Nobody Move by Denis Johnson

Nobody Move

by Denis Johnson (Author)

English (38)  German (1)  All languages (39)
The best Elmore Leonard novel ever! ( )
  HenryKrinkle | Jul 23, 2014 |
When I first started reading this book, I didn't have high hopes, but it completely surprised me. The characters were archetypal without seeming cliche. I thought all of them were interesting, and the story was too. I loved the way the author gave his readers credit; instead of just spelling out the story or trying (and failing) to give a surprise twist, he expected the reader to follow along. Well written. ( )
  SweetbriarPoet | Jul 14, 2014 |
This book zips along and is pleasurable but ultimately falls well short of awe inspiring. It is a hard-boiled, noir-like story set in California. A likable gambler shoots a mobster in the leg to escape paying a debt, he goes on the run, meets a beautiful woman also at odds with the law, and they hole up in a biker bar together. While they are spinning a plan to get millions of dollars she was framed for embezzling, the mob catches up with him and a certain amount of action ensues. Ultimately, the bad guys don't fare particularly well.

The dialogue is a strong point in this book, with well drawn characters and rapid fire repartee. And the plot is enough to keep you going with interest but not enough to, at the end of the day, say one be very impressed.

I have not read any other Denis Johnson books but if this is an appetizer then it makes me look forward to the main course. ( )
  nosajeel | Jun 21, 2014 |
Ehhh. ( )
  marti.booker | Dec 2, 2013 |
Will Patton was born to read Denis Johnson. Near perfect crime crosswire non-resolve. I loved it. Welcome to California. ( )
  librarianbryan | Oct 14, 2013 |
For Meir Ribalow
Jimmy Luntz had never been to war, but this was the sensation, he was sure of that - eighteen guys in a room, Rob, the director, sending them out - eighteen guys shoulder to shoulder, moving out on the orders of their leader to do what they've been training day and night to do.

From the National Book Award–winning, bestselling author of Tree of Smoke comes a provocative thriller set in the American West. Nobody Move, which first appeared in the pages of Playboy, is the story of an assortment of lowlifes in Bakersfield, California, and their cat-and-mouse game over $2.3 million. Touched by echoes of Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammett, Nobody Move is at once an homage to and a variation on literary form. It salutes one of our most enduring and popular genres—the American crime novel—but with a grisly humor and outrageousness that are Denis Johnson’s own. Sexy, suspenseful, and above all entertaining, Nobody Move shows one of our greatest novelists at his versatile best.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:58 -0400)

"From the National Book Award-winning, bestselling author of Tree of Smoke comes a provocative thriller set in the American West. Nobody Move, which first appeared in the pages of Playboy, is the story of an assortment of lowlifes in Bakersfield, California, and their cat-and-mouse game over $2.3 million. Touched by echoes of Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammett, Nobody Move is at once an homage to and a variation on literary form. It salutes one of our most enduring and popular genres - the American crime novel - but with a grisly humor and outrageousness that are Denis Johnson's own. Sexy, suspenseful, and above all entertaining, Nobody Move shows one of our greatest novelists at his versatile best."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,333,045 books! | Top bar: Always visible