The PreHistory of The Far Side: A 10th…

The PreHistory of The Far Side: A 10th Anniversary Exhibit (Volume 14) (original 1989; edition 1989)

by Gary Larson (Author)

Series: The Far Side (Prehistory)

"On this the tenth anniversary of drawing The Far Side, I thought it might be time to reveal some of the background, anecdotes, foibles and "behind the scenes" experiences related to this cartoon panel. (This may or may not be of interest to anyone, but my therapist says it should do me a lot of good)"... A chronicle of The Far Side's birth and evolution complete with various mutations and annotations from readers and the author.… (more)
Member:tkenney426
Title:The PreHistory of The Far Side: A 10th Anniversary Exhibit (Volume 14)
Authors:Gary Larson (Author)
Info:Andrews and McMeel Publishing (1989), Edition: 1st, 288 pages
Tags:fiction, American, twentieth-century, comic strips, The Far Side, Gary Larson

The PreHistory of the Far Side : A 10th Anniversary Exhibit by Gary Larson (1989)

This is a collection of anecdotes, sketches, and yes, cartoons too, showing the humble origins of The Far Side.

Allow me for a moooment to chew the cud, as I ruminate on the many merits of The Far Side. It makes chickens chortle. It makes goats guffaw. It makes spiders snicker. It makes T-rexes titter. It makes bovines bellow. (Certain people seem to find it funny, too.) Mooove over Garfield, because this cartoon takes the cow pie! And maybe I am milking the cow references a little much, but what the hay, right?

Five stars (because cows don't have thumbs). ( )
  SDaisy | Jun 13, 2020 |
741.5
  OakGrove-KFA | Mar 29, 2020 |
Its a Far Side book- and its way better than the yearly compilations that have come out. While this book only contains a small selection of Gary Larson's Output, it contains some of his best work. The commentary adds so much to the book, as well as his first draft sketch. He even alluded to the caption mix with Dennis the Menace, which is hilarious. I found it sad that some of the comics had hate mail, which makes no sense for a goofy comic. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Dec 29, 2019 |
The beginnings of Far Side. ( )
  Huaquera | Jun 26, 2019 |
Highly enjoyable collection of Larson's work, in part because he shows a number of unpublished cartoons, and explains the process of editorial review. Plus, there's large numbers of cartoons that no doubt adorn the office walls of scientists to this day. Recommended. ( )
  EricCostello | Feb 24, 2019 |

Gary Larsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Block, ErniePhotographer (Front Cover)secondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Clark, ChipPhotographer (Front Cover)secondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lamont, DanPhotographer (Back Cover)secondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die. -Mel Brooks
On this, the tenth anniversary of drawing The Far Side, I thought it might be time to reveal some of the background, anecdotes, foibles, and "behind-the-scenes" experiences related to this cartoon panel. (Foreword)
I loved to draw as a kid.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,765,637 books! | Top bar: Always visible