Round Ireland with a Fridge by Tony Hawks

Round Ireland with a Fridge (1998)

by Tony Hawks

Wild East: Travels in the New Mongolia by Jill Lawless (seawerth)
    Hand to Mouth to India by Tom Thumb (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: They're both crazy hitchhikers

English (48)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (50)
What a delightful book! The Fridge Man had it far too easy, relying primarily off of his own publicity in order to get rides. I would have liked it if he had had to overcome more adversity in the horrors of rural Ireland. Or if he had at least gotten into a few fights. As it was, this book was a lighthearted testimony to the absurd. Which was pretty fine by me.

The back of the book had promised that it would owe some to Bill Bryson, and I found that it did, but without some of Bryson's more endearing style. The book wasn't all that intellectual, and generally was light reading, but that aided rather than deterred from it's overall casual style.

So, I'd recommend this as some fun summer reading to my more Irishly inclined friends. :) ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Based on a bet
  stevholt | Nov 19, 2017 |
Joy's review: Man hitchhikes around Ireland with a mini-fridge; entertaining situations arise. Light, good-hearted story told by a guy that doesn't take himself too seriously. My favorite bit was the standard greeting he always seemed to get. "oh, you're the ejit with the fridge". (i.e. idiot). ( )
  konastories | May 29, 2017 |
The story of this comedian who tour Ireland with a fridge, as part of a bet. A very funny story of his trials and tribulations, and which was made into a film later on. I saw Tony recently when he was touring with the I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue team of BBC Radio 4, and he's a funny in the flesh as he is in the book
  corracreigh | Feb 1, 2016 |
Preferred 'Playing the Moldovans at Tennis' but still enjoyed this. ( )
  sashinka | Jan 14, 2016 |

Tony Hawksprimary authorall editionscalculated
Engelhard, XaverTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Sylvia
I'm not, by nature, a betting man.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312274920, Paperback)

On his only prior visit to Ireland, English songwriter-comic Tony Hawks had seen a man hitchhiking with a refrigerator. For years, he was wont to tell the tale during late-night drinking matches, and after one particularly heavy-duty night of partying, he awoke to find a bet scrawled pillowside: a friend wagered 100 pounds that Hawks wouldn't travel Ireland for a month with a refrigerator at his side.

Out of this stupid premise, a ridiculously amusing book was born. Quickly discovered by the Irish media, the thumbing Englishman finds that he and his box fridge are elevated to celebrity status, and there's no dearth of rides, places to stay, or goofy people to meet, from kings to spoons players to locals who take his fridge surfing. As insightful about the strange inner workings of Hawk's mind as it is about charming peculiarities of Irishmen--it's doubtful that Hawks would have been similarly embraced by Germans, Italians, or the French--Round Ireland with a Fridge is an entirely silly, heartwarming tale told in a rollicking funny and refreshing style. --Melissa Rossi

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:49 -0400)

TV comedian Hawks relates the story of how he tried to win a bet by hitchhiking around the circumference of Ireland in one calendar month - with a fridge!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,995,312 books! | Top bar: Always visible