Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return by…

Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return (edition 2005)

by Marjane Satrapi

Member:reflexandresolve
Title:Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return
Authors:Marjane Satrapi
Info:Pantheon (2005), Edition: Later printing, Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:Recommend Me, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:graphic novel, autobiography, coming of age, feminism, history, Iran, Islam, Islamic Revolution, memoir, Middle East, non-fiction, religion, revolution, women

Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return by Marjane Satrapi (Author)

English (80)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  English (82)
I didn't like her. She made a lot of bad choices and din't try to fix anything for a long time. I mean it's not always ok to blame things on war. It's not like the whole world was just after her, I hated her attitude and how she smoked. ( )
  Brinlie.Jill.Searle | Nov 22, 2016 |
It was not as good as the first volume as the graphic novel format didn't seem as original. Still, it was fascinating to see the differences between public and private life for Iranians and how Marjane tried to fit in with life in Europe. ( )
  martensgirl | May 12, 2016 |

Originally posted here

Unfortunately I did not enjoy this book quite as much as the first. Persepolis 2 follows Marjane in Austria where she struggles with homesickness and fitting in, she is a 'fish out of water' in the west where she struggles with the cultural differences. I felt really sorry for Marjane and I really emphasised with her. She doesn't make many great choices in her quest to be accepted by her friends and boyfriend; there is a real sense of a conflict between how she was taught to behave versus peer pressure to have sex, experience drugs etc.

Marjane returns to Iran after four years in the second half of the book and I found that the story became a lot more interesting. Marjane feels tremendous guilt for how she behaved in Austria and felt like a failure. It was so touching to see how supportive and loving her family were in welcoming her back home. Before long, Marjane starts to question whether she can live in Iran as it has changed for the worse and she plans to live abroad permanently.

Marjane's story touched my heart in many ways, I really emphasised with her journey maturing into a young woman and being utterly lost in her life. There wasn't as much humour as the first book and I felt the story had a darker tone. Overall though I really enjoyed reading Marjane's story and I would recommend it to everyone. ( )
  4everfanatical | May 2, 2016 |
In this volume, the war in Iran is over, and after several generally unhappy and difficult years in Austria, Marjane decides to go home. As expected, she struggles with fitting in in Tehran--she did not experience the war years, she must stay covered in public, and women have few rights. But she makes friends, goes to school, and marries. And then leaves for France at the age of 24.

This volume is not as strong as the first, but then the events occurring are not as dangerous either. The black and white illustration still works well. There are definitely some absurd situations, especially revolving around her time in art school.

Dreesie | Apr 12, 2016 |
While I enjoyed the vignettes of the author's life, I wasn't as engaged in the overall story as I was while reading the first installment of this graphic memoir. I didn't hate it; I didn't love it. ( )
  BooksForYears | Apr 1, 2016 |
Unlike the first book, it’s disjointed, tawdry, and unfocused. The story of her young adulthood doesn’t demonstrate the insight that made the first book so special.

May Satrapi continue to blend the personal and the political to such extraordinary effect.
added by stephmo | editBoston Globe, Carlo Wolff (Sep 14, 2004)

Ultimately, Persepolis 2 provides another valuable window into an alien (yet all too human) way of life, but it's a far more difficult book than Persepolis. A child who lets her harsh environment interfere with her empathy for others is understandable and tragic, but an adult with the same problem borders on distressing solipsism.

Satrapi's voice is very much her own, and the way the clash between European and Middle Eastern culture has played out in her life makes for compelling reading. What her book lacks, though, is perspective on the cultural revolution in which she and her circle lived (and sometimes died).
added by stephmo | editSlate, Douglas Wolk (Sep 7, 2004)

Still, her rebellious stunts never undermine Satrapi's unconditional love for her troubled homeland—which, in these times of religious fervor and political gain, resonates all the more poignantly.

Satrapi, MarjaneAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Menu, Jean-ChristopheCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents
November 1984. I am in Austria.
Persepolis was originally published in 4 volumes. Some later editions, especially in the U.S., combined volumes 1-2 into one work Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood; volumes 3-4 were combined into Persepolis: The Story of a Return. Keep this in mind when combining/separating.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375714669, Paperback)

Picking up the thread where her debut memoir-in-comics concluded, Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return details Marjane Satrapi's experiences as a young Iranian woman cast abroad by political turmoil in her native country. Older, if not exactly wiser, Marjane reconciles her upbringing in war-shattered Tehran with new surroundings and friends in Austria. Whether living in the company of nuns or as the sole female in a house of eight gay men, she creates a niche for herself with friends and acquaintances who feel equally uneasy with their place in the world.

After a series of unfortunate choices and events leave her literally living in the street for three months, Marjane decides to return to her native Iran. Here, she is reunited with her family, whose liberalism and emphasis on Marjane's personal worth exert as strong an influence as the eye-popping wonders of Europe. Having grown accustomed to recreational drugs, partying, and dating, Marjane now dons a veil and adjusts to a society officially divided by gender and guided by fundamentalism. Emboldened by the example of her feisty grandmother, she tests the bounds of the morality enforced on the streets and in the classrooms. With a new appreciation for the political and spiritual struggles of her fellow Iranians, she comes to understand that "one person leaving her house while asking herself, 'is my veil in place?' no longer asks herself 'where is my freedom of speech?'"

Satrapi's starkly monochromatic drawing style and the keenly observed facial expressions of her characters provide the ideal graphic environment from which to appeal to our sympathies. Bereft of fine detail, this graphic novel guides the reader's attention instead toward a narrative rich with empathy. Don't be fooled by the glowering self-portrait of the author on the back flap; it’s nearly impossible to read Persepolis 2 without feeling warmth toward Marjane Satrapi. --Ryan Boudinot

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:02 -0400)

The great-granddaughter of Iran's last emperor and the daughter of ardent Marxists continues her description of growing up in Tehran--a country plagued by political upheaval and vast contradictions between public and private life.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,629,402 books! | Top bar: Always visible