Something Rotten (Thursday Next, 4) by…

Something Rotten (Thursday Next, 4) (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Jasper Fforde

5,523119785 (4.13)229
Member:Snowstorm14
Title:Something Rotten (Thursday Next, 4)
Authors:Jasper Fforde
Info:Viking Penguin (2004), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 383 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fantasy

Something Rotten by Jasper Fforde (2004)

Recently added byJohnEKerry, private library, shelflife, joceloon, eenerd, aquaticus, abbeyhar, catiew
    Who's Afraid of Beowulf? by Tom Holt (Dr.Science)
    Dr.Science: The English author Tom Holt is relatively unknown in America, but very popular in England. If you enjoy Jasper Fforde or Christopher Moore you will most certainly enjoy Tom Holt's wry sense of English humor and the absurd. He has written a number of excellent books including Expecting Someone Taller, and Flying Dutch, but they may be difficult to find at your library or bookstore.… (more)
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (one-horse.library)
    Fables, Vol. 2: Animal Farm by Bill Willingham (one-horse.library)

English (113)  French (3)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (119)
Very fast paced, just try to keep up! ( )
  cougargirl1967 | Jul 2, 2014 |
Thursday Next I will never get enough of you! This might have been the best book yet by Fforde and I can't wait to start the next one. Fforde has created such an amazing world and I'm so very happy to be able to visit it again and again across so many books. However, I do dread the day that I catch up to what has already been published and must wait for the next installment. ( )
  sscarllet | Jul 1, 2014 |
Liked this more than I expected. Funny. ( )
  hredwards | May 19, 2014 |
Single parenthood is very onerous for Thursday, as she has to escort Hamlet (yes, of Elsinore), around while he tries to figure out what moderns think of the character invented by Shakespeare for the play. And, the worlds, both of books, and the real world are in peril. She copes, but is getting very lonely for Landen. ( )
  DinadansFriend | May 1, 2014 |
With every book I've read in this series, I've said the same thing: this was fun but I doubt I'll continue on with the series. Well, this is the fourth book and I give up. I'm going to keep reading Thursday Next books because they're absolutely ridiculous and they make me laugh. This time around, Thursday is back in the real world, where she has to deal with fictional would-be dictators, semi-dead presidents, a husband who may not actually exist, violent cricket matches, 13th century mystics, a perpetually dithering Hamlet, and - most daunting of all - motherhood. The whole thing is just marvelous. My favorite part was "Avoid the Question Time," which is pretty much what all political interviews and debates actually are but won't admit it. Nothing is too outlandish to show up in these stories, and I can't wait for the next book. ( )
  melydia | Mar 24, 2014 |
Fforde continues to pitch high, wide, and fast.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal (Nov 1, 2004)

Sticking with this oddball novel is rewarding, and readers who share Fforde's love of literature and surreal sense of humor will enjoy this free fall through absurdity.
added by Katya0133 | editPeople, Joe Heim (Aug 23, 2004)

With humorous illustrations and curious footnotes sprinkled throughout, Fforde's latest will have hardcore fans roaring.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Aug 16, 2004)

It's easy to be delighted by a writer who loves books so madly -- and who can imagine a Hamlet who roams the real world, declaring: ''That Freud fellow will have a bloody nose if ever I meet him.''
added by Katya0133 | editThe New York Times, Janet Maslin (Aug 5, 2004)

[Fforde] is always charming company, and if he sometimes strays too far into fantasy, well, what's so great about reality?
added by Katya0133 | editTime, Lev Grossman (Aug 2, 2004)

Jasper Ffordeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gray, EmilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roberts, MaggyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roberts, StewartIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Maddy, Rosie,
Jordan and Alexander
With all my love
The Minotaur had been causing trouble far in excess of his literary importance—first by escaping from the fantasy-genre prison book Sword of the Zenobians, then by leading us on a merry chase across most of fiction and thwarting all attempts to recapture him.

Detective Thursday Next has had her fill of her responsibilities as the Bellman in Jurisfiction. Packing up her son, Friday, Thursday returns to Swindon accompanied by none other than the dithering Danish prince Hamlet. But returning to SpecOps is no snap—as outlaw fictioneer Yorrick Kaine plots for absolute power, the return of Swindon's patron saint foretells doom, and if that isn't bad enough, back in the Book World The Merry Wives of Windsor is becoming entangled with Hamlet. Can Thursday find a Shakespeare clone to stop this hostile takeover? Can she vanquish Kaine and prevent the world from plunging into war? Find out in this totally original, action-packed romp, sure to be another escapist thrill for Jasper Fforde's legion of fans.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014303541X, Paperback)

The fourth installment in Jasper Fforde’s New York Times bestselling series follows literary detective Thursday Next on another adventure in her alternate reality of literature-obsessed England

The popularity of Jasper Fforde’s one-of-a-kind series of genre-bending blend of crime fiction, fantasy, and top-drawer literary entertainment builds with each new book. Now in the fourth installment, the resourceful literary detective Thursday Next returns to Swindon from the BookWorld accompanied by her son Friday and none other than the dithering Hamlet. But returning to SpecOps is no snap—as outlaw fictioner Yorrick Kaine plots for absolute power, the return of Swindon’s patron saint foretells doom, and, if that isn’t bad enough, The Merry Wives of Windsor is becoming entangled with Hamlet. Can Thursday find a Shakespeare clone to stop this hostile takeover? Can she vanquish Kaine and prevent the world from plunging into war? And will she ever find reliable child care? Find out in this totally original, action-packed romp, sure to be another escapist thrill for Jasper Fforde’s legions of fans. Thursday’s zany investigations continue with First Among Sequels. Look for the five other bestselling Thursday Next novels, including One of Our Thursdays is Missing and Jasper Fforde’s latest bestseller, The Woman Who Died A Lot. Visit jasperfforde.com for a ffull window into the Ffordian world!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:29 -0400)

Tired of her responsibilities as the Bellman in Jurisfiction, literary sleuth Thursday Next packs up her son, Friday, to return to Swindon, accompanied by the Danish prince Hamlet, only to find herself coping with outlaw fictioneer Yorrick Kaine.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,122,432 books! | Top bar: Always visible