The Scarecrow by Michael Connelly

The Scarecrow (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Michael Connelly

Member:pjdscca
Title:The Scarecrow
Authors:Michael Connelly
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2009), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 448 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

The Scarecrow by Michael Connelly (2009)

Recently added byRena37, CandaceVan, jp17, private library, margx7, wm3395, stelap, smays, Jonmichael

English (61)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (67)
This was far from the quality of writing I've come to expect from the author. The cast of characters was two-dimensional. There was no sense at all that he knew anything about the things he was writing. He does best when writing about Harry Bosch. I have not yet truly enjoyed any of his other characters when they were the focus of a book. I gave this three stars only because it was a mindless way to pass an even more boring afternoon. ( )
  kewaynco | Apr 10, 2016 |
Jack McEvoy is a journalist who has been given his notice. He wants to leave with a bang so is soon on the case of catching a murderer, the Scarecrow.

This version I read is a condensed edition for the Readers Digest. Not sure how much of the original was taken out but I don't think for me it made little difference.

This is the second book to feature Jack McEvoy who I found quite a pleasing character. I do always prefer to read in order but don't think it mattered too much on this occasion.

The story I found quite average. I've only ever read one other book before by Michael Connelly which was The Lincoln Lawyer and that I also found an average ok read. With this story it was based around computers, tripwire, hacking and I'm afraid I'm not the most of technical people do sometimes the story can be abit mind boggling. From what I learnt about Jacks previous book I have a feeling i may have enjoyed that better.

Overall a quick ok thriller and I finished the book so I must have been ok with it. ( )
  tina1969 | Apr 10, 2016 |
Jack McEvoy is about to be 'downsized' from his job as the crime reporter at the LA Times but he decides he will go out in a blaze of glory with the best story he has ever done. He focuses on the brutal murder of a young exoctic dancer who was found with a plastic bag tied around her head and then stuffed into the trunk of her car. A young gang member has been arrested for her murder but he claims he only stole the car and never knew the body was there. Jack thinks his story will focus on the gang member and just what kind of life led this 16 year old to commit murder but during his research he finds another story of a murdered dancer in Las Vegas whose body was found in her ex-husband's car trunk.

Pairing up with his one time love, FBI agent Rachel Walling, the two follow a convuluted trail to a data storage facility in Phoenix. This is where the mastermind, known as "The Scarecrow", works among other computer geniuses who provide security for offsite companies' stored data to protect them from hackers and viruses. But the 'scarecrow' has his own agenda with the data files.

Michael Connelly is one of my 'must-read' authors and this novel did not disappoint. It was suspenseful and cleverly plotted.
  Ellen_R | Jan 15, 2016 |
This book was just "OK" for me. Not my favorite Connelly book.

I know it isn't very important, but if a company is downsizing and you get laid off, why would you have to train a replacement? There shouldn't be a replacement if they are downsizing, right? ( )
  ER1116 | Jan 13, 2016 |
I loved the first 80% of this book and stayed up all night reading it, but the ending was TERRIBLE! What drew me in about the first part was the realism of the descriptions of newspaper reporting, paired with a fairly plausible crime story. But when the mild-mannered newspaper reporter suddenly starting duking it out with bad guys I found it hard to suspend my disbelief. ( )
  Audacity88 | Jan 3, 2016 |
Read this thriller for the thrills, the computerized crime spree. Or read it for the sad reality of what's happening to almost all newspapers. Or read it to take in the work of a writer who can tell a gripping story through characters who live and breathe.

A return to form for Mr. Connelly and his sharpest book since “The Lincoln Lawyer”... “The Scarecrow” begins its crime plot routinely, with more emphasis on the press than on the investigation. Then it gets jacked up to a high level of suspense by the Scarecrow’s sinister powers in the Internet’s darker reaches. And then it turns back into something familiar, as Mr. Connelly allows the long-range demands of his career to diminish this particular book’s ending.

Michael Connellyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tettamanti, StefanoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Traverso, GiulianaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To James Crumley,
For "The Last Good Kiss"
Carver paced in the control room, watching over the front forty.
You don't have to be an interrogator at Abu Ghraib to know that time never favors the suspect.

Police find an abandoned car in the beach parking lot in Santa Monica. They find the body of Denise Babbit in the trunk.

AUDIO EDITION:
Jack McEvoy is at the end of the line as a crime reporter. Forced to take a buy-out from the LA Times, he's got 30 days left on the job. His last assignment? Training his replacement, a low-cost reporter just out of J-school. But Jack has other plans for his exit. He is going to go out with a bang - a final story that will win him newspaper journalism's highest honour - a Pulitzer prize. Jack focuses on Alonzo Winslow, a 16-year-old drug dealer from the projects who has confessed to police that he brutally raped and strangled one of his crack clients.

But as Jack delves into the story he soon realises that Alonzo's so-called confession is bogus. And the investigation leads him to a killer known as the Scarecrow...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316166308, Hardcover)

Book Description
Forced out of the Los Angeles Times amid the latest budget cuts, newspaperman Jack McEvoy decides to go out with a bang, using his final days at the paper to write the definitive murder story of his career.

He focuses on Alonzo Winslow, a 16-year-old drug dealer in jail after confessing to a brutal murder. But as he delves into the story, Jack realizes that Winslow's so-called confession is bogus. The kid might actually be innocent.

Jack is soon running with his biggest story since The Poet made his career years ago. He is tracking a killer who operates completely below police radar--and with perfect knowledge of any move against him. Including Jack's.

Michael Connelly and Janet Evanovich: Author One-to-One
In this Amazon exclusive, we brought together blockbuster authors Michael Connelly and Janet Evanovich and asked them to interview each other. Find out what two of the top authors of their genres have to say about their characters, writing process, and more. Janet Evanovich is the bestselling author of the Stephanie Plum novels, including Finger Lickin' Fifteen, twelve romance novels, the Alexandra Barnaby novels, and How I Write: Secrets of a Bestselling Author. Read on to see Janet Evanovich's questions for Michael Connelly, or turn the tables to see what Connelly asked Evanovich.

Janet EvanovichEvanovich: So dude,... Okay, you're back in Florida. Do you ever get to the beach? And when and if you get to the beach...is Harry Bosch with you? And what kind of beachwear are you guys sporting? Flip-flops? Crocs? Speedo? Board shorts?

Connelly: I go to the beach often on weekends. Board shorts are required and I wear flip-flops with the built in bottle opener. Comes in handy. In Florida we rarely have waves, unless there is a hurricane in the Gulf. So I have taken up paddle-boarding, which essentially involves a big surfboard that you stand on and paddle. Still a balancing act, but easier than surfing, and you don't need waves.

Evanovich: What will a bookstore look like in 2020? Will we all be downloading?

Connelly: Good question. Since it is only eleven years from now, I think there will still be a solid population of "old school" readers who need the book in their hands. The question is, will they get it at a bookstore or will we have a Kindle 9.0 device that manufactures a book for you at home, complete with photo of author in a bomber jacket.

Evanovich: If everybody is downloading in 2020 what the heck will we be signing on book tour? Body parts? Kindle cases?

Connelly: I signed two Kindles yesterday. One person asked me to leave room for signatures from you and Dennis Lehane. So next time you're in Seattle she'll be in your line.

Evanovich: Do you eat when you write? Beer nuts? M&Ms? Just coffee? What keeps you from falling out of the chair in a narcoleptic stupor?

Connelly: Have you ever seen what eating Cheetos can do to a keyboard? I have to say I am addicted to Coke. I always have a glass of it nearby. I eat a lot of candy, too. Keeps me going. Smarties are a great writing tool. I often need to raid my daughter's stash and then there is trouble on the home front.

Evanovich: Are you a messy guy or a neat guy? Do you keep clutter on your desk? In your head? Are there soda cans and crumpled fast food wrappers rolling around on the floor of your car?

Connelly: I keep a clean car but a desk that gets progressively messier as I write a book. When I am finished with the book, I clean up the desk—and eat all the stray Smarties found under the paperwork. The clean desk then promotes the start of the next book.

Evanovich: The new book, The Scarecrow sounds terrific, and I know it's followed by Harry Bosch in Nine Dragons in the fall. Does your publisher prefer one series over another? And do you find one series to be more commercially viable than another?

Connelly: They let me do what I want. I like writing about Harry Bosch and he's pretty popular, but usually when I write a standalone it widens the audience a bit.

Evanovich: Want to meet me in a bar in Ft. Myers? Is that halfway?

Connelly: Name the place.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:58 -0400)

Newspaperman Jack McEvoy decides to use his final days at the LA Times to write the definitive murder story of his career. Focusing on the case of Alonzo Winslow, a 16-year-old drug dealer in jail after confessing to a brutal murder, Jack realizes that Winslow's so-called confession is bogus and that the real killer is operating completely below police radar--and with perfect knowledge of any move against him.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,236,504 books! | Top bar: Always visible