De kaart van de tijd by Félix J. Palma

De kaart van de tijd (original 2008; edition 2011)

by Félix J. Palma, Marleen Eijgenraam (Translator)

Member:connie53
Title:De kaart van de tijd
Authors:Félix J. Palma (Author)
Other authors:Marleen Eijgenraam (Translator)
Info:Amsterdam Sijthoff cop. 2011; 576 pag.
Collections:Your library, 2012 gekocht/gekregen/gewonnen, gelezen, 2012 gelezen
Rating:***
Tags:Fantasy

The Map of Time by Félix J. Palma (2008)

Recently added bypaupersgrave, private library, dyfdd1, jessica_reads, etborg, NaCl, suzw2003, luisvillegasvivar
    The Dancers at the End of Time by Michael Moorcock (brianc6)
    brianc6: A wonderful story of time travel and the 19th century.

English (94)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  All languages (103)
I am honestly stuck between 2, 3, and 4 stars, but choose to go with the latter due to personal notions. Those notions are that I am tired of people and there incessant need to rewrite history or the continuous desire to only pick the most widely known crimes to play their novels from. Isn���t it more notable to look into something that isn���t easy to find rather than play on what everyone has already played with? It���s sloppy seconds when it comes to yet another Jack the Ripper story, but like I said, I knew that going in. So, for plot, character, and development I went with the higher score. Inventiveness gets a 0.

So, the story is not new in virtually any aspect, but the writing is good. I read before getting the book that the writer appears to ramble and give a lot of drivel for the reader to trudge through and that the writer continues to overuse adjectives. I was prepared going in to sidestep these flaws. It can be difficult to know what is enough, too much, or too little. So, throw it in there because the reader will delete what they don���t like anyhow. I wasn���t taken back so much by the overuse but that it seemed to give a melancholy air about the story. The beginning is difficult to follow, as from paragraph to paragraph I had to guess who was even telling the story (the flip-flopping between Andrew POV and the Narrator telling me to forget so and so).

Then, by the time we get to the huge dramatic event that has caused Andrew to want to end his life���it flounders. There���s no real climax because the protagonist at this point doesn���t seem as enthused about the story so why should I be? Andrew wonders throughout the story in a fog and that makes it difficult to get on board. The people in the story really have to be a part of their story or else the reader can���t. Maybe that���s why it���s gotten bad reviews?
  jessica_reads | Mar 24, 2015 |
An outstanding book! After a lifetime of reading, it is rare that I am unable to determine within a few chapters where the author is heading. But this great book kept me guessing right until the last pages. And, as the book is a collection of three, separate but related stories, the author did it three times in a row! Bravo, Mr. Palma, bravo! And thank you for your effort! ( )
  1Randal | Feb 3, 2015 |
  1Randal | Feb 3, 2015 |
Yikes. Got half-way through and gave it up for good. Besides the summary being vastly misleading to the books actual content, there seemed to be no likeable characters, not much happening and almost no dialogue. Plus, the misogyny and portrayal of women wasn't exactly floating my boat. ( )
  luminescent_bookworm | Jan 27, 2015 |
I wanted to like it. But the writing is very poor. The intrusion of the narrator (and the author through skill-less prose) is very obnoxious.

Read the other two-star reviews. they are VERY accurate.

I tried twice to get into it. The second time willing to repress my standards to get a good story. But it was just so bad that I couldn't do it. finished two thirds. No mas, compadre. No mas. ( )
  DanielAlgara | Sep 26, 2014 |
Though the novel occasionally moves slowly, there is so much going on that one is almost grateful for being able to take a breath, before being whisked back into the adventure. And that is what The Map of Time truly is, despite its steampunkish inclinations, and a bit of masquerading as literary science fiction: a rollicking good adventure yarn that, with a nudge and a wink and a bit of sleight of hand, is sure to leave delight in its wake and a smile on one’s face. And that, Dear Reader, is really all one can ask for.

Palma wanders in and out of genres—is his book science fiction? literary fiction? fantasy? Whatever the answer, it’s great fun to read, particularly for those with a bent for counterfactual history.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Jun 1, 2011)

Félix J. Palmaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caistor, NickTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marchetti, PierpaoloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Solum, KristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Was inspired by

The distinction between past, present and future is an illusion, but a very persistent one.
- Albert Einstein
Mankind's most perfectly terrifying work of art is the division of time.
- Elias Canetti
What is waiting for me in the direction I don't take?
- Jack Kerouac
Andrew Harrington would have gladly died several times over if that meant not having to choose just one piston from among his father's vast collection in the living room cabinet.

Londres, 1896. Innumerables inventos hacen creer al hombre que la ciencia es capaz de conseguir lo imposible, como demuestra la aparición de la empresa Viajes Temporales Murray, que abre sus puertas dispuesta a hacer realidad el sueño más codiciado de la humanidad: viajar en el tiempo, un anhelo que el escritor H. G. Wells había despertado un año antes con su novela La máquina del tiempo. De repente, el hombre del siglo XIX tiene la posibilidad de viajar a otras épocas, como hace Claire Haggerty, una joven acaudalada e insatisfecha que está convencida de que ninguno de sus pretendientes puede ofrecerle el amor verdadero. Esa insatisfacción la llevará a viajar al año 2000, donde se enamorará de un hombre del futuro, un hombre que en su época aún no ha nacido, con quien vivirá una historia de amor a través del tiempo. Pero no todos desean ver el mañana. Andrew Harrington es un joven que pretende suicidarse al comprender que nada podrá borrar el dolor que que siente por la muerte de su amada, una prostituta llamada Mary Kelly, que fue la última víctima de Jack el Destripador. Pero abandona la idea cuando le ofrecen viajar ocho años en el pasado para salvarla de la muerte él mismo. Y el propio H. G. Wells sufrirá los riesgos de los viajes temporales cuando un viajero del futuro llegue a su época con la intención de matarlo para publicar sus novelas con su nombre, obligándolo a emprender una desesperada huida a través del tiempo, atravesando la II Guerra Mundial y los años ochenta hasta perderse en un futuro tan remoto como insondable.
Predestination,
Fate, choice: would you go back in
Time to change your life?
(passion4reading)

London, 1896. Andrew Harrington's lover Marie Kelly was murdered by Jack the Ripper and he longs to turn back the clock and save her. Meanwhile, Claire Haggerty, forever being matched with men her family consider suitable, yearns for a time when she can be free to love whom she choses. As their quests converge, it becomes clear that time is the problem -- to escape it or to change it. Hidden in the attic of popular author -- and noted scientific speculator -- H.G. Wells is a machine that might offer them the hope they need!… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Map of Time by Félix J. Palma was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,220,069 books! | Top bar: Always visible