De kaart van de tijd by Félix J. Palma

De kaart van de tijd (original 2008; edition 2011)

by Félix J. Palma (Author), Marleen Eijgenraam (Translator)

Member:connie53
Title:De kaart van de tijd
Authors:Félix J. Palma (Author)
Other authors:Marleen Eijgenraam (Translator)
Info:Amsterdam Sijthoff cop. 2011; 576 pag.
Collections:Your library, 2012 gekocht/gekregen/gewonnen, gelezen, 2012 gelezen
Rating:***
Tags:Fantasy

The Map of Time by Félix J. Palma (2008)

Recently added byLuisali, Irena., 1Randal, etbm2003, SarahKat84, private library, joshua.moore, ceecee83
    The Dancers at the End of Time by Michael Moorcock (brianc6)
    brianc6: A wonderful story of time travel and the 19th century.

English (87)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  All languages (96)
2.5 (for now)
If you haven't read or you are planning to read The Time Machine by H. G. Wells, do it before reading this book since it is almost completely retold here. The Time Machine is too good to be read as a retelling for the first time.

I can't remember the last time I had difficulty rating a book. Sometimes I can't make up my mind right away, but it doesn't last long. With The Map of Time it is even worse than that. On the one hand some things are five star material and on the other, there are quite a few things which deserve one star rating (for me, at least).

That being said, The Map of Time is a very strange story. I've read only the blurb, which is so misleading that you will wonder if you've read the same book. I went into it without reading any reviews. I am not sure if that is a good thing or not. I was surprised a few times, which is a good thing. But I was also bored at times, especially when occasional tedious history or literary lessons started. Further more, after reading the complete story, I have this feeling that everything I've read isn't new and that it can be found somewhere else.

The novel is divided into three parts, three overlapping stories. It is told by an omnipresent narrator, another thing which I'll come back to, and each of the three stories have their own shorter ones.

The first starts with a young man preparing to commit suicide on the eighth anniversary of the death of his beloved, the last victim of Jack the Ripper. His cousin offers another solution. The rest of the story is their attempt of saving the girl with the help of H.G. Wells and his time machine.
The second story chronologically starts before the first, but as the annoying narrator tells us (yes, us) he chose that order just because "there are stories that cannot begin at their beginning, and perhaps this is one of them." It doesn't matter anyway. This is about an upper-class woman bored with everything and everyone around her, dreaming of all-consuming love and uncontrollable passion. A company Murray's Time Travel offers journeys to the year 2000 on their flier and Claire decides to go with her friend and see the final battle between automatons and humans. Her plan is to stay there. Her attempt to stay behind triggers a strange chain of events. This story also involves H.G. Wells. It's up to us to decide if it is a true happy ending.
While Wells is a glue that holds this book together, he is only a side character in the first two stories. In the third he is directly involved. Someone is killing people in London leaving them with a hole in their chest and quotations from novels not yet published. Their wound is so strange that Scotland Yard inspector suspects a time-traveller, so Wells is the one who tries to find the murderer who may be from another era.

What I don't like in this book is its omniscient narrator who constantly reminds us of his presence and knowledge. The story is often interrupted by the narrator to tell us this or that about the characters, the events, the future and whatnot.
Next, the book is pretty slow. It would have been better if it hadn't meandered all around the place (we don't have to know every single tiny thing about a character passing through a hallway).

Some reasons why I am not rating this higher are those occasional tedious history lessons (especially near the end of the book), the depiction of women (not one of the women has any personality), wrong origin of one of the most famous people in science and retelling of The Time Machine almost in its entirety. Since I've read The Time Machine it wasn't so bad and I was just reminded of the events, but still there was no need for all that. These are just my personal preferences.

We are warned by that omniscient narrator that the story is not what you think it is. Neither is what I just wrote here. If you want to read it, expect a lot more than you could find in what I wrote.

Anyway, I'll play it safe and rate it almost I like it. For me this definitely wasn't a four/five-star book, but I but I'll probably try the second one anyway.

Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
An outstanding book! After a lifetime of reading, it is rare that I am unable to determine within a few chapters where the author is heading. But this great book kept me guessing right until the last pages. And, as the book is a collection of three, separate but related stories, the author did it three times in a row! Bravo, Mr. Palma, bravo! And thank you for your effort! ( )
  1Randal | Aug 25, 2014 |
The well-developed characters and imaginative story line kept me fascinated from beginning to end. I love the way the author told his tale with the texture and flavor of the early science fiction classics.

You know those books that you wish would never end? Those where the characters become your best friends for a while? Well, this isn't one of them. It goes on and on until you're ready to say goodbye. I think it could have used a little pruning.

I listened to the audiobook, and fell in love with the sound of the reader's voice. He was absolutely perfect for this book. I used it as my dog-walking book, taking it in in thirty minute segments. I've always loved walking my dogs, but I have never looked forward to my walks so much as I did while listening to this book. ( )
  JackieCarroll | Jul 25, 2014 |
Good read. I wasn't always sure of the style, but the twists and turns were clever and entertaining. Worth a read. ( )
  hredwards | Jun 17, 2014 |
Went on a bender from a really good read to a really strange one very quickly. ( )
  lyrrael | May 18, 2014 |
Though the novel occasionally moves slowly, there is so much going on that one is almost grateful for being able to take a breath, before being whisked back into the adventure. And that is what The Map of Time truly is, despite its steampunkish inclinations, and a bit of masquerading as literary science fiction: a rollicking good adventure yarn that, with a nudge and a wink and a bit of sleight of hand, is sure to leave delight in its wake and a smile on one’s face. And that, Dear Reader, is really all one can ask for.

Palma wanders in and out of genres—is his book science fiction? literary fiction? fantasy? Whatever the answer, it’s great fun to read, particularly for those with a bent for counterfactual history.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Jun 1, 2011)

Félix J. Palmaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caistor, NickTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marchetti, PierpaoloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Solum, KristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Was inspired by

The distinction between past, present and future is an illusion, but a very persistent one.
- Albert Einstein
Mankind's most perfectly terrifying work of art is the division of time.
- Elias Canetti
What is waiting for me in the direction I don't take?
- Jack Kerouac
Andrew Harrington would have gladly died several times over if that meant not having to choose just one piston from among his father's vast collection in the living room cabinet.

Londres, 1896. Innumerables inventos hacen creer al hombre que la ciencia es capaz de conseguir lo imposible, como demuestra la aparición de la empresa Viajes Temporales Murray, que abre sus puertas dispuesta a hacer realidad el sueño más codiciado de la humanidad: viajar en el tiempo, un anhelo que el escritor H. G. Wells había despertado un año antes con su novela La máquina del tiempo. De repente, el hombre del siglo XIX tiene la posibilidad de viajar a otras épocas, como hace Claire Haggerty, una joven acaudalada e insatisfecha que está convencida de que ninguno de sus pretendientes puede ofrecerle el amor verdadero. Esa insatisfacción la llevará a viajar al año 2000, donde se enamorará de un hombre del futuro, un hombre que en su época aún no ha nacido, con quien vivirá una historia de amor a través del tiempo. Pero no todos desean ver el mañana. Andrew Harrington es un joven que pretende suicidarse al comprender que nada podrá borrar el dolor que que siente por la muerte de su amada, una prostituta llamada Mary Kelly, que fue la última víctima de Jack el Destripador. Pero abandona la idea cuando le ofrecen viajar ocho años en el pasado para salvarla de la muerte él mismo. Y el propio H. G. Wells sufrirá los riesgos de los viajes temporales cuando un viajero del futuro llegue a su época con la intención de matarlo para publicar sus novelas con su nombre, obligándolo a emprender una desesperada huida a través del tiempo, atravesando la II Guerra Mundial y los años ochenta hasta perderse en un futuro tan remoto como insondable.
Predestination,
Fate, choice: would you go back in
Time to change your life?
(passion4reading)

London, 1896. Andrew Harrington's lover Marie Kelly was murdered by Jack the Ripper and he longs to turn back the clock and save her. Meanwhile, Claire Haggerty, forever being matched with men her family consider suitable, yearns for a time when she can be free to love whom she choses. As their quests converge, it becomes clear that time is the problem -- to escape it or to change it. Hidden in the attic of popular author -- and noted scientific speculator -- H.G. Wells is a machine that might offer them the hope they need!… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Map of Time by Félix J. Palma was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,348,554 books! | Top bar: Always visible