Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return by…

Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return (edition 2005)

by Marjane Satrapi

Member:reflexandresolve
Title:Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return
Authors:Marjane Satrapi
Info:Pantheon (2005), Edition: Later printing, Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:graphic novel, autobiography, coming of age, feminism, history, Iran, Islam, Islamic Revolution, memoir, Middle East, non-fiction, religion, revolution, women

Persepolis II: The Story of a Return by Marjane Satrapi (Author)

English (69)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (71)
Persepolis 2 took some time getting started but the story picked up once she was back in Iran. ( )
  pussreboots | Oct 6, 2014 |
This one wasn't actually on my hold list, but when I saw it in the staff recommendations section of the library, I had to pick it up, despite how large my stack was already. It's been many years since I read the first installment of this story, but still, opening this book to her familiar, heavy black and white illustration style was like catching up with an old friend.

Satrapi is from Iran, and this book is her memoir of her teen years in Europe, sent away by her family to keep her safe during years of fighting back home, then her return to Iran, college there, marriage. Satrapi tries to fit in and make a life for herself wherever she goes, but struggles to discover where she really belongs.

I would like to slip Satrapi's books into the hands of everyone who confuses the people of Iran with its government. Also recommended to anyone who has ever felt alienated from the culture of their birth. ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
Persepolis 2 picks up where Persepolis left off. Here's a blurb from Amazon: In 1984, Marjane flees fundamentalism and the war with Iraq to begin a new life in Vienna. Once there, she faces the trials of adolescence far from her friends and family, and while she soon carves out a place for herself among a group of fellow outsiders, she continues to struggle for a sense of belonging. Finding that she misses her home more than she can stand, Marjane returns to Iran after graduation. Her difficult homecoming forces her to confront the changes both she and her country have undergone in her absence and her shame at what she perceives as her failure in Austria. Marjane allows her past to weigh heavily on her until she finds some like-minded friends, falls in love, and begins studying art at a university. However, the repression and state-sanctioned chauvinism eventually lead her to question whether she can have a future in Iran.

I liked this book. Read it.

Okay, okay, that's not a serious review, and I know it. This is one of those books where I'm having a hard time expressing myself - and I don't think it's the book, I'm pretty sure I'm just in a mental slump. But if you read Persepolis you clearly need to read the rest of the story - so get your hands on this book. Or better yet, buy the sweet Complete Persepolis edition, which I didn't know existed until I'd already picked up book one. If you haven't read Persepolis, go read it! After reading that I became an instant fan of Satrapi's work. Graphic novel memoirs? Hell yes! I'd read more memoirs if they were in this format. In fact, after reading Persepolis, I ordered Persepolis 2, Embroideries and The Sigh from Amazon and I have her other book, Chicken With Plums coming from a used bookseller. So Satrapi had me hooked from the first book I read.

Personally, I think that says more about her work than my tired little brain can express right now. Seriously though, I'm having a hard time expressing what I love about this book - but love it I did, just like volume one. I love Marjane's style - it's simple and effective and for such a short book, she gave me a very deep look into her life! I can't wait to read the rest of her work! ( )
  MillieHennessy | Sep 17, 2014 |
I loved the first book. The second is also really wonderful, but parts of it are so very painful to read. Other parts have too much didacticism on the page, which is maybe a European thing and maybe a weakness of trying to explain Iranian politics in a few comics panels.

Still a great view of Iranian life and the lives of Iranian women. I should've read these books years ago. ( )
  sageness | Feb 7, 2014 |
This continues Marijane's story right from where the first book leaves off. Marijane has been sent to Austria by her parents to escape the war and to be safe. Unfortunately, not knowing the culture or language, she has a hard time fitting in. After four years of taking care of herself in Austria, she decides to go home to Iran. The war has ended and now Marijane has to try to fit in to a different world than she'd left four years earlier. Part 2 covers ten years from her mid- and late teens through her early twenties.

I liked this one as much as the first one. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jan 2, 2014 |
Unlike the first book, it’s disjointed, tawdry, and unfocused. The story of her young adulthood doesn’t demonstrate the insight that made the first book so special.

May Satrapi continue to blend the personal and the political to such extraordinary effect.
added by stephmo | editBoston Globe, Carlo Wolff (Sep 14, 2004)

Ultimately, Persepolis 2 provides another valuable window into an alien (yet all too human) way of life, but it's a far more difficult book than Persepolis. A child who lets her harsh environment interfere with her empathy for others is understandable and tragic, but an adult with the same problem borders on distressing solipsism.

Satrapi's voice is very much her own, and the way the clash between European and Middle Eastern culture has played out in her life makes for compelling reading. What her book lacks, though, is perspective on the cultural revolution in which she and her circle lived (and sometimes died).
added by stephmo | editSlate, Douglas Wolk (Sep 7, 2004)

Still, her rebellious stunts never undermine Satrapi's unconditional love for her troubled homeland—which, in these times of religious fervor and political gain, resonates all the more poignantly.

Satrapi, MarjaneAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Satrapi, MarjaneIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Menu, Jean-ChristopheCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents
November 1984. I am in Austria.
Persepolis was originally published in 4 volumes. Some later editions, especially in the U.S., combined volumes 1-2 into one work Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood; volumes 3-4 were combined into Persepolis: The Story of a Return. Keep this in mind when combining/separating.
This edition is the second volume of the four volume set. Please do not combine with Persepolis: The Story of a Return which contains volumes 3 and 4.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375714669, Paperback)

Picking up the thread where her debut memoir-in-comics concluded, Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return details Marjane Satrapi's experiences as a young Iranian woman cast abroad by political turmoil in her native country. Older, if not exactly wiser, Marjane reconciles her upbringing in war-shattered Tehran with new surroundings and friends in Austria. Whether living in the company of nuns or as the sole female in a house of eight gay men, she creates a niche for herself with friends and acquaintances who feel equally uneasy with their place in the world.

After a series of unfortunate choices and events leave her literally living in the street for three months, Marjane decides to return to her native Iran. Here, she is reunited with her family, whose liberalism and emphasis on Marjane's personal worth exert as strong an influence as the eye-popping wonders of Europe. Having grown accustomed to recreational drugs, partying, and dating, Marjane now dons a veil and adjusts to a society officially divided by gender and guided by fundamentalism. Emboldened by the example of her feisty grandmother, she tests the bounds of the morality enforced on the streets and in the classrooms. With a new appreciation for the political and spiritual struggles of her fellow Iranians, she comes to understand that "one person leaving her house while asking herself, 'is my veil in place?' no longer asks herself 'where is my freedom of speech?'"

Satrapi's starkly monochromatic drawing style and the keenly observed facial expressions of her characters provide the ideal graphic environment from which to appeal to our sympathies. Bereft of fine detail, this graphic novel guides the reader's attention instead toward a narrative rich with empathy. Don't be fooled by the glowering self-portrait of the author on the back flap; it’s nearly impossible to read Persepolis 2 without feeling warmth toward Marjane Satrapi. --Ryan Boudinot

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:26 -0400)

The great-granddaughter of Iran's last emperor and the daughter of ardent Marxists continues her description of growing up in Tehran--a country plagued by political upheaval and vast contradictions between public and private life.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,429,512 books! | Top bar: Always visible