Something Rotten (Thursday Next, 4) by…

Something Rotten (Thursday Next, 4) (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Jasper Fforde

5,452None792 (4.14)225
Member:Snowstorm14
Title:Something Rotten (Thursday Next, 4)
Authors:Jasper Fforde
Info:Viking Penguin (2004), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 383 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fantasy

Something Rotten by Jasper Fforde (2004)

alternate history (108) alternate reality (101) alternate universe (51) books (73) books about books (91) British (84) comedy (47) crime (55) detective (72) England (70) fantasy (686) fiction (823) Hamlet (47) humor (424) literary (39) literature (119) metafiction (64) mystery (379) novel (71) own (33) read (108) satire (29) science fiction (151) series (113) sff (47) signed (38) Thursday Next (436) time travel (112) to-read (76) unread (35)
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (one-horse.library)
    Fables, Vol. 2: Animal Farm by Bill Willingham (one-horse.library)
    Who's Afraid of Beowulf? by Tom Holt (Dr.Science)
    Dr.Science: The English author Tom Holt is relatively unknown in America, but very popular in England. If you enjoy Jasper Fforde or Christopher Moore you will most certainly enjoy Tom Holt's wry sense of English humor and the absurd. He has written a number of excellent books including Expecting Someone Taller, and Flying Dutch, but they may be difficult to find at your library or bookstore.… (more)

English (109)  French (3)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (115)
With every book I've read in this series, I've said the same thing: this was fun but I doubt I'll continue on with the series. Well, this is the fourth book and I give up. I'm going to keep reading Thursday Next books because they're absolutely ridiculous and they make me laugh. This time around, Thursday is back in the real world, where she has to deal with fictional would-be dictators, semi-dead presidents, a husband who may not actually exist, violent cricket matches, 13th century mystics, a perpetually dithering Hamlet, and - most daunting of all - motherhood. The whole thing is just marvelous. My favorite part was "Avoid the Question Time," which is pretty much what all political interviews and debates actually are but won't admit it. Nothing is too outlandish to show up in these stories, and I can't wait for the next book. ( )
  melydia | Mar 24, 2014 |
I liked this better than the last one. It moved along more. Jasper Fforde is great fun. Good reader too. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
A tour-de-force. Often I was left absolutely helpless with laughter. Mr. Fforde by this point has his world well and truly set up, and no longer needs to waste time with explanations or exposition; he just gets on with the corny jokes and spot-on satire. A clear heir to the tradition laid down by Dickens, Wodehouse, Python, Adams and Pratchett. ( )
  bradgers | Feb 6, 2014 |
Another fun installment in the Thursday Next Series. Thursday has decided it’s time to come back to the real world, she has been living in the book world for 2 years, since her husband Landen was eradicated, but as you know trouble follows our Thursday and as much as she wants Landen back there are some bad people out there that want her eradicated in every sense of the word.

I so enjoy these books it’s been too long since I picked one up and it was the best way to end my year in reading! Hamlet was hilarious in his pining for but hating Ophelia and what he thinks of all the movies and books on his “life” and the Shakespeare’s , yes many more than one since he was cloned but none of them seem to have the originals talent.

Thursday gets Landen back and then loses him again, it is all a big game played by Goliath and new baddy Kaine who may or may not be a fictional character, who seems to have it out for the Danish, and who does Thursday have living her who else but Danish Prince Hamlet.

There is, as usual many great characters in this book but most of them aren’t literary characters and I missed them, and Miss Havisham!

Emily Gray as always does a wonderful job at the narration, I love all her different voices she is very, very talented!

I read the last book in 2012 and I think it is time I finished this series, so I will be listening to the rest of these this year.

4 Stars ( )
  susiesharp | Jan 2, 2014 |
Let's see - you've got Hamlet running around in the real world and engaging in a affair with Lady Emma Hamilton, a croquet match in which the fate of the world hangs in the balance, a Minotaur tagged with "slapstick" so there are bananas, pianos, etc whenever he shows up, a sprinkling of Latin, Shakespeare clones & quotes tossed about with abandon, and yes, you've got a Thursday Next novel.

I think people either love these, find them annoying or just don't get the appeal. Personally,the book geek/English major in me squees at all the literary references. I also love the political satire taken to absurdity (especially during the US election cycle where the absurdity in this book looks like high toned discourse by comparison). And mostly, I love Thursday. She is the sea of calm in the midst of all this absurdity and she's a wonderful heroine. She's smart and strong and resourceful. Her relationship with husband Landen and son Friday gets more play in this volume and I found the end to be quite touching. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
Fforde continues to pitch high, wide, and fast.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal (Nov 1, 2004)

Sticking with this oddball novel is rewarding, and readers who share Fforde's love of literature and surreal sense of humor will enjoy this free fall through absurdity.
added by Katya0133 | editPeople, Joe Heim (Aug 23, 2004)

With humorous illustrations and curious footnotes sprinkled throughout, Fforde's latest will have hardcore fans roaring.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Aug 16, 2004)

It's easy to be delighted by a writer who loves books so madly -- and who can imagine a Hamlet who roams the real world, declaring: ''That Freud fellow will have a bloody nose if ever I meet him.''
added by Katya0133 | editThe New York Times, Janet Maslin (Aug 5, 2004)

[Fforde] is always charming company, and if he sometimes strays too far into fantasy, well, what's so great about reality?
added by Katya0133 | editTime, Lev Grossman (Aug 2, 2004)

Jasper Ffordeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gray, EmilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roberts, MaggyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roberts, StewartIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Maddy, Rosie,
Jordan and Alexander
With all my love
The Minotaur had been causing trouble far in excess of his literary importance—first by escaping from the fantasy-genre prison book Sword of the Zenobians, then by leading us on a merry chase across most of fiction and thwarting all attempts to recapture him.

Detective Thursday Next has had her fill of her responsibilities as the Bellman in Jurisfiction. Packing up her son, Friday, Thursday returns to Swindon accompanied by none other than the dithering Danish prince Hamlet. But returning to SpecOps is no snap—as outlaw fictioneer Yorrick Kaine plots for absolute power, the return of Swindon's patron saint foretells doom, and if that isn't bad enough, back in the Book World The Merry Wives of Windsor is becoming entangled with Hamlet. Can Thursday find a Shakespeare clone to stop this hostile takeover? Can she vanquish Kaine and prevent the world from plunging into war? Find out in this totally original, action-packed romp, sure to be another escapist thrill for Jasper Fforde's legion of fans.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014303541X, Paperback)

The fourth installment in Jasper Fforde’s New York Times bestselling series follows literary detective Thursday Next on another adventure in her alternate reality of literature-obsessed England

The popularity of Jasper Fforde’s one-of-a-kind series of genre-bending blend of crime fiction, fantasy, and top-drawer literary entertainment builds with each new book. Now in the fourth installment, the resourceful literary detective Thursday Next returns to Swindon from the BookWorld accompanied by her son Friday and none other than the dithering Hamlet. But returning to SpecOps is no snap—as outlaw fictioner Yorrick Kaine plots for absolute power, the return of Swindon’s patron saint foretells doom, and, if that isn’t bad enough, The Merry Wives of Windsor is becoming entangled with Hamlet. Can Thursday find a Shakespeare clone to stop this hostile takeover? Can she vanquish Kaine and prevent the world from plunging into war? And will she ever find reliable child care? Find out in this totally original, action-packed romp, sure to be another escapist thrill for Jasper Fforde’s legions of fans. Thursday’s zany investigations continue with First Among Sequels. Look for the five other bestselling Thursday Next novels, including One of Our Thursdays is Missing and Jasper Fforde’s latest bestseller, The Woman Who Died A Lot. Visit jasperfforde.com for a ffull window into the Ffordian world!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:29 -0400)

Tired of her responsibilities as the Bellman in Jurisfiction, literary sleuth Thursday Next packs up her son, Friday, to return to Swindon, accompanied by the Danish prince Hamlet, only to find herself coping with outlaw fictioneer Yorrick Kaine.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,419,224 books! | Top bar: Always visible