Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Something Rotten by Jasper Fforde

Something Rotten

by Jasper Fforde

Series: Thursday Next (4)

Recently added byprivate library, Laileth, mr.wolfie, LondonLori, The_Hibernator, zilem, hepzibah59, rebock, Goey182
    Who's Afraid of Beowulf? by Tom Holt (Dr.Science)
    Dr.Science: The English author Tom Holt is relatively unknown in America, but very popular in England. If you enjoy Jasper Fforde or Christopher Moore you will most certainly enjoy Tom Holt's wry sense of English humor and the absurd. He has written a number of excellent books including Expecting Someone Taller, and Flying Dutch, but they may be difficult to find at your library or bookstore.… (more)
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (TomWaitsTables)
    Fables, Vol. 2: Animal Farm by Bill Willingham (TomWaitsTables)

English (129)  French (3)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (135)
As the book opens, Thursday Next is preparing to return to Swindon and the real world after a two-year stint in Jurisfiction. Her husband Landen is still eradicated, and she is determined to get him back. Hamlet has been granted leave to visit the Outland, and he accompanies Thursday on her return to Swindon. They arrive to find that England’s chancellor, Yorrick Kaine, is blaming the country’s economic problems on the Danes. It’s not a good time to be seen with a Danish prince. Swindon is awaiting the return of its patron saint, Zvlkx, whose Seventh Revealment concerns the 1988 SuperHoop croquet match. Thursday learns from her father, a time-traveling member of the ChronoGuard, that a SuperHoop win by Swindon will avert Armageddon. No pressure there.

Fforde’s alternate England and the book world are as delightful as ever. It’s a parody of classic fiction, history, and pop culture, with humor along the lines of the films Airplane! and The Naked Gun. There were lots of references to Mel Gibson’s portrayal of Hamlet, but this movie wasn’t released until two years after the book is set. (Yes, I know the book is alternate history, but it still bothered me!) I agree with other reviewers that this book feels like an ending point for the series. All of the plot threads that were developed over the course of the series thus far seem to have been neatly wrapped up. I’m not sure I would be motivated to continue reading the series if I didn’t already have the next book in my collection. ( )
  cbl_tn | Jan 18, 2019 |
This one is too long and surprisingly heavy going in places. That said, it gave me a number of good laughs and has a good ending. Can't be bad! ( )
  Devatipan | Jan 10, 2019 |
Absolutely the best of the series, IMO. Every stray plotline came together, even ones I'd assumed had been dropped or forgotten. I love it when that happens. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
It took me quite some time to get around to this book, and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. It was a fun read that, unlike the previous in the series, had a chronology it followed and an actual plot that had a start and an end. I though it was humorous and at times clever, although overall I have had enough of this series. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
I absolutely loved this book! It was smart, inventive, quirky, and yet the underlying political situation hits close to home while still maintaining that absurd quality of Fforde. ( )
  Bodagirl | Feb 21, 2018 |
Fforde continues to pitch high, wide, and fast.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal (Nov 1, 2004)

Sticking with this oddball novel is rewarding, and readers who share Fforde's love of literature and surreal sense of humor will enjoy this free fall through absurdity.
added by Katya0133 | editPeople, Joe Heim (Aug 23, 2004)

With humorous illustrations and curious footnotes sprinkled throughout, Fforde's latest will have hardcore fans roaring.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Aug 16, 2004)

It's easy to be delighted by a writer who loves books so madly -- and who can imagine a Hamlet who roams the real world, declaring: ''That Freud fellow will have a bloody nose if ever I meet him.''
added by Katya0133 | editThe New York Times, Janet Maslin (Aug 5, 2004)

[Fforde] is always charming company, and if he sometimes strays too far into fantasy, well, what's so great about reality?
added by Katya0133 | editTime, Lev Grossman (Aug 2, 2004)

Jasper Ffordeprimary authorall editionscalculated
For Maddy, Rosie,
Jordan and Alexander
With all my love
April 2004
The Minotaur had been causing trouble far in excess of his literary importance—first by escaping from the fantasy-genre prison book Sword of the Zenobians, then by leading us on a merry chase across most of fiction and thwarting all attempts to recapture him.
'You mean to tell me, Mr Holmes, that we are in the wrong book?'
KAINE PUBLISHING Warning: This book may become subject to retrospective book-burning legislation. To comply with Kaine Directive CSBO 812804, the Mandatory Combustibility Information of this novel has been calculated as follows. Energy Content: 19,180 Btu, Combustibility: Medium. Flash Point: 451°F

Detective Thursday Next has had her fill of her responsibilities as the Bellman in Jurisfiction. Packing up her son, Friday, Thursday returns to Swindon accompanied by none other than the dithering Danish prince Hamlet. But returning to SpecOps is no snap—as outlaw fictioneer Yorrick Kaine plots for absolute power, the return of Swindon's patron saint foretells doom, and if that isn't bad enough, back in the Book World The Merry Wives of Windsor is becoming entangled with Hamlet. Can Thursday find a Shakespeare clone to stop this hostile takeover? Can she vanquish Kaine and prevent the world from plunging into war? Find out in this totally original, action-packed romp, sure to be another escapist thrill for Jasper Fforde's legion of fans.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014303541X, Paperback)

The fourth installment in Jasper Fforde’s New York Times bestselling series follows literary detective Thursday Next on another adventure in her alternate reality of literature-obsessed England

The popularity of Jasper Fforde’s one-of-a-kind series of genre-bending blend of crime fiction, fantasy, and top-drawer literary entertainment builds with each new book. Now in the fourth installment, the resourceful literary detective Thursday Next returns to Swindon from the BookWorld accompanied by her son Friday and none other than the dithering Hamlet. But returning to SpecOps is no snap—as outlaw fictioner Yorrick Kaine plots for absolute power, the return of Swindon’s patron saint foretells doom, and, if that isn’t bad enough, The Merry Wives of Windsor is becoming entangled with Hamlet. Can Thursday find a Shakespeare clone to stop this hostile takeover? Can she vanquish Kaine and prevent the world from plunging into war? And will she ever find reliable child care? Find out in this totally original, action-packed romp, sure to be another escapist thrill for Jasper Fforde’s legions of fans. Thursday’s zany investigations continue with First Among Sequels. Look for the five other bestselling Thursday Next novels, including One of Our Thursdays is Missing and Jasper Fforde’s latest bestseller, The Woman Who Died A Lot. Visit jasperfforde.com for a ffull window into the Ffordian world!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:22 -0400)

Tired of her responsibilities as the Bellman in Jurisfiction, literary sleuth Thursday Next packs up her son, Friday, to return to Swindon, accompanied by the Danish prince Hamlet, only to find herself coping with outlaw fictioneer Yorrick Kaine.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,476,276 books! | Top bar: Always visible