The Scarecrow by Michael Connelly

The Scarecrow (2009)

by Michael Connelly

Series: Jack McEvoy (4), Rachel Walling (5)

English (64)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All (70)
Jack McEvoy, the investigative newspaper reporter that brought down ‘The Poet’, is back as the main protagonist in “The Scarecrow”. With the internet making print news obsolete, the book opens with Jack being given two weeks’ notice. After years of service as the crime beat reporter, he’s being laid off. He’s agreed to train his replacement on the crime beat, a girl named Angela who the paper is able to pay much less than Jack. Jack is sad but not bitter, and decides to go out with a blaze of glory and write the biggest, most Pulitzer-worthy news story of his professional career. He gets involved in the case of a young hoodlum accused of murdering a young woman and putting her in the trunk of a car. The man proclaims his innocence, but the real trouble starts when Jack believes him and starts investigating. For help he calls an old friend, FBI agent Rachel Walling.

Connelly as usual has written a complete page-turner that you are reluctant to set down. I really enjoyed reading about Jack again, and how the internet has affected his career. It’s sad to realize there are newspaper reporters all over the world that are now in Jack’s position. In my opinion it would have made for a better story if the reader hadn’t been introduced to the Scarecrow and known his identity all along. I think the only good reason to include the bad guy is to examine his psyche or personal history, which wasn’t the case here. I would have rather tried to figure it out and be surprised. But that is a small complaint and overall I loved the story. I hope we haven’t seen the last of Jack. Few authors are better at creating characters that you care about than Michael Connelly.
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
good mystery latest by LA writer — he is alive at end — more to come —

Twelve years ago, crime Reporter Jack McEvoy came face to face with a brutal serial killer nicknamed The Poet. Emotionally scarred by the encounter, Jack also found fame and fortune as the newspaperman who live to tell the tale.

But now Jack is yesterday's news, and he's about to be forced out of the Los Angeles Times amid the latest budget cuts. Angry and defiant, he's determined to out with a bang, using his final days at the paper to write the definitive story of his career.
  christinejoseph | Jun 20, 2017 |
Read condensed version still very good kept me in suspense till the end. Well worth reading ( )
  BryceV | May 17, 2017 |
This was far from the quality of writing I've come to expect from the author. The cast of characters was two-dimensional. There was no sense at all that he knew anything about the things he was writing. He does best when writing about Harry Bosch. I have not yet truly enjoyed any of his other characters when they were the focus of a book. I gave this three stars only because it was a mindless way to pass an even more boring afternoon. ( )
  kewaynco | Apr 10, 2016 |
Jack McEvoy is a journalist who has been given his notice. He wants to leave with a bang so is soon on the case of catching a murderer, the Scarecrow.

This version I read is a condensed edition for the Readers Digest. Not sure how much of the original was taken out but I don't think for me it made little difference.

This is the second book to feature Jack McEvoy who I found quite a pleasing character. I do always prefer to read in order but don't think it mattered too much on this occasion.

The story I found quite average. I've only ever read one other book before by Michael Connelly which was The Lincoln Lawyer and that I also found an average ok read. With this story it was based around computers, tripwire, hacking and I'm afraid I'm not the most of technical people do sometimes the story can be abit mind boggling. From what I learnt about Jacks previous book I have a feeling i may have enjoyed that better.

Overall a quick ok thriller and I finished the book so I must have been ok with it. ( )
  tina1969 | Apr 10, 2016 |
Read this thriller for the thrills, the computerized crime spree. Or read it for the sad reality of what's happening to almost all newspapers. Or read it to take in the work of a writer who can tell a gripping story through characters who live and breathe.

A return to form for Mr. Connelly and his sharpest book since “The Lincoln Lawyer”... “The Scarecrow” begins its crime plot routinely, with more emphasis on the press than on the investigation. Then it gets jacked up to a high level of suspense by the Scarecrow’s sinister powers in the Internet’s darker reaches. And then it turns back into something familiar, as Mr. Connelly allows the long-range demands of his career to diminish this particular book’s ending.

Michael Connellyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Tettamanti, StefanoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Traverso, GiulianaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To James Crumley,
For "The Last Good Kiss"
Carver paced in the control room, watching over the front forty.
You don't have to be an interrogator at Abu Ghraib to know that time never favors the suspect.

Police find an abandoned car in the beach parking lot in Santa Monica. They find the body of Denise Babbit in the trunk.

AUDIO EDITION:
Jack McEvoy is at the end of the line as a crime reporter. Forced to take a buy-out from the LA Times, he's got 30 days left on the job. His last assignment? Training his replacement, a low-cost reporter just out of J-school. But Jack has other plans for his exit. He is going to go out with a bang - a final story that will win him newspaper journalism's highest honour - a Pulitzer prize. Jack focuses on Alonzo Winslow, a 16-year-old drug dealer from the projects who has confessed to police that he brutally raped and strangled one of his crack clients.

But as Jack delves into the story he soon realises that Alonzo's so-called confession is bogus. And the investigation leads him to a killer known as the Scarecrow...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316166308, Hardcover)

Book Description
Forced out of the Los Angeles Times amid the latest budget cuts, newspaperman Jack McEvoy decides to go out with a bang, using his final days at the paper to write the definitive murder story of his career.

He focuses on Alonzo Winslow, a 16-year-old drug dealer in jail after confessing to a brutal murder. But as he delves into the story, Jack realizes that Winslow's so-called confession is bogus. The kid might actually be innocent.

Jack is soon running with his biggest story since The Poet made his career years ago. He is tracking a killer who operates completely below police radar--and with perfect knowledge of any move against him. Including Jack's.

Michael Connelly and Janet Evanovich: Author One-to-One
In this Amazon exclusive, we brought together blockbuster authors Michael Connelly and Janet Evanovich and asked them to interview each other. Find out what two of the top authors of their genres have to say about their characters, writing process, and more. Janet Evanovich is the bestselling author of the Stephanie Plum novels, including Finger Lickin' Fifteen, twelve romance novels, the Alexandra Barnaby novels, and How I Write: Secrets of a Bestselling Author. Read on to see Janet Evanovich's questions for Michael Connelly, or turn the tables to see what Connelly asked Evanovich.

Janet EvanovichEvanovich: So dude,... Okay, you're back in Florida. Do you ever get to the beach? And when and if you get to the beach...is Harry Bosch with you? And what kind of beachwear are you guys sporting? Flip-flops? Crocs? Speedo? Board shorts?

Connelly: I go to the beach often on weekends. Board shorts are required and I wear flip-flops with the built in bottle opener. Comes in handy. In Florida we rarely have waves, unless there is a hurricane in the Gulf. So I have taken up paddle-boarding, which essentially involves a big surfboard that you stand on and paddle. Still a balancing act, but easier than surfing, and you don't need waves.

Evanovich: What will a bookstore look like in 2020? Will we all be downloading?

Connelly: Good question. Since it is only eleven years from now, I think there will still be a solid population of "old school" readers who need the book in their hands. The question is, will they get it at a bookstore or will we have a Kindle 9.0 device that manufactures a book for you at home, complete with photo of author in a bomber jacket.

Evanovich: If everybody is downloading in 2020 what the heck will we be signing on book tour? Body parts? Kindle cases?

Connelly: I signed two Kindles yesterday. One person asked me to leave room for signatures from you and Dennis Lehane. So next time you're in Seattle she'll be in your line.

Evanovich: Do you eat when you write? Beer nuts? M&Ms? Just coffee? What keeps you from falling out of the chair in a narcoleptic stupor?

Connelly: Have you ever seen what eating Cheetos can do to a keyboard? I have to say I am addicted to Coke. I always have a glass of it nearby. I eat a lot of candy, too. Keeps me going. Smarties are a great writing tool. I often need to raid my daughter's stash and then there is trouble on the home front.

Evanovich: Are you a messy guy or a neat guy? Do you keep clutter on your desk? In your head? Are there soda cans and crumpled fast food wrappers rolling around on the floor of your car?

Connelly: I keep a clean car but a desk that gets progressively messier as I write a book. When I am finished with the book, I clean up the desk—and eat all the stray Smarties found under the paperwork. The clean desk then promotes the start of the next book.

Evanovich: The new book, The Scarecrow sounds terrific, and I know it's followed by Harry Bosch in Nine Dragons in the fall. Does your publisher prefer one series over another? And do you find one series to be more commercially viable than another?

Connelly: They let me do what I want. I like writing about Harry Bosch and he's pretty popular, but usually when I write a standalone it widens the audience a bit.

Evanovich: Want to meet me in a bar in Ft. Myers? Is that halfway?

Connelly: Name the place.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:58 -0400)

Newspaperman Jack McEvoy decides to use his final days at the LA Times to write the definitive murder story of his career. Focusing on the case of Alonzo Winslow, a 16-year-old drug dealer in jail after confessing to a brutal murder, Jack realizes that Winslow's so-called confession is bogus and that the real killer is operating completely below police radar--and with perfect knowledge of any move against him.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,078,889 books! | Top bar: Always visible