World within world : the autobiography of…

World within world : the autobiography of Stephen Spender (original 1951; edition 1951)

by Stephen Spender, Leonard Woolf (Annotator.)

Member:WoolfLibrary
Title:World within world : the autobiography of Stephen Spender
Authors:Stephen Spender
Other authors:Leonard Woolf (Annotator.)
Info:London : Hamish Hamilton, 1951.
Collections:Your library, Washington State University

World Within World by Stephen Spender (1951)

Spender writes, "Auden told me now that he had changed his mind about my work. I should not write poetry, but autobiographical prose narrative." What a great book and worth a re-read. ( )
  Shonamarie | Mar 31, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book very much as I found him very interesting, sensitive and extremely honest considering the time in which it was written. The 50's were stifling to anyone that wasn't white bread and butter. His life crossed paths with many fascinating people such as W.H. Auden, Christopher Isherwood, T.S. Eliot, Virginia Woolf. The profound long term affect of his difficult childhood is very well done. ( )
  taffygold123 | Aug 17, 2012 |
At one stage of his life Mr Spender took to painting and, he naively tells us, then learned the great lesson that 'it is possible entirely to lack talent in an art where one believes oneself to have creative feeling.' It is odd that this never occurred to him while he was writing, for to see him fumbling with our rich and delicate language is to experience all the horror of seeing a Sèvres vase in the hands of a chimpanzee.
added by SnootyBaronet | editTablet, Evelyn Waugh (May 5, 1951)

To Isaiah Berlin

While Spender's brilliant autobiography, first published in 1951 and out of print for 12 years, has gained new prominence as a result of its thematic appropriation by David Leavitt in While England Sleeps, the work remains a powerful classic in its own right, recognized as one of the most illuminating literary autobiographies to have emerged from the 1920s and 1930s.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:34 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,138,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible