was in my twenties, I sent numerous drafts to publishers, receives the dreaded rejection letters and vowed to do better. Not only have I learned more about the art of writing from reading Stephen’s works, but I have been vindicated by his wide array of subjects, characters, themes and plots. The word “WILD” does not come close when describing Stephen’s imagination and works. Here we have a man who has cut the ties of conformity and dived deep into the “What If’s and Why Not’s,” after all, isn’t that what fiction is supposed to do – cause us to question, think, ponder and – most of all – imagine?

•Dolan’s Cadillac:
This story of revenge and grief made me ask myself if I am capable of putting in the work needed to acquire my goals? To what end am I willing to go to protect me and mine in the face of a threat? Incredibly: I read the story, then stumbled across the DVD. I enjoyed it as much as I did the story.
Watch the trailer on YouTube: https://youtu.be/71Mv-f_08j4

•Suffer The Little Children:
It would seem that Stephen had a premonition of the school-shootings that would rock our nation, over and over again. The mental breakdown that ended with the deaths of school-children is a nightmare, indeed. But to think that it was carried out, not by a pedophile, a bullied youth or a deranged madman, but a respected member of the faculty. . . Hmmm?

•Popsy:
This is EVERY PARENTS NIGHTMARE! A child wonders off – never to be found again. When my children were small, I received much scorn and criticism because I purchased a wrist-tether. I was accused of parading my youngest (a rambunctious toddler) on a dog leash. Regardless of the nasty comments, I was adamant about doing everything in my power to keep my children off the milk cartons. Wasn’t it said that perfect paranoia is perfect awareness? Unlike people who tend to think bad things only happen to bad people; Check out my blog on that subject: http://securechick7.blogspot.com/2014/06/lock-down.html
I happen to know that anything can happen to anyone at any time. So I took the comments and continued to tether my youngsters until I knew they were old enough to understand the dangers posed by other people (all people) because there are genuine monsters out there (and sometimes under our own roof) and it was my job to teach them to recognize what those monstrous behaviors were and to report to me if they ever felt threatened by them.
I must add that I really liked the depth of this story and the cute ending.

•Chattery Teeth:
Darn good horror. Full of everything we’ve come to appreciate form the master, himself.

•Rainy Season: I held my breath while reading this one because, as a divorcee, I hate the way men can have a tendency to dismiss my concerns as “silly.” I know that my internal-alert-system may hover at high-alert quite often at times, but that’s only because I have been through a lot and I know that danger loves striking the moment we get comfortable.
Check out this YouTube clip: https://youtu.be/j9FIw8Nb6KM

•My Pretty Pony:
Reading this story made me think of my Dad and the deep conversations we shared while working in the fields on his farm.

•Sorry, Right Number: Scared the bejeebers out of me.

•The House on Maple Street and Ten O’Clock People were great.
I don’t even like sports, but “Head Down” kept me glued till the very end.
Thanks again, Steve – for the thrills & Chills…SMILE!!! ( )
1 vote Madamxtra | Feb 25, 2017 |
Review: Nightmares & Dreamscapes by Stephen King.

In this book, story after story, several published here for the first time, Stephen King will take you to places you’ve never been before, places that are both dark and vividly illuminated. However, I have to say if you’re looking for any strong revelations or groundbreaking creative work from King you will not really find it here. I am a great fan but this book of stories was not motivating or captivating. Some stories I enjoyed but a lot of them didn’t justify King’s work. They lacked all substance of a completed story. Some would start out good but fall apart with no reasonable meaning for the ending. I know there will be readers who will like some of the stories, in fact, I did too…

I enjoyed “The House on Maple Street”, “The Moving Finger”, “My Pretty Pony””, and others but they were not the written style of Stephen King I’m use to. I’m glad I read this book, because it did have some potential. It showed another side to Stephen King. I have read other short stories of his and in my opinion I like his novels better. I was left disappointed and kept hoping the next story was going to be the highlight and rush I was looking for…I’m still a fan, and yes, I will read more of his stories. I believe all authors’ work hard at what they write and sometimes it’s just hit or miss, graciously said…….
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
At 692 pages, "Nightmares & Dreamscapes" is a doorstopper of a book. I planned to read it a story at a time over a period of weeks, but as usual got hooked on King and read it straight through, right from his usual folksy introduction (each of which I am sure he writes solely for me!) to the charming little moral folktale tacked on at the end. The stories are to say the least, diverse. I would call this collection "King's Scrapbook. There are 20 stories in "Nightmares & Dreamscapes". I don't think many readers will like ALL of the stories, but there are such a variety, that most of the readers will like SOME of the stories, and some will like MOST of the stories. Chances are everyone will find one or two that will stay with them forever.

"A really good collection of short stories by the 'fearmister" himself. ( )
1 vote Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
The allure for this short story collection was that it was narrated by a cast of marvelous actors and actresses. Tim Curry, Whoopi Goldberg, Rob Lowe, Gary Sinese, Jerry Garcia, and more narrate this haunting and poetic short story collection by the master of horror. Some were doozies but others were utterly captivating. "Dolan's Cadillac" and "The End of the Whole Mess" were two of my favorites in this large collection. Overall a great read for fans of horror and Stephen King. Perhaps not his best short story collection, but readers will be sure to unearth a few gems that they won't soon forget. ( )
1 vote ecataldi | Apr 13, 2016 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Körber, JoachimÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kröger, KlausCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of Thomas Williams, 1926-1991: poet, novelist, and great American storyteller.
When I was a kid I believed everything I was told, everything I read, and every dispatch sent out by my own overheated imagination. (Introduction)

Short story collection containing the following titles:

| Dolan's Cadillac
| The Doctor's Case
| Umney's Last Case
| Head Down
| Brooklyn August

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451180232, Mass Market Paperback)

Many people who write about horror literature maintain that mood is its most important element. Stephen King disagrees: "My deeply held conviction is that story must be paramount.... All other considerations are secondary--theme, mood, even characterization and language."

These fine stories, each written in what King calls "a burst of faith, happiness, and optimism," prove his point. The theme, mood, characters, and language vary, but throughout, a sense of story reigns supreme. Nightmares & Dreamscapes contains 20 short tales--including several never before published--plus one teleplay, one poem, and one nonfiction piece about kids and baseball that appeared in the New Yorker. The subjects include vampires, zombies, an evil toy, man-eating frogs, the burial of a Cadillac, a disembodied finger, and a wicked stepfather. The style ranges from King's well-honed horror to a Ray Bradbury-like fantasy voice to an ambitious pastiche of Raymond Chandler and Ross MacDonald. And like a compact disc with a bonus track, the book ends with a charming little tale not listed in the table of contents--a parable called "The Beggar and the Diamond." --Fiona Webster

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:37 -0400)

A collection of short stories including classic tales of the macabre and the monstrous, cutting-edge explorations of the borderlands between good and evil, brilliant pastiches of Chandler and Conan Doyle and much more.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,165,299 books! | Top bar: Always visible