Angel Falls by Kristin Hannah

Angel Falls

by Kristin Hannah

A mother's accident throws her into a coma. While trying to hold his family together while she lies unresponsive for months, her husband learns more about her past and takes courageous steps to help her. I enjoyed this book. ( )
  wareagle78 | Feb 3, 2014 |
Spoilers**** Sorry***

I read one book by Kristin Hannah a couple years ago and really enjoyed it, so this was a pretty disappointing read for me. I thought the writing in this novel wasn't nearly as tight as in the other book I read by her (Night Road).

The plot in this book (by her own description in the interview in the back of the book - a "coma book" ) is so forced and contrived I had a really hard time getting through to the end.

There is so much that just is ridiculous in this book - it is one thing to accept things and suspend disbelief - but so little of this book rang true that it was a chore to read. From the undiscovered Hollywood marriage - to the coma - to her migrant worker background and how she met and married Julien True - it was all just absurd.

I noticed that this book was a pretty early one for Hannah. I think I won't completely strike her off my list but I think I will try a more recent book for sure if I try her again. ( )
  alanna1122 | Jul 18, 2013 |
Another great one by Kristin Hannah.

Mikeala Campbell, loving mother of 2 beautiful children Jacey & Bret, caring wife of Liam. Falls prey to a coma after a horse riding accident and then amnesia. Remembering her first marriage and her first love and her daughter but not her son or her current husband. Which is heartwrenching for all of her family.

This is quite a romantic, with some christian overtones in there, family values all in there. Loved this book ( )
  MonicaLynn | Mar 2, 2013 |
This book should be classified more as "inspirational romance" than romance. It is heavily tinged with Christian overtones and contains absolutely no steamy scenes.
Mikaela Campbell sustains a head injury in the first chapter and spends the majority of the book in a coma. Her husband of 10 years, Liam, and her children, Jacey (16) and Bret (9) share their memories with her trying to wake her up. When Liam discovers she was married before, to famous movie star Julian True, and that she responds slightly to Julian's name, he loves her enough to call him and see if maybe he can pull her back from the brink of death. Obviously she wakes up, then has to deal with the fact that she's been lying to her family for years and also choose between Liam and Julian.
I find it very hard to believe that no on in town realized the lady married to the son of the town founder used to be in tabloids. I find it very hard to fathom that once he shows up in town, no one figures out why he's there as well as the obvious paternity of Mikaela's oldest child, Juliana Celeste (Jacey). I find it very hard to believe that the famous movie star meets a poor girl in a diner and can't stop thinking about her, so marries her, then leaves her, but still she's the only woman he's ever loved.
Despite the very obvious need for a suspension of disbelief in order to read this book, I found I couldn't put it down. I can't figure out why. The writing isn't all that great (see also: Mikaela's mother's dialogue being loaded with Spanish words, but only when they're so similar to their English counterparts that the average reader obviously knows what she's saying), the characters aren't all that compelling (although Hannah does give a different 'voice' to the omniscient narrator when focusing on each of them), and the plot is almost cringe-worthy. I just had to keep reading. I don't know that it's even because I wanted to know what happened next. It was pretty obvious what was going to happen next the whole time. I don't know. Whatever, it was an okay book. ( )
1 vote EmScape | Dec 7, 2009 |
For Benjamin and Tucker
In northwest Washington state, jagged granite mountains reach for the misty sky, their peaks inaccessible even in this age of helicopters and high-tech adventurers.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345484274, Paperback)

Nestled into the hills of the Northern Cascade Mountains in Washington state, Liam and Mike (Michaela) Campbell have a picture-perfect marriage and family. While Liam enjoys the comforts of being a small-town doctor with an old family name, Mike cares for their two children and her beloved horses. But when a horrible accident leaves Mike in a coma, Liam frantically searches for a way to ignite her memories and awaken her. What he discovers makes him question the foundations of their love, as Mike has a secret past as "Kayla" and a previous marriage to her first love, Julian True. Though still in a coma, Mike responds to these stories. Liam knows he must contact Julian, and gamble his future on the past memories of a woman whose true identity and feelings are unknown to him.

Kristin Hannah's talent for writing poignant tales of duty, passion, identity and family bonds made last year's On Mystic Lake a bestseller, and will certainly rake in the fans this time. (Imagine Danielle Steel without the Gucci bags or aging corporate CEOs.) While the majority of the novel has our heroine knocked out on a hospital gurney, Hannah makes valiant efforts to bring Mike's character to life, and Liam's enduring love should keep you rooting for him and reaching for the hanky. --Nancy R.E. O'Brien

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:54 -0400)

Dr. Liam Campbell, desperate to reach his wife Mikaela after an accident that has left her in a lingering coma, contacts her ex-husband, movie star Julian True, and then must deal with the consequences when she wakes up with retrograde amnesia, remembering nothing of the past fifteen years, including her marriage and children with Liam.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,490,811 books! | Top bar: Always visible