Comanche Moon by Catherine Anderson

Comanche Moon (edition 1991)

by Catherine Anderson

Member:bookworm1982
Title:Comanche Moon
Authors:Catherine Anderson
Info:HarperTorch (1991), Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages
Tags:BOX #15

Comanche Moon by Catherine Anderson

English (12)  Spanish (1)  All languages (13)
Coming home after injuring his ribs, the hero is once again surrounded by family and the people he loves, but it soon becomes apparent that he's grown apart from them. Not emotionally, but personality wise. He's become jaded- bitter, living only in pursuit of his dreams and earning money. When he finds out his friend is consorting with the town prostitute, he becomes outraged that this fallen woman should be welcome around his family. So, once again deep in his cups, he confronts her one night and demands that she cut off all contact with his family. Seeing the heartbroken look in his eyes, feeling a bit of guilt over the fact but staying firm to his ignorance, he is in turn confronted from his father next day. As a compache, his father has always been the guiding light to the hero. It's plan to see that he's disappointed the man and then and there, the hero vows to make amends. The heroine has lived a torturous life with nothing coming easy to her and being forced to do disgusting things to see her family cared for. As a child, she inadvertently caused the mental illness in her baby brother and was the cause of her mothers blindness. As a result, at the age of Thirteen she was pressured into the sex trade business and has been suffering the life of a whore every day since. To deal with what she has to do from sundown to 1am every night, the heroine has developed a magical escape world where she goes and dreams about her family and about how happy life can truly be. But this escape doesn't save her from the thinking that she is worthless and disgusting. So when the hero comes calling, offering her $50 a night to just spend time with him, she is hesitate and distrusting of his true motives. What sane man would spend that amount of money on a whore without even trying to sleep with her? The hero, that's who. He wants to save her, see her happy and away from the life she lives now. He doesn't understand her hesitation to take his offer until he sees her family. She's the only thing between them and destitution. But nothings going to stop him from making her his wife. Not the heroine's naïve innocence nor the fact that she's pregnant by another man. But it's hard to love a woman who doesn't love herself and her fear is slowly pushing him away. I thought this book as certainly a step up from the other books I've read from this author in that I was actually engaged by the characters. There was true heart in this book as well as pain and drama and suffering, but at the base of it was a truly good man loving a truly good woman. Once again the long drawn out conversations made my head hurt and my strain from all the eye rolls but if a skimmed those stupid parts, I found that I actually rather liked this story. Not often do you read about a heroine who's a prostitute but because she escapes into her dream world every night, she was still a bashful, timid woman who's even a virgin in a lot of ways. She made it so damn hard to like her a lot of the time because she was so fearful of being hurt. The hero had to put in a lot of work to win her over and even then, they had to deal with the fact she leaves her body every time she has sex. Overall, it was a better book than others I've read by this author but still not nearly worth a higher rating. ( )
  Eden00 | May 14, 2016 |
3 out of 5 stars. It's definitely a telling story of those who lived during the Civil War time period. I mean everyone is just defending their own loved ones, the only problem is that (like what still happens now in any war) the ones who really get hurt and the ones that aren't even fighting in the war (the women and children). Very touching, and emotional. Good read. (However .... I think it dragged in a few areas ... still good though.)

Read more of this review here: http://frommetoyouvideophoto.blogspot.com/2010/01/someday-well-know-if-love-can-... ( )
  fromjesstoyou | Mar 21, 2016 |
Wow. What a roller coaster of emotion. When Hunter first takes Loretta from her home, I had no idea how the author would turn this story around, but she did...in a very believable way. The violence made me uncomfortable, but it was an ugly fact in the Nation's history, with both parties committing atrocious acts of cruelty. Both Loretta and Hunter's painful past led to misconceptions and beliefs that were difficult to move beyond, despite their growing feelings for one another. Their love was not an easy one and acceptance of new ways came slow.

Hunter's patience was endearing. Especially while he cared for Amy after her terrible ordeal. Lots of well written characters made me fall in love with this book. The pace was exciting, the writing compelling. I really, really enjoyed this. ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
WOW! I loved this book. It was very hard to put down. I got a little bit upset with blue eyes, as she didn't see how much she loved Hunter. I would love to read about what happened to them in another book. It got just a little bit slow in areas, but I think I wanted so much to see how the story would end. If anyone loves American History Fiction, this is a great book to read. ( )
  ChildofGod | Dec 11, 2015 |
I reread this book after reading it a few years ago. I appreciate little nuances I didn't see before. It was interesting to see the female protagonist of a romance novel was mute. Historical romances can be hit or miss, depending on the time period or writing style. It was set in the 1800's during the expansion of the West and eradication of Native American lands. Catherine Anderson's contemporaries can be a bit dull, but her historical romances are lovely, if written right. ( )
  aliterarylion | Jul 14, 2014 |

Catherine Andersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Phimister, Ruth AnnReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is in memory of the Comanche Nation, a proud, noble, and often misunderstood people who population was nearly annihilated by the white men who invaded Comanche territories. As I wrote this book, I felt sad that such a wonderful way of life had to end, and I hope that someday humankind will begin to learn from its mistakes -- namely that we are all brothers and sisters. With ancestral ties to the Shoshone, the parent tribe of the Comanche, I felt such a great affinity for the "True People" as I wrote this tale. I will never walk through the ponderosa forests of Central Oregon, their seasonal hunting grounds, without hearing their voices whispering to me on the wind, saying "Suvate"; it is finished.
Prologue

Texas, August 1859

AS PALE AS FRESH CREAM, A FULL MOON shone against the midnight sky, casting a silver aura across the star-studded blackness.

They called him Hunter, the fierce Comanche warrior chosen by his people to journey across the western wilderness in search of the elusive maiden who would fulfill their sacred prophecy:
“For the sake of the Comanche, find the honey-haired woman; bring her among us, and honor her as you never will another.”
Loretta Simpson came to him as in a vision, a proud, golden-haired beauty. Loretta had lived in terror of the Comanche since the brutal murder of her parents at their hands. Now she was a Comanche prisoner and nothing could ease the fear and hate she felt. What she did not know was that she and Hunter were bound by more than the bonds that held her – they were bound by destiny. She sore to defy her captor, but could she defy her heart?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451224183, Mass Market Paperback)

Orphaned after her parents were killed by Comanches, Loretta Simpson still lives in terror that the warriors will return, her fear so powerful, she is no longer able to speak a word.

Hunter of the Wolf believes that Loretta is a woman of ancient prophecy whom he must honor. But Loretta can only see him as the enemy who has kidnapped her, and she refuses to succumb to his control—or his touch.

Despite the hatred between their peoples, Loretta and Hunter gradually find their enmity changing to respect and care. In the midst of such conflict, it will take all the force of their love to find a safe haven.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:16 -0400)

Loretta Simpson, a prisoner of the Comanches since the brutal murder of her parents at their hands, fights her attraction to Hunter, a Comanche warrior who believes she is the golden-haired maiden who is to fulfill his tribe's sacred prophecy.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,353,749 books! | Top bar: Always visible