The Map of Time: A Novel by Felix J. Palma

The Map of Time: A Novel (original 2008; edition 2012)

by Felix J. Palma

Member:saday12
Title:The Map of Time: A Novel
Authors:Felix J. Palma
Info:Atria Books (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 656 pages

The Map of Time by Félix J. Palma (2008)

The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The Anubis Gates and The Map of Time blur the line between Science Fiction and Fantasy, presenting intricately plotted time travel stories with a hint of Mystery that feature appearances by 19th-century literary figures alongside more fantastical elements.… (more)
    The Dancers at the End of Time by Michael Moorcock (brianc6)
    brianc6: A wonderful story of time travel and the 19th century.

English (109)  Spanish (4)  German (3)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  All languages (120)
In 2011, I walked into a Barnes and Noble (which still exists, btw, strangely enough) and, just like normal, the front display was of New Releases. I normally peruse these books with casual interest, maybe lift the cover of one or two to read the synopses and look with disdain on the rest of them (mostly because I'm generally not a serial reader and most authors get published with one character and decide they have to stick with that character for the rest of their lives.) I never buy from the New Releases .. mostly because hardcovers are usually more expensive than paperbacks and my To Be Read pile is so large that I can wait for the paperback.

This visit in 2011 was different. I walked into Barnes and Noble, looked at the New Releases display, turned the cover of a book with VERY interesting cover art and read the synopsis .. then I read the prologue .. then I got halfway through the first chapter .. then I realized what I was doing and that little voice in my head said, "This is a BOOK STORE not a LIBRARY" .. and so I picked up the book and bought it on the spot.

Cue the To Be Read pile. Yes, I'm embarrassed to admit that I only JUST finished that book.

You see the problem is that it's a book in print and I have less time to sit down and read than I do to listen to audio books (which I used to and still kinda do consider cheating). But it's more than that, because I've sat down to read other books since this one. So why did this one take me so long to read?

It's fantastic. It's one of those books that just sticks with you. The Narrator is the best version of an Omniscient Narrator that I have ever read. The characters are beautifully rendered in this manner that's not-quite-real, as if they're pictures of real people that have been tweaked with an editor's contrast setting to make them seem both more and less than what they are -- and thereby they stand out all the more. The setting of H.G. Wells' 19th century London is always a favorite of mine. Clean, dirty, elegant, and despicable neighborhoods all clash together around the characters as they travel and the story as it's told. And the plot? Time Travel has always fascinated me and this one definitely has the pre-requisite twists and turns. While not what I would call riveting like an action novel (though it has its moments), the plot definitely sticks in the reader's memory -- so much so that I could read other books for years and still come back to this one right where I left off without having to start over. The weave of the characters with each other and with the plot is like trying to untangle a matted basket of different colored embroidery floss. Just when you think you've got everything solved, trust me, you don't. One knotted thread leads to another knotted thread, and you feel like if you just pull this one string, everything will become clear .. but it doesn't -- not until the very end.

No, I really can't say more. To state even a detail more feels like I'd be giving too much away.

It's 609 pages of excellently crafted story. If you have the time to be truly enveloped by a story, The Map of Time by Felix J. Palma does not disappoint. ( )
  KitKatReed | Jun 29, 2018 |
For a long time I thought Felix J. Palma's “The Map of Time” was going to be a time-travel novel without any actual time travel. The 600-plus-page novel has three connected stories, each involving British author H.G. Wells, whose novel “The Time Machine” has just been published.

First a young man plans suicide after the woman he loves is killed by Jack the Ripper. His brother enlists the writer's help to fool him into thinking he has traveled back in time and killed Jack before he can kill the woman.

Then a conman inspired by the Wells novel develops an elaborate ruse to fool wealthy patrons into believing they have traveled to the year 2000 to watch the climactic battle that saves humanity from being destroyed by automatons. A young woman on one of those excursions to the future falls in love with the hero of that battle, and things get complicated when she meets the same man on the streets of London in 1896. Tom, the actor hired to play that hero, gets Wells to help him maintain the charade.

Finally, in part three, time travel becomes real, sort of, when a man from the future plans to kill Wells, Henry James and Bram Stoker and steal the only copies of the books each of them has just finished. Wells, aided by a letter from his future self, seeks a way out.

The stories weave in and out of each other, and Palma gives us plenty about alternate universes as well as time travel. As confusing as it may sound, he manages to make everything clear, or at least clear enough. “The Map Of Time” is fanciful fun. ( )
  hardlyhardy | May 20, 2018 |
=/- halfway. will try & finish for DO's sake
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
I feel like I didn't quite know what I signed up for as I read this novel. While good overall, the strange use of a few terms keyed me in that this is a translated work and I was frustrated a few times by how the story seemed to meander, exploring secondary characters in detail and taking hundreds of pages to set up the background of a character. By the end of the book, I did see some method to the madness and I appreciated the originally of the story and its unique structure. For those who enjoy a long, rich story with a healthy mix of time travel and Victorian London, this is a book for you. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Jan 28, 2018 |
didn't finish
  LaurieGienapp | Dec 8, 2017 |
Though the novel occasionally moves slowly, there is so much going on that one is almost grateful for being able to take a breath, before being whisked back into the adventure. And that is what The Map of Time truly is, despite its steampunkish inclinations, and a bit of masquerading as literary science fiction: a rollicking good adventure yarn that, with a nudge and a wink and a bit of sleight of hand, is sure to leave delight in its wake and a smile on one’s face. And that, Dear Reader, is really all one can ask for.

Palma wanders in and out of genres—is his book science fiction? literary fiction? fantasy? Whatever the answer, it’s great fun to read, particularly for those with a bent for counterfactual history.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Jun 1, 2011)

Félix J. Palmaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Caistor, NickTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marchetti, PierpaoloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Solum, KristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Was inspired by

The distinction between past, present and future is an illusion, but a very persistent one.
- Albert Einstein
Mankind's most perfectly terrifying work of art is the division of time.
- Elias Canetti
What is waiting for me in the direction I don't take?
- Jack Kerouac
Andrew Harrington would have gladly died several times over if that meant not having to choose just one piston from among his father's vast collection in the living room cabinet.

Londres, 1896. Innumerables inventos hacen creer al hombre que la ciencia es capaz de conseguir lo imposible, como demuestra la aparición de la empresa Viajes Temporales Murray, que abre sus puertas dispuesta a hacer realidad el sueño más codiciado de la humanidad: viajar en el tiempo, un anhelo que el escritor H. G. Wells había despertado un año antes con su novela La máquina del tiempo. De repente, el hombre del siglo XIX tiene la posibilidad de viajar a otras épocas, como hace Claire Haggerty, una joven acaudalada e insatisfecha que está convencida de que ninguno de sus pretendientes puede ofrecerle el amor verdadero. Esa insatisfacción la llevará a viajar al año 2000, donde se enamorará de un hombre del futuro, un hombre que en su época aún no ha nacido, con quien vivirá una historia de amor a través del tiempo. Pero no todos desean ver el mañana. Andrew Harrington es un joven que pretende suicidarse al comprender que nada podrá borrar el dolor que que siente por la muerte de su amada, una prostituta llamada Mary Kelly, que fue la última víctima de Jack el Destripador. Pero abandona la idea cuando le ofrecen viajar ocho años en el pasado para salvarla de la muerte él mismo. Y el propio H. G. Wells sufrirá los riesgos de los viajes temporales cuando un viajero del futuro llegue a su época con la intención de matarlo para publicar sus novelas con su nombre, obligándolo a emprender una desesperada huida a través del tiempo, atravesando la II Guerra Mundial y los años ochenta hasta perderse en un futuro tan remoto como insondable.

Google translation of the above:
London, 1896. Countless inventions made man believe that science is able to achieve the impossible, as evidenced by the appearance of the company Temporary Trips Murray, which opens ready to realize the most coveted dream of humanity: to ride in time, a desire that the writer HG Wells had awakened a year before his novel The Time Machine. Suddenly, the man of the nineteenth century has the ability to travel in time. Claire Haggerty, a wealthy and dissatisfied young woman is convinced that none of her suitors can offer true love. That dissatisfaction causes her to travel to the year 2000, where she falls for a man of the future, a man who in her time has not yet born, and they live a love story through time. But not everyone wants to see tomorrow. Andrew Harrington is a young man who intends to commit suicide when he realized that nothing can erase the pain that he feels for the death of his beloved, a prostitute named Mary Kelly who was the last victim of Jack the Ripper. But he  abandons the idea when offered travel eight years in the past to save Mary from death itself. HG Wells himself suffer the risks of time travel when a traveler of the future comes to his time with the intention of killing Wells to publish his novels in his name, forcing Wells to embark on a desperate flight through time, through World War II and the eighties to get lost in such a remote future as unfathomable.
Predestination,
Fate, choice: would you go back in
Time to change your life?
(passion4reading)

London, 1896. Andrew Harrington's lover Marie Kelly was murdered by Jack the Ripper and he longs to turn back the clock and save her. Meanwhile, Claire Haggerty, forever being matched with men her family consider suitable, yearns for a time when she can be free to love whom she choses. As their quests converge, it becomes clear that time is the problem -- to escape it or to change it. Hidden in the attic of popular author -- and noted scientific speculator -- H.G. Wells is a machine that might offer them the hope they need!… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Félix J. Palma's book The Map of Time was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,628,879 books! | Top bar: Always visible