The Scarecrow by Michael Connelly

The Scarecrow (2009)

by Michael Connelly

Series: Jack McEvoy (4), Rachel Walling (5)

English (56)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (62)
Loved this book and finished in one day-love the Jack McEvoy series. Brilliant writing by Connelly---get the audio as Peter Giles is outstanding!

McEvoy is at the end of the line as a crime reporter. Forced to take a buy-out from the Los Angeles Times as the newspaper grapples with dwindling revenues, he's got only a few days left on the job. His last assignment? Training his replacement, a low-cost reporter just out of journalism school. But Jack has other plans for his exit. He is going to go out with a bang--a final story that will win the newspaper journalism's highest honor a Pulitzer prize. ( )
  JudithDCollins | Nov 26, 2014 |
Jack McEvoy is at the end of the line as a crime reporter. Once a hotshot in the newsroom, Jack is now in the crosshairs of the latest set of layoffs at the Los Angeles Times. He decides to go out with a bang, using his final days at the paper to write the definitive murder story of his career. Jack focuses on Alonzo Winslow, a sixteen-year-old drug dealer in jail after confessing to the brutal murder of a young woman found strangled in the trunk of her car. Jack plans to write about how societal dysfunction and neglect created a teenage killer. But as he delves into the story, Jack realizes the Winslow's so-called confession is bogus. The kid might actually be innocent. When Jack connects the LA Trunk murder to an earlier murder in Las Vegas, he is off and running on the biggest story he's had since The Poet crossed his path years before. This time Jack is onto a killer who has worked completely below police and FBI radar - and with perfect knowledge of any move against him. What Jack doesn't know is that his investigation has inadvertently set off a digital trip wire. The killer knows Jack is coming - he's ready. ( )
  jepeters333 | Oct 7, 2014 |
Rachel Walling, but no Harry Bosch. A crime story set against a backdrop of failing newspapers starring Jack McEvoy of Poet fame. I think it could have been a little longer to better tie in Western Data and the crime spree, but it was relatively clear. Think character development of the Scarecrow and his crew was a little lacking, maybe could have been done with less back and forth with McEvoy and his news room buddies. Overall, a good read ( )
  skinglist | Sep 27, 2014 |
A page turner but a bit formulaic. Characters don't really have much depth or complexity. ( )
  sianpr | Jul 9, 2014 |
This is probably one of my favorite Michael Connelly books. I've read everything he's ever written, and actually started with "The Poet" when a friend handed me the paperback and said, "Ya gotta read this".

This book revisits Jack McEvoy, the reporter from "The Poet", and it touches on a few of Connelly's other books peripherally. I won't get too much into the plot, because you'll want to read it, but I will say that the ending was VERY satisfying. Sometimes there are better things than jail.

Lori Anderson

Lori Anderson:The Store
Pretty Things:The Blog
Facebook ( )
  limamikealpha | Jun 5, 2014 |
Read this thriller for the thrills, the computerized crime spree. Or read it for the sad reality of what's happening to almost all newspapers. Or read it to take in the work of a writer who can tell a gripping story through characters who live and breathe.

A return to form for Mr. Connelly and his sharpest book since “The Lincoln Lawyer”... “The Scarecrow” begins its crime plot routinely, with more emphasis on the press than on the investigation. Then it gets jacked up to a high level of suspense by the Scarecrow’s sinister powers in the Internet’s darker reaches. And then it turns back into something familiar, as Mr. Connelly allows the long-range demands of his career to diminish this particular book’s ending.

Michael Connellyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tettamanti, StefanoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Traverso, GiulianaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To James Crumley,
For "The Last Good Kiss"
Carver paced in the control room, watching over the front forty.
You don't have to be an interrogator at Abu Ghraib to know that time never favors the suspect.

Police find an abandoned car in the beach parking lot in Santa Monica. They find the body of Denise Babbit in the trunk.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316166308, Hardcover)

Book Description
Forced out of the Los Angeles Times amid the latest budget cuts, newspaperman Jack McEvoy decides to go out with a bang, using his final days at the paper to write the definitive murder story of his career.

He focuses on Alonzo Winslow, a 16-year-old drug dealer in jail after confessing to a brutal murder. But as he delves into the story, Jack realizes that Winslow's so-called confession is bogus. The kid might actually be innocent.

Jack is soon running with his biggest story since The Poet made his career years ago. He is tracking a killer who operates completely below police radar--and with perfect knowledge of any move against him. Including Jack's.

Michael Connelly and Janet Evanovich: Author One-to-One
In this Amazon exclusive, we brought together blockbuster authors Michael Connelly and Janet Evanovich and asked them to interview each other. Find out what two of the top authors of their genres have to say about their characters, writing process, and more. Janet Evanovich is the bestselling author of the Stephanie Plum novels, including Finger Lickin' Fifteen, twelve romance novels, the Alexandra Barnaby novels, and How I Write: Secrets of a Bestselling Author. Read on to see Janet Evanovich's questions for Michael Connelly, or turn the tables to see what Connelly asked Evanovich.

Janet EvanovichEvanovich: So dude,... Okay, you're back in Florida. Do you ever get to the beach? And when and if you get to the beach...is Harry Bosch with you? And what kind of beachwear are you guys sporting? Flip-flops? Crocs? Speedo? Board shorts?

Connelly: I go to the beach often on weekends. Board shorts are required and I wear flip-flops with the built in bottle opener. Comes in handy. In Florida we rarely have waves, unless there is a hurricane in the Gulf. So I have taken up paddle-boarding, which essentially involves a big surfboard that you stand on and paddle. Still a balancing act, but easier than surfing, and you don't need waves.

Evanovich: What will a bookstore look like in 2020? Will we all be downloading?

Connelly: Good question. Since it is only eleven years from now, I think there will still be a solid population of "old school" readers who need the book in their hands. The question is, will they get it at a bookstore or will we have a Kindle 9.0 device that manufactures a book for you at home, complete with photo of author in a bomber jacket.

Evanovich: If everybody is downloading in 2020 what the heck will we be signing on book tour? Body parts? Kindle cases?

Connelly: I signed two Kindles yesterday. One person asked me to leave room for signatures from you and Dennis Lehane. So next time you're in Seattle she'll be in your line.

Evanovich: Do you eat when you write? Beer nuts? M&Ms? Just coffee? What keeps you from falling out of the chair in a narcoleptic stupor?

Connelly: Have you ever seen what eating Cheetos can do to a keyboard? I have to say I am addicted to Coke. I always have a glass of it nearby. I eat a lot of candy, too. Keeps me going. Smarties are a great writing tool. I often need to raid my daughter's stash and then there is trouble on the home front.

Evanovich: Are you a messy guy or a neat guy? Do you keep clutter on your desk? In your head? Are there soda cans and crumpled fast food wrappers rolling around on the floor of your car?

Connelly: I keep a clean car but a desk that gets progressively messier as I write a book. When I am finished with the book, I clean up the desk—and eat all the stray Smarties found under the paperwork. The clean desk then promotes the start of the next book.

Evanovich: The new book, The Scarecrow sounds terrific, and I know it's followed by Harry Bosch in Nine Dragons in the fall. Does your publisher prefer one series over another? And do you find one series to be more commercially viable than another?

Connelly: They let me do what I want. I like writing about Harry Bosch and he's pretty popular, but usually when I write a standalone it widens the audience a bit.

Evanovich: Want to meet me in a bar in Ft. Myers? Is that halfway?

Connelly: Name the place.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:17 -0400)

Newspaperman Jack McEvoy decides to use his final days at the LA Times to write the definitive murder story of his career. Focusing on the case of Alonzo Winslow, a 16-year-old drug dealer in jail after confessing to a brutal murder, Jack realizes that Winslow's so-called confession is bogus and that the real killer is operating completely below police radar--and with perfect knowledge of any move against him.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,471,158 books! | Top bar: Always visible