The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin by…

The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin (original 1791; edition 2003)

by Benjamin Franklin

Member:jasonlf
Title:The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin
Authors:Benjamin Franklin
Info:Touchstone (2003), Paperback, 160 pages
Tags:nonfiction, american history, memoir

The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin by Benjamin Franklin (1791)

English (73)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All (75)
It's been a while since I read a book entirely in one night, last time it happened with "Flowers for Algernon" a couple of years ago. A nice long-forgotten feeling. :)

I'm immensely thankful to someone named M. for the recommendation.

The book is absolutely brilliant, I feel that it, along with "Flowers ..." and "On the road" and a couple of others, has changed something inside me, in ways which will be clearer in the future but which I can feel even now. ( )
  pchr8 | May 11, 2017 |
Interesting to read about a man that everyone has heard about, but probably don't know that much. Even more so when it's in his own words. ( )
  Jon_Hansen | Apr 13, 2017 |
It reads more like a diary or journal than an autobiography. ( )
  Emathison | Apr 2, 2017 |
I listened to the autobiography via LibriVox.org. While I recognize that volunteers read the books, the narrator for this book would've been right at home on NPR.

Nevertheless, I quite enjoyed Franklin's autobiography. Although I've read much about the period, I was a bit worried that the language would be such that it might be difficult to follow. But this was not the case. Many of the anecdotes were quite humorous and certainly illuminating. Franklin was an amazing man.

The problem with the book is that he didn't cover anything beyond 1764 or so. This was disappointing to me as I expected to hear his thoughts on the 10-year period leading up to the Declaration of Independence, as well as his involvement in said document. I also wanted to hear, from his perspective, about his time in France. Maybe I should have already been aware of the period the book covered but I wasn't.

Regardless, I'd encourage you to read (or listen) to it as it reminds us that human nature doesn't change, but that every now and then along comes someone who breaks the mold. Franklin is clearly an example of this. ( )
  Jarratt | Jan 24, 2017 |
I'm not a big fan of biographies, but I feel like the useful advice offered within Franklin's life-story is deserving of some serious bonus points. So much of what he said was so motivating and makes me feel like I can achieve some previously unforeseen potential. ( )
  benuathanasia | Oct 27, 2016 |

Wayne, FreddNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wecter, DixonIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ziff, LarzerEditor.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My writing.
Dear Son, --I have ever had pleasure in obtaining any little anecdotes of my ancestors.
A stitch in time saves nine
This is "The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin", by Benjamin Franklin. Please do not combine with the Franklin/Woolman/Penn volume from The Harvard Classics.
A penny saved is
A penny earned, sayeth Poor
Richard. No stamp tax!
(bertilak)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:51 -0400)

One of the most popular works of American literature, this charming self-portrait has been translated into nearly every language. It covers Franklin's life up to his prewar stay in London as representative of the Pennsylvania Assembly, including his boyhood years, work as a printer, experiments with electricity, political career, much more.… (more)

Legacy Library: Benjamin Franklin

Benjamin Franklin has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Benjamin Franklin's legacy profile.

See Benjamin Franklin's author page.

Yale University Press

2 editions of this book were published by Yale University Press.

Editions: 0300098588, 0300001479

Library of America Paperback Classics

An edition of this book was published by Library of America Paperback Classics.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400101689, 1400108985

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,417,504 books! | Top bar: Always visible