The Last Apprentice: Wrath of the Bloodeye…

The Last Apprentice: Wrath of the Bloodeye (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Joseph Delaney

Member:goplinja
Title:The Last Apprentice: Wrath of the Bloodeye
Authors:Joseph Delaney
Info:Greenwillow Books (2009), Paperback, 544 pages

The Last Apprentice: Wrath of the Bloodeye by Joseph Delaney (2008)

This is starting to be my favorite horror fantasy book franchise. I really like this franchise because the details helps me explain what is happening in this book. It is scary, and wicked because it has witches in this book franchise. Again this is one of my favorite horror fantasy book franchise ever ( )
  parkang | May 15, 2014 |
Oh this was an excellent book. There is an ass-load to learn about relationships. Tom and Alice have a huge fight about him going to town, and he gets mugged from some deserters who say they're recruiting for the Nation's Army. Alice saves him and Mr.Gregory runs the thugs off. The Spook is reluctant of sending him to the training that has kept on the back burner.
Tom is sent to one of John Gregory's former apprentices turned Spook of the county. Bill mostly deals with the Aquatic witches. He also seem (to me anyhow) an extremely violent Wine-O. His situation for the drunken behavior though is also pretty over the top.
Very much like Monkey D. Luffy's most traumatic event to date...

I very much liked his teaching method though. I was reminded of Larten Crepsley from the Darren Shan saga. He was an interesting character, but I did see a bit of the direction this was going.

You do get to read about Grimalkin, the Assassin Witch, again. So that part was exciting, and creepy. I'm just wondering if the series is going to have a chick like this...

And with that I have to get to other reviews to write about tonight. So Cheers and Happy Reading!

wickedshizuku | May 12, 2014 |
This book is a sheep in wolf's clothing. It's dressed up and plotted like a lot of popular children's fantasy series, with its young male protagonist thrown headfirst into an epic struggle of good against evil. There's a prophecy of some kind, and the future of the world hinges on young Tom Ward's choices. But most fantasy series open up an alternate reality where the impossible becomes possible, and children escape their authority figures to sally forth into the world on their own. In THE LAST APPRENTICE, the fantasy world is even more confining and rigid than the real world - possibilities snap shut as fast as you can glimpse them, and Tom Ward is content to trail along in the wake of his teachers.

In fact, it doesn't quite seem right to call THE LAST APPRENTICE a fantasy. Tom Ward is training to serve "the light" as a Spook, a hunter of things that go bump in the night. The light includes everything that is good and moral. They fight "the dark" - supernatural creatures and witches. All creatures of the dark are tied to the Devil, cloven-hoofed and slightly Miltonian in character. Everything is black and white, there is no grey area. Magic and fantastical creatures are just so much evil to be stamped out; there is no fun or delight in them. The connection between magic and religion is so close that a key, climactic scene in the novel involves a condemnation of atheism.

As for young Tom Ward, he doesn't get to have much fun. I have never read a book that so thoroughly condemned disobedience. No good comes of mischief in Tom Ward's world; disobeying the commands of his superiors is just plain wrong. Perhaps his greatest trial in THE LAST APPRENTICE is being sent to train for some time with a nasty, abusive drunkard named Bill Arkwright. His challenge is to submit and obey - not to rebel and revolt. The moral of the story is that no matter what Tom felt at the time, the adults who control his fate know best and he should trust them.

Readers who enjoy THE LAST APPRENTICE will probably praise it for exactly the qualities that left me cold. The book is intensely didactic - very preachy, with a slightly condescending authorial voice. For these reasons, it's unlikely to appeal to adults (who may have enjoyed other children's fantasy series, along the lines of Harry Potter, Artemis Fowl, Lemony Snicket, etc.) The message overwhelms the story, and will doubtless define its readership. ( )
  MlleEhreen | Apr 3, 2013 |
I'm really enjoying this series so far. I find Alice the most interesting character. Not so say any other character is boring, because they aren't. The story is well written and all of the beasts(boggarts, witches,etc.) are a joy to learn about. I'd recommend to others. ( )
  DeathsMistress | Jan 12, 2013 |
This young adult series is consistently entertaining if written a bit "younger" than many in the genre while simultaneously being darker and gorey. I think the most interesting plot string by far is Alice, and what her nature/destiny really is. Fun quick read. ( )
  hjjugovic | May 8, 2012 |
To Marie
Carrying my staff, I went into the kitchen and picked up my empty sack.

"I've already drunk my fill of blood, so live a little longer. Breathe for a while and watch what's about to unfold."

Thomas Ward has spent two years as the Spook's apprentice. He's faced unimaginable peril, and survived. But a new danger has emerged: an ancient water witch, Bloodeye, is roaming the County intent on destroying everything in her path. To strengthen his skills, Tom is sent to the far north to train with the demanding Bill Arkwright. Arkwright lives in a haunted mill on the edge of a treacherous marsh, and his training methods prove to be harsh and sometimes cruel. Will Tom's new bag of tricks be enough to overcome a critical mistake that leaves him confronting Bloodeye on his own?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:18 -0400)

The continuing adventures of Tom, the seventh son of a seventh son and apprentice to the local Spook, who faces danger and death daily in his job protecting the region from evil.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,527,815 books! | Top bar: Always visible