dismiss

Lives of the Poets: A Novella and Six…

Lives of the Poets: A Novella and Six Stories (original 1984; edition 2010)

by E.L. Doctorow

At the peak of his literary fame and fortune, Jonathan walks out on his wife, moves into a Manhattan loft, and goes back through his life, reinventing his world through his writer's imagination.
Member:amandafrench
Title:Lives of the Poets: A Novella and Six Stories
Authors:E.L. Doctorow
Info:Random House Trade Paperbacks (2010), Paperback, 160 pages
Collections:

Lives of the Poets: Six Stories and a Novella by E. L. Doctorow (1984)

The collection includes six short stories and a novella. The first four stories were decent, but not great. Some of them just needed more time to develop everything. I wasn’t impressed with the last two stories. They were just too postmodern for my taste.

The novella, also called Lives of the Poets, was an 80 page stream of consciousness rambling narrated by a writer, that mostly consisted of his thoughts about his friends’ failed and failing relationships. It was hard to read because everything ran together without a real plot. I actually found I liked it more when I was reading for a few minutes at a time during television commercials. When I was just reading with no breaks, I couldn’t concentrate on the text.

I do have to give Doctorow credit for using the word “flooping,” a word I thought my family had made up to describe our dog’s movements in the park. My dad and I both about died laughing over this sentence because it’s so silly and because we were so surprised that anyone else used that word: “The simplest thing, which corner to turn two blocks from home, can leave you as eerily as a hundred fifty thousand gray bats flooping out of Hubbard’s Cave.” I actually just gave him an extra star on this book for that. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
I'm not sure if this was a hit-and-miss collection of stories so much as maybe a constant "bump." There's no arguing Doctorow is talented and can turn a phrase, but I was reading these stories because I kept thinking there would be just a little bit more to the characters . . . just a little bit more to make it a good read rather than an okay read. By the time I closed the book, I think I was left with an okay read.

Thinking about it more, I feel like his writing is similar to Nadine Gordimer's. I can't put my finger on why though.

I'd give Doctorow another shot, maybe his characters are better in other books. ( )
  Sean191 | Sep 22, 2010 |
Could not get into several of the stories. ( )
  Poemblaze | Aug 7, 2006 |

Doctorow, E. L.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Toorn, Willem vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In 1955 my father died with his ancient mother still alive in a nursing home.
1. The writer in the family. -
2. The water works. -
3. The hunter. -
4. The foreign legation. -
5. The leather man. -
6. Lives of the poets.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,874,446 books! | Top bar: Always visible