Nightmares & Dreamscapes by Stephen King

Nightmares & Dreamscapes (original 1993; edition 2009)

by Stephen King

Info:Pocket Books (2009), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback, 912 pages
Collections:Your library, SIM card
Rating:*****
Tags:horror, short stories

Nightmares & Dreamscapes by Stephen King (1993)

English (33)  French (2)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (37)
The allure for this short story collection was that it was narrated by a cast of marvelous actors and actresses. Tim Curry, Whoopi Goldberg, Rob Lowe, Gary Sinese, Jerry Garcia, and more narrate this haunting and poetic short story collection by the master of horror. Some were doozies but others were utterly captivating. "Dolan's Cadillac" and "The End of the Whole Mess" were two of my favorites in this large collection. Overall a great read for fans of horror and Stephen King. Perhaps not his best short story collection, but readers will be sure to unearth a few gems that they won't soon forget. ( )
  ecataldi | Apr 13, 2016 |
Must change edition
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
I am a Stephen King fanatic, and I enjoyed this collection of his short stories. Some are winners, some not so much, but still worth the read. ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |
The most interesting thing about this book is that I was arrested while reading it.

A collection of mediocre stories. He's improved since his previous collection, Skeleton Crew, and here he never descends to the dire awfulness of some of those stories, but there's nothing here that really stands out. Many of the stories are marred by tedium or silliness.

That said, when you're in a cell for 15 hours you're grateful for an undemanding read. It gets an extra star from me for that reason. ( )
  Lukerik | Nov 26, 2015 |
There's a variety in this collection in addition to short stories, including an essay, a poem and a reimagined Hindu parable.

Some of my favorite stories are "The Night Flier," "The Moving Finger," "Umney's Last Case" and "The Ten O'clock People." ( )
  SebastianHagelstein | Apr 7, 2015 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Körber, JoachimÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kröger, KlausCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of Thomas Williams, 1926-1991: poet, novelist, and great American storyteller.
When I was a kid I believed everything I was told, everything I read, and every dispatch sent out by my own overheated imagination. (Introduction)

Short story collection containing the following titles:

| Dolan's Cadillac
| The Doctor's Case
| Umney's Last Case
| Head Down
| Brooklyn August

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451180232, Mass Market Paperback)

Many people who write about horror literature maintain that mood is its most important element. Stephen King disagrees: "My deeply held conviction is that story must be paramount.... All other considerations are secondary--theme, mood, even characterization and language."

These fine stories, each written in what King calls "a burst of faith, happiness, and optimism," prove his point. The theme, mood, characters, and language vary, but throughout, a sense of story reigns supreme. Nightmares & Dreamscapes contains 20 short tales--including several never before published--plus one teleplay, one poem, and one nonfiction piece about kids and baseball that appeared in the New Yorker. The subjects include vampires, zombies, an evil toy, man-eating frogs, the burial of a Cadillac, a disembodied finger, and a wicked stepfather. The style ranges from King's well-honed horror to a Ray Bradbury-like fantasy voice to an ambitious pastiche of Raymond Chandler and Ross MacDonald. And like a compact disc with a bonus track, the book ends with a charming little tale not listed in the table of contents--a parable called "The Beggar and the Diamond." --Fiona Webster

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:37 -0400)

A collection of short stories including classic tales of the macabre and the monstrous, cutting-edge explorations of the borderlands between good and evil, brilliant pastiches of Chandler and Conan Doyle and much more.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,776 books! | Top bar: Always visible