The Scarecrow by Michael Connelly

The Scarecrow (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Michael Connelly

Member:Shirkaholic
Title:The Scarecrow
Authors:Michael Connelly
Info:Orion (2009), Kindle Edition, 559 pages
Rating:***

The Scarecrow by Michael Connelly (2009)

Recently added byknersus, private library, sandramdavis, chrisreyes2316, thevans200, nomadreader, dm13

English (53)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (59)
A page turner but a bit formulaic. Characters don't really have much depth or complexity. ( )
  sianpr | Jul 9, 2014 |
This is probably one of my favorite Michael Connelly books. I've read everything he's ever written, and actually started with "The Poet" when a friend handed me the paperback and said, "Ya gotta read this".

This book revisits Jack McEvoy, the reporter from "The Poet", and it touches on a few of Connelly's other books peripherally. I won't get too much into the plot, because you'll want to read it, but I will say that the ending was VERY satisfying. Sometimes there are better things than jail.

Lori Anderson

Lori Anderson:The Store
Pretty Things:The Blog
Facebook ( )
  limamikealpha | Jun 5, 2014 |
SUMMARY: Jack McEvoy is at the end of the line as a crime reporter. Forced to take a buy-out from the LA Times, he's got 30 days left on the job. His last assignment? Training his replacement, a low-cost reporter just out of J-school. But Jack has other plans for his exit. He is going to go out with a bang - a final story that will win the newspaper journalism's highest honour - a Pulitzer prize. Jack focuses on Alonzo Winslow, a 16-year-old drug dealer from the projects who has confessed to police that he brutally raped and strangled one of his crack clients. But as Jack delves into the story he soon realises that Alonzo's so-called confession is bogus. The investigation leads him to a killer known as The Scarecrow who has worked completely below the police and FBI radar.Jack is soon off and running on the biggest story he's had since The Poet crossed his path twelve years before - but The Scarecrow knows he's coming... ( )
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
Not as suspense-filled as the Harry Bosch series, since you basically know from the outset who the bad guys are and it's just a matter for the good guys to figure it out and deal with them. The best part, for me, was the insider's look at the LA Times, the details of how a story gets budgeted and written. Connelly, a former Times reporter, brings a lot out that I didn't know before. He also gets to air his sorrow at the decline of the newspaper business, perhaps a bit too much. ( )
  wdwilson3 | Jul 31, 2013 |
What a great book!!! Michael Connelly is such an excellent author! I'm glad I heeded the suggestions to read his previous book "The Poet" first - - - - it added a richer feel and understanding of the characters and their backstories.

This book was also very educational, as to how what we post on the internet can be used against us by some wacko who wants to study the background of his next potential victim. Spooky stuff!

Jack McEvoy is an LA Times journalist who has just been given his two weeks notice and checks into an apparently inconsequential story. But the more he investigates, the deeper and broader this story becomes. Plus he gets to work with Rachel Walling, his former paramour from the FBI Behavioral Analysis unit.

Terrific story. I recommend this and really ALL of Michael Connelly's books to anyone who enjoys a god crime thriller. ( )
  blush48 | Jul 24, 2013 |
Read this thriller for the thrills, the computerized crime spree. Or read it for the sad reality of what's happening to almost all newspapers. Or read it to take in the work of a writer who can tell a gripping story through characters who live and breathe.

A return to form for Mr. Connelly and his sharpest book since “The Lincoln Lawyer”... “The Scarecrow” begins its crime plot routinely, with more emphasis on the press than on the investigation. Then it gets jacked up to a high level of suspense by the Scarecrow’s sinister powers in the Internet’s darker reaches. And then it turns back into something familiar, as Mr. Connelly allows the long-range demands of his career to diminish this particular book’s ending.

Michael Connellyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tettamanti, StefanoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Traverso, GiulianaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To James Crumley,
For "The Last Good Kiss"
Carver paced in the control room, watching over the front forty.
You don't have to be an interrogator at Abu Ghraib to know that time never favors the suspect.

Police find an abandoned car in the beach parking lot in Santa Monica. They find the body of Denise Babbit in the trunk.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316166308, Hardcover)

Book Description Forced out of the Los Angeles Times amid the latest budget cuts, newspaperman Jack McEvoy decides to go out with a bang, using his final days at the paper to write the definitive murder story of his career.

He focuses on Alonzo Winslow, a 16-year-old drug dealer in jail after confessing to a brutal murder. But as he delves into the story, Jack realizes that Winslow's so-called confession is bogus. The kid might actually be innocent.

Jack is soon running with his biggest story since The Poet made his career years ago. He is tracking a killer who operates completely below police radar--and with perfect knowledge of any move against him. Including Jack's.

Michael Connelly and Janet Evanovich: Author One-to-One
In this Amazon exclusive, we brought together blockbuster authors Michael Connelly and Janet Evanovich and asked them to interview each other. Find out what two of the top authors of their genres have to say about their characters, writing process, and more. Janet Evanovich is the bestselling author of the Stephanie Plum novels, including Finger Lickin' Fifteen, twelve romance novels, the Alexandra Barnaby novels, and How I Write: Secrets of a Bestselling Author. Read on to see Janet Evanovich's questions for Michael Connelly, or turn the tables to see what Connelly asked Evanovich.

Janet EvanovichEvanovich: So dude,... Okay, you're back in Florida. Do you ever get to the beach? And when and if you get to the beach...is Harry Bosch with you? And what kind of beachwear are you guys sporting? Flip-flops? Crocs? Speedo? Board shorts?

Connelly: I go to the beach often on weekends. Board shorts are required and I wear flip-flops with the built in bottle opener. Comes in handy. In Florida we rarely have waves, unless there is a hurricane in the Gulf. So I have taken up paddle-boarding, which essentially involves a big surfboard that you stand on and paddle. Still a balancing act, but easier than surfing, and you don't need waves.

Evanovich: What will a bookstore look like in 2020? Will we all be downloading?

Connelly: Good question. Since it is only eleven years from now, I think there will still be a solid population of "old school" readers who need the book in their hands. The question is, will they get it at a bookstore or will we have a Kindle 9.0 device that manufactures a book for you at home, complete with photo of author in a bomber jacket.

Evanovich: If everybody is downloading in 2020 what the heck will we be signing on book tour? Body parts? Kindle cases?

Connelly: I signed two Kindles yesterday. One person asked me to leave room for signatures from you and Dennis Lehane. So next time you're in Seattle she'll be in your line.

Evanovich: Do you eat when you write? Beer nuts? M&Ms? Just coffee? What keeps you from falling out of the chair in a narcoleptic stupor?

Connelly: Have you ever seen what eating Cheetos can do to a keyboard? I have to say I am addicted to Coke. I always have a glass of it nearby. I eat a lot of candy, too. Keeps me going. Smarties are a great writing tool. I often need to raid my daughter's stash and then there is trouble on the home front.

Evanovich: Are you a messy guy or a neat guy? Do you keep clutter on your desk? In your head? Are there soda cans and crumpled fast food wrappers rolling around on the floor of your car?

Connelly: I keep a clean car but a desk that gets progressively messier as I write a book. When I am finished with the book, I clean up the desk—and eat all the stray Smarties found under the paperwork. The clean desk then promotes the start of the next book.

Evanovich: The new book, The Scarecrow sounds terrific, and I know it's followed by Harry Bosch in Nine Dragons in the fall. Does your publisher prefer one series over another? And do you find one series to be more commercially viable than another?

Connelly: They let me do what I want. I like writing about Harry Bosch and he's pretty popular, but usually when I write a standalone it widens the audience a bit.

Evanovich: Want to meet me in a bar in Ft. Myers? Is that halfway?

Connelly: Name the place.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:17 -0400)

Newspaperman Jack McEvoy decides to use his final days at the LA Times to write the definitive murder story of his career. Focusing on the case of Alonzo Winslow, a 16-year-old drug dealer in jail after confessing to a brutal murder, Jack realizes that Winslow's so-called confession is bogus and that the real killer is operating completely below police radar--and with perfect knowledge of any move against him.… (more)

Six editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,640,635 books! | Top bar: Always visible