De kaart van de tijd by Félix J. Palma

De kaart van de tijd (original 2008; edition 2011)

by Félix J. Palma (Author), Marleen Eijgenraam (Translator)

1,029None8,200 (3.62)77
Member:connie53
Title:De kaart van de tijd
Authors:Félix J. Palma (Author)
Other authors:Marleen Eijgenraam (Translator)
Info:Amsterdam Sijthoff cop. 2011; 576 pag.
Collections:Your library, 2012 gekocht/gekregen/gewonnen, gelezen, 2012 gelezen
Rating:***
Tags:Fantasy

The Map of Time by Félix J. Palma (2008)

The Dancers at the End of Time by Michael Moorcock (brianc6)
    brianc6: A wonderful story of time travel and the 19th century.

English (82)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  All languages (91)
The Map of Time weaves together the stories of three 19th century London characters: a wealthy young man who loves a common prostitute, a woman who is certain she cannot enjoy life in the present, and a science fiction writer who becomes embroiled in a number of schemes. You see this? I’m practicing my gripping introductions.

Read the rest of the review at http://digitalmanticore.com/?p=162 ( )
  Lin-Z | Mar 30, 2014 |
This book is an enigma for me. I had to finish it to know how the twists and turns were resolved, so I give the author high marks for constructing a compelling novel. I thought the way he intertwined the main plots was well done and entertaining. But I'll tell you what happened while reading Map of Time, I found myself subconsciously skipping whole paragraphs. For me, I felt like the author could have sped up the pacing at times and it would have made for a more entertaining read. I liked it… but I have a hard time enthusiastically recommending it. ( )
  crossovers | Jan 4, 2014 |
The book's main theme is time travel. The book is divided into three parts, which focus on different stories, yet they are united in some form and manner.

The setting is in London during a "Steampunk" sort of age.

The story has plenty of characters with the main focus on a couple of main characters.

The book has many twists and surprises, all which are difficult to forsee. I was not able to guess what was going to happen next. Until I got to the third part of the book, I correctly guessed whom the story was going to be about, but that was the only thing I guessed right.

The book is read through the eyes of different characters. Also, the author includes his perspective of the story by stating that he can see the characters and all that is occuring in the story.

The book has the themes of: time travel, romance, deceit, and fantasy.

If you haven't read the book, stop reading here. If you have read the book, feel free to continue reading.

The story that Murray mentioned about the reed people's time traveling methods was very amusing. Once I found out that Murray was a sham, I was a bit frustrated that I had just read so much and that it was a lie. But of course, Murray's story of time travel had to be included in the book because then the reader, and also Wells, would realize that the people were being hoaxed. And speaking of Murray...That character was quite despicable. A bit of a complete opposite of Wells' character.

I think that each character's story was well developed, because there was a back story for every main character. I really enjoyed the story of Wells meeting the Elephant Man, and also the background story of Andrew's father and uncle.

I liked the inclusion of Jack the Ripper, except that I didn't like how the author explained who he was; a sailor. I would have preffered a different "occupation" for Jack the Ripper. The sailor story didn't really seem fitting to the character of Jack the Ripper.

I never guessed who was the person that was smearing the cow dung on Murray's building. When I found out that it was Wells, that made me laugh.
  bookwormconfidential | Dec 27, 2013 |
Fruity and floral. It was like reading a fantasy novel written by Nicholas Sparks.

"He was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. She was a two shilling Whitechapel whore. Together they were the greatest love story ever told...until Jack the Ripper appeared!"

I completed this book out of pure bloody-mindedness. I finished it with a great feeling of relief. It dragged on interminably, and there wasn't one person to be had that I cared about. The author doesn't give you a chance.

I was disappointed. ( )
  quillmenow | Dec 17, 2013 |
Eh. That's how I would describe The Map of Time. Trying too hard to be cheeky, too self-referential, too wordy, and too many cliches. Plots are well developed, some characters are nicely fleshed out, and some jokes are funny. Perhaps trying to do too much at the same time and ending up rambling on and on at times. Pathetic characters brewing in their own self pity are never too fun to read about, and indeed, the first 50 pages or so made me want to stop reading because of this. I read two of the three stories in the end, and will probably never read the third.

Recommended for readers who like to feel smart and who have patience for wordy witticisms. ( )
  bluepigeon | Dec 15, 2013 |
Though the novel occasionally moves slowly, there is so much going on that one is almost grateful for being able to take a breath, before being whisked back into the adventure. And that is what The Map of Time truly is, despite its steampunkish inclinations, and a bit of masquerading as literary science fiction: a rollicking good adventure yarn that, with a nudge and a wink and a bit of sleight of hand, is sure to leave delight in its wake and a smile on one’s face. And that, Dear Reader, is really all one can ask for.

Palma wanders in and out of genres—is his book science fiction? literary fiction? fantasy? Whatever the answer, it’s great fun to read, particularly for those with a bent for counterfactual history.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Jun 1, 2011)

Félix J. Palmaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caistor, NickTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Solum, KristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Was inspired by

The distinction between past, present and future is an illusion, but a very persistent one.
- Albert Einstein
Mankind's most perfectly terrifying work of art is the division of time.
- Elias Canetti
What is waiting for me in the direction I don't take?
- Jack Kerouac
Andrew Harrington would have gladly died several times over if that meant not having to choose just one piston from among his father's vast collection in the living room cabinet.

Londres, 1896. Innumerables inventos hacen creer al hombre que la ciencia es capaz de conseguir lo imposible, como demuestra la aparición de la empresa Viajes Temporales Murray, que abre sus puertas dispuesta a hacer realidad el sueño más codiciado de la humanidad: viajar en el tiempo, un anhelo que el escritor H. G. Wells había despertado un año antes con su novela La máquina del tiempo. De repente, el hombre del siglo XIX tiene la posibilidad de viajar a otras épocas, como hace Claire Haggerty, una joven acaudalada e insatisfecha que está convencida de que ninguno de sus pretendientes puede ofrecerle el amor verdadero. Esa insatisfacción la llevará a viajar al año 2000, donde se enamorará de un hombre del futuro, un hombre que en su época aún no ha nacido, con quien vivirá una historia de amor a través del tiempo. Pero no todos desean ver el mañana. Andrew Harrington es un joven que pretende suicidarse al comprender que nada podrá borrar el dolor que que siente por la muerte de su amada, una prostituta llamada Mary Kelly, que fue la última víctima de Jack el Destripador. Pero abandona la idea cuando le ofrecen viajar ocho años en el pasado para salvarla de la muerte él mismo. Y el propio H. G. Wells sufrirá los riesgos de los viajes temporales cuando un viajero del futuro llegue a su época con la intención de matarlo para publicar sus novelas con su nombre, obligándolo a emprender una desesperada huida a través del tiempo, atravesando la II Guerra Mundial y los años ochenta hasta perderse en un futuro tan remoto como insondable.
Predestination,
Fate, choice: would you go back in
Time to change your life?
(passion4reading)

London, 1896. Andrew Harrington's lover Marie Kelly was murdered by Jack the Ripper and he longs to turn back the clock and save her. Meanwhile, Claire Haggerty, forever being matched with men her family consider suitable, yearns for a time when she can be free to love whom she choses. As their quests converge, it becomes clear that time is the problem -- to escape it or to change it. Hidden in the attic of popular author -- and noted scientific speculator -- H.G. Wells is a machine that might offer them the hope they need!… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Map of Time by Félix J. Palma was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,505,230 books! | Top bar: Always visible