Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdock

Dairy Queen (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Catherine Gilbert Murdock

Member:albanypubliclibrary
Title:Dairy Queen
Authors:Catherine Gilbert Murdock
Info:HMH Books for Young Readers (2007), Edition: 288, Paperback, 274 pages
Collections:obob '13

Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdock (2006)

Playing With the Boys: A PrettyTOUGH Novel by Liz Tigelaar (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories are about girls who end up playing football with the boys. Playing with the Boys is about a girl who uses her soccer skills to become kicker when she doesn't get a spot on the soccer team. Dairy Queen is about DJ learning how to be herself - which includes playing football with the boys.… (more)
    Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Another high school girl playing football with the boys - and with a crush on her rival. I enjoyed both, though Dairy Queen is more coming of age and Catching Jordan is more of a romance.
    Hope Was Here by Joan Bauer (meggyweg)
    Gingerbread by Rachel Cohn (Fluffybookfaerie)
    Bad Kitty by Michele Jaffe (jbarry)
    jbarry: fabulously realistic teen narrators!
    Monsoon Summer by Mitali Perkins (missmaddie)
    Devilish by Maureen Johnson (jbarry)
    jbarry: quirky teens at their best!
    A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Dairy Queen and A Northern Light are both about a young woman doing something unconventional that leads her to reexamine her family relationships. In A Northern Light, it's the protagonist's love of words and writing. Both stories have a similar feel with regard to the girls' relationship with their father and the burdens their rural lives place on their dreams to be different.… (more)

Admittedly, I'm not a fan of football, so I found a lot of the play-by-play football descriptions boring. I liked D.J., the protagonist, but I found the book ineffective. ( )
  VanChocStrawberry | Apr 2, 2018 |
I discovered this while browsing the YA section in the library one day. It was one of those moments when you have no idea what you want to read, but you know you're in the mood for something YA. It's a quick read. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
Growing up with a friend who lived on a dairy farm, it was definitely a cute and relatable read. It was a little sad to see homophobia shoved in there as though all farmers don't understand what "gay" means, but otherwise, it was an enjoyable read. ( )
  bleached | Jul 11, 2016 |
Great book - quick read. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
Well, I grew up in a small town in WI and this is close enough to being authentic that I'm not terribly perturbed. But, seriously, no matter how strong (in all meanings of the word) DJ is, she cannot do all the farm chores herself and still have time to fret about all the things that teenagers need to fret about. Mom's town job clearly makes all the money that sends the boys on their adventures.

But hey, it's still an utterly (no, I'm not going there, but you can if you want) bewitching book. I absolutely love the totally original premise and characters. And I disagree with other reviewers - the cover is what grabbed me.

Now I see it's first in a series. Hm. Well, I was sad to say goodbye to the Schwenks and to Red Bend when I closed the book, so I might look for them. Otoh, the ending was satisfying, so maybe not. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
To James, and Liz, and Mr. Webster
This whole enormous deal wouldn’t have happened, none of it, if Dad hadn’t messed up his hip moving the manure spreader.
It's like you're a cow. And one day in about fifty years they're going to put you on a truck and take you away to die and you're not even going to mind that either.

When you don’t talk, there’s a lot of stuff that ends up not getting said.

Harsh words indeed, from Brian Nelson of all people. But, D. J. can’t help admitting, maybe he’s right.

When you don’t talk, there’s a lot of stuff that ends up not getting said.

Stuff like why her best friend, Amber, isn’t so friendly anymore. Or why her little brother, Curtis, never opens his mouth. Why her mom has two jobs and a big secret. Why her college-football-star brothers won’t even call home. Why her dad would go ballistic if she tried out for the high school football team herself. And why Brian is so, so out of her league.

When you don’t talk, there’s a lot of stuff that ends up not getting said.

Welcome to the summer that fifteen-year-old D. J. Schwenk of Red Bend, Wisconsin, learns to talk, and ends up having an awful lot of stuff to say.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:15 -0400)

After spending her summer running the family farm and training the quarterback for her school's rival football team, sixteen-year-old D.J. decides to go out for the sport herself, not anticipating the reactions of those around her.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,422,205 books! | Top bar: Always visible