Thursday Next in Something rotten by Jasper…

Thursday Next in Something rotten (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Jasper Fforde

Member:ablachly
Title:Thursday Next in Something rotten
Authors:Jasper Fforde
Info:New York: Viking, 2004. xix, 385 p. : ill. ; 22 cm.
Tags:fiction, thursday next series

Something Rotten by Jasper Fforde (2004)

Who's Afraid of Beowulf? by Tom Holt (Dr.Science)
    Dr.Science: The English author Tom Holt is relatively unknown in America, but very popular in England. If you enjoy Jasper Fforde or Christopher Moore you will most certainly enjoy Tom Holt's wry sense of English humor and the absurd. He has written a number of excellent books including Expecting Someone Taller, and Flying Dutch, but they may be difficult to find at your library or bookstore.… (more)
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (TomWaitsTables)
    Fables, Vol. 2: Animal Farm by Bill Willingham (TomWaitsTables)

English (119)  French (3)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All (125)
Thursday has left the Bookworld after 2 years and is transitioning back to the real world and not without a fair few hurdles. Goliath is aiming for classification as a religion, Kaine is one step away from ruling all of the UK as a dictator, Danish books are being rounded up and burned by order of the government and in her absence, Thursday was convicted of cheese smuggling. Her husband is still eradicated and she's 20k pounds in the hole on her overdraft. Oh, and she has to keep an eye on Hamlet, who came out of Bookworld with her so he could find himself.

Oh, so many things to love about this book. In no particular order and without spoilers:

- Pickwick. Pickwick is always worth loving but Fforde makes her so expressive with so very few words. She made me laugh out loud at least once.

- This is not the book to be in if you're Danish. Lots of satirical comedy surrounding the sudden discrimination against Danes (especially in the chapter headings). Because some of my best friends in the world are Danish, I think I find it a lot funnier than some might; Fforde just nails it.

- Neanderthals get a lot more page time.

- The fight in the hanger. No spoilers, but I'll just say it was masterful literary chess.

- The fate of the world might truly rest on the outcome of a game.

This is the book that wraps up more than a couple of story arcs. Lots of answers and very few questions remaining. I'll admit I missed the footnoterphone more than I would have thought, and I truly prefer the shenanigans of Bookworld over the shenanigans of Real Life. Not really a surprise. There was a bit that I think went too far and felt too convenient, but I can't even hint at it without spoilers so I'll leave it at that.

The ending of Something Rotten is what got that last 1/2 star out of me. It was... well, just read it for yourself. If you're a Thursday Next fan, I expect it will get you in the same place. ( )
  murderbydeath | Oct 17, 2016 |
4.5*

"I knocked at their door and, hearing no answer, walked in. When I was last working at SpecOps we rarely heard anything from the mildly eccentric members of the time-travelling elite, but when you work in the time business, you don’t waste it by nattering – it’s much too precious. My father always argued that time was far and away the most valuable commodity we had and that temporal profligacy should be a criminal offence – which kind of makes watching Celebrity Kidney Swap or reading Daphne Farquitt novels a crime straight away."

After being disappointed by book #2 and skipping book #3, I loved this one. Something Rotten had just the right mix of silliness with thoughtful digs at current affairs and contemporary discussions such as the argument about what makes humans human and what gives humans have the right to control other species, or the rights of other groups of humans for that matter.

Thursday has returned from the book world and again takes up the pursuit of a shady character that threatens the country. But, Thursday has not returned alone - Hamlet (aka the "ditherer") has come with her and so has Alan. I loved Alan, and I am having to read the rest of the series just to find out how he fares.

Yes. Never mind Thursday and the fate of Landon, my interests in this series are thoroughly invested in Pickwick and Alan! ( )
  BrokenTune | Aug 21, 2016 |
This was the best Thursday Next book yet. If you've read the first three, you don't really need to hear much more than that.

Hamlet might be my favourite thing ever.

And I teared up a little at the end I'M ONLY HUMAN. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Aug 7, 2016 |
Back in the crazy world of Thursday Next, this book follows up on some of the adventures started in the previous books. Thursday leaves the book world in order to fight to get her husband back, and also works to fix things back in the book world while still chasing down Kaine, who has returned to political power. It is interesting to see how everything pulls together and gets sorted out, and of course I love the futuristic world and the fictional craziness that gets mixed in.
  GretchenLynn | May 17, 2016 |

Hamlet might be my favourite thing ever.

And I teared up a little at the end I'M ONLY HUMAN. ( )
1 vote hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |
Fforde continues to pitch high, wide, and fast.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal (Nov 1, 2004)

Sticking with this oddball novel is rewarding, and readers who share Fforde's love of literature and surreal sense of humor will enjoy this free fall through absurdity.
added by Katya0133 | editPeople, Joe Heim (Aug 23, 2004)

With humorous illustrations and curious footnotes sprinkled throughout, Fforde's latest will have hardcore fans roaring.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Aug 16, 2004)

It's easy to be delighted by a writer who loves books so madly -- and who can imagine a Hamlet who roams the real world, declaring: ''That Freud fellow will have a bloody nose if ever I meet him.''
added by Katya0133 | editThe New York Times, Janet Maslin (Aug 5, 2004)

[Fforde] is always charming company, and if he sometimes strays too far into fantasy, well, what's so great about reality?
added by Katya0133 | editTime, Lev Grossman (Aug 2, 2004)

Jasper Ffordeprimary authorall editionscalculated
For Maddy, Rosie,
Jordan and Alexander
With all my love
April 2004
The Minotaur had been causing trouble far in excess of his literary importance—first by escaping from the fantasy-genre prison book Sword of the Zenobians, then by leading us on a merry chase across most of fiction and thwarting all attempts to recapture him.
'You mean to tell me, Mr Holmes, that we are in the wrong book?'
KAINE PUBLISHING Warning: This book may become subject to retrospective book-burning legislation. To comply with Kaine Directive CSBO 812804, the Mandatory Combustibility Information of this novel has been calculated as follows. Energy Content: 19,180 Btu, Combustibility: Medium. Flash Point: 451°F

Detective Thursday Next has had her fill of her responsibilities as the Bellman in Jurisfiction. Packing up her son, Friday, Thursday returns to Swindon accompanied by none other than the dithering Danish prince Hamlet. But returning to SpecOps is no snap—as outlaw fictioneer Yorrick Kaine plots for absolute power, the return of Swindon's patron saint foretells doom, and if that isn't bad enough, back in the Book World The Merry Wives of Windsor is becoming entangled with Hamlet. Can Thursday find a Shakespeare clone to stop this hostile takeover? Can she vanquish Kaine and prevent the world from plunging into war? Find out in this totally original, action-packed romp, sure to be another escapist thrill for Jasper Fforde's legion of fans.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014303541X, Paperback)

The fourth installment in Jasper Fforde’s New York Times bestselling series follows literary detective Thursday Next on another adventure in her alternate reality of literature-obsessed England

The popularity of Jasper Fforde’s one-of-a-kind series of genre-bending blend of crime fiction, fantasy, and top-drawer literary entertainment builds with each new book. Now in the fourth installment, the resourceful literary detective Thursday Next returns to Swindon from the BookWorld accompanied by her son Friday and none other than the dithering Hamlet. But returning to SpecOps is no snap—as outlaw fictioner Yorrick Kaine plots for absolute power, the return of Swindon’s patron saint foretells doom, and, if that isn’t bad enough, The Merry Wives of Windsor is becoming entangled with Hamlet. Can Thursday find a Shakespeare clone to stop this hostile takeover? Can she vanquish Kaine and prevent the world from plunging into war? And will she ever find reliable child care? Find out in this totally original, action-packed romp, sure to be another escapist thrill for Jasper Fforde’s legions of fans. Thursday’s zany investigations continue with First Among Sequels. Look for the five other bestselling Thursday Next novels, including One of Our Thursdays is Missing and Jasper Fforde’s latest bestseller, The Woman Who Died A Lot. Visit jasperfforde.com for a ffull window into the Ffordian world!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:22 -0400)

Tired of her responsibilities as the Bellman in Jurisfiction, literary sleuth Thursday Next packs up her son, Friday, to return to Swindon, accompanied by the Danish prince Hamlet, only to find herself coping with outlaw fictioneer Yorrick Kaine.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,835,003 books! | Top bar: Always visible