Kanzi: The Ape at the Brink of the Human…

Kanzi: The Ape at the Brink of the Human Mind

by Sue Savage-Rumbaugh

The subject matter was entertaining, but at times the writing style was a bit boring. With that said, it's non-fiction and I spend most of my reading time in the world of fiction so I suppose the book deserves a break.
I'm sure this one will have more staying power than a good yarn, even if I needed to read it while the sun was up to avoid the old head-bob routine. ( )
  smitkevi | Oct 12, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 047115959X, Paperback)

The remarkable story of a "talking" chimp, a leading scientist, and the profound insights they have uncovered about our species

He has been featured in cover stories in Time, Newsweek, and National Geographic, and has been the subject of a "NOVA" documentary. He is directly responsible for discoveries that have forced the scientific community to recast its thinking about the nature of the mind and the origins of language. He is Kanzi, an extraordinary bonobo chimpanzee who has overturned the idea that symbolic language is unique to our species. This is the moving story of how Kanzi learned to converse with humans and the profound lessons he has taught us about our animal cousins, and ourselves.

". . . The underlying thesis is informative and well argued . . . Savage-Rumbaugh's results are impressive." — The Washington Post

"This popular, absorbing, and controversial account is recommended." — Library Journal

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:50 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,265,252 books! | Top bar: Always visible