So Many Books, So Little Time: A Year of…

So Many Books, So Little Time: A Year of Passionate Reading (2003)

by Sara Nelson

I loved this book. It was wonderful to discover that someone else agonizes about what book(s) to take on a trip, knowing the worst fate that can befall a reader is being without the right book. I loved the admission that she had to finally resign from the Clean Plate Club and didn't need to finish that unreadable book. Best of all, I was able to amass a list of what I hope will be great future reads. ( )
  LeslieHurd | Jan 11, 2017 |
Ack. Should've been great, but the author is part of the publishing 'clique' responsible for so much dreck that comes from neurotic & pretentious New Yorkers that I could condone neither her hypocrisy nor her self-centered short-sightedness. I could go on with specific examples, but I want desperately to be quit of the whole business.

ETA - *you* - you members of goodreads - have a lot more that is interesting & insightful to share about books and reading than Nelson does. ( )
1 vote Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Meh. I read the first 50 pages or so, then skimmed the rest. I guess it wasn't quite what I expected. Other than our shared love of reading, the author and I didn't have much in common, in our taste in books or otherwise. ( )
1 vote TheEditrix | Jan 13, 2016 |
I enjoyed the beginning bit of the book, especially where she discussed reading in general. Some of the more specific book sections dragged a bit and I definitely felt the winter blues (if we follow the months as they are laid out). Its certainly not a new idea, but I like books-as-relationships. ( )
  Jackie_Sassa | Nov 20, 2015 |
Rating: 4* of five

The Publisher Says: Sometimes subtle, sometimes striking, the interplay between our lives and our books is the subject of this unique memoir by well-known publishing correspondent and self-described "readaholic" Sara Nelson. From Solzhenitsyn to Laura Zigman, Catherine M. to Captain Underpants, the result is a personal chronicle of insight, wit, and enough infectious enthusiasm to make a passionate reader out of anybody.

My Review: “Allowing yourself to stop reading a book - at page 25, 50, or even, less frequently, a few chapters from the end - is a rite of passage in a reader's life, the literary equivalent of a bar mitzvah or a communion, the moment at which you look at yourself and announce: Today I am an adult. I can make my own decisions.

Really, I could stop right there and have given you a full review of this tasty li'l morsel of a book about reading, loving, choosing, and enjoying the books that mark your life.

“You know you're in a bad patch when the most interesting part of the book you're reading is the acknowledgments page.”

No, no, this would be a fine place to end one's quest for a summing-up of this aperçu-heavy literary profiterole. A pyramid of crispy pastry filled with rich, scrumptious vanilla ice cream and loaded with fudge topping.

"Reading's ability to beam you up to a different world is a good part of the reason why people like me do it in the first place---because dollar for dollar, hour per hour, it's the most expedient way to get from our proscribed little 'here' to an imagined, intriguing 'there'. Part time machine, part Concorde, part ejector seat, books are our salvation."

Heavens, what was I thinking to have left this crystalline distillation of the infinity-edged pool of publishing's unending and occasionally successful manufacture of lovely writing, pretty jackets, and escapist/timeless/delectable work.

...and so you see my dilemma...stop where? stop there why? explain or not?

Just go read the damned book already. ( )
2 vote richardderus | Feb 28, 2015 |
To Charles Nelson, 1917-1990, who didn't know what he was getting himself into when he taught me to read all those years ago and to Charley Yoshimura, who lives with the result, every day
Call me Insomniac.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425198197, Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:24 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,182,047 books! | Top bar: Always visible