De kaart van de tijd by Félix J. Palma

De kaart van de tijd (original 2008; edition 2011)

by Félix J. Palma (Author), Marleen Eijgenraam (Translator)

Member:connie53
Title:De kaart van de tijd
Authors:Félix J. Palma (Author)
Other authors:Marleen Eijgenraam (Translator)
Info:Amsterdam Sijthoff cop. 2011; 576 pag.
Collections:Your library, 2012 gekocht/gekregen/gewonnen, gelezen, 2012 gelezen
Rating:***
Tags:Fantasy

The Map of Time by Félix J. Palma (2008)

The Dancers at the End of Time by Michael Moorcock (brianc6)
    brianc6: A wonderful story of time travel and the 19th century.

English (85)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  All languages (94)
The well-developed characters and imaginative story line kept me fascinated from beginning to end. I love the way the author told his tale with the texture and flavor of the early science fiction classics.

You know those books that you wish would never end? Those where the characters become your best friends for a while? Well, this isn't one of them. It goes on and on until you're ready to say goodbye. I think it could have used a little pruning.

I listened to the audiobook, and fell in love with the sound of the reader's voice. He was absolutely perfect for this book. I used it as my dog-walking book, taking it in in thirty minute segments. I've always loved walking my dogs, but I have never looked forward to my walks so much as I did while listening to this book. ( )
  JackieCarroll | Jul 25, 2014 |
Good read. I wasn't always sure of the style, but the twists and turns were clever and entertaining. Worth a read. ( )
  hredwards | Jun 17, 2014 |
Went on a bender from a really good read to a really strange one very quickly. ( )
  lyrrael | May 18, 2014 |
The Map of Time weaves together the stories of three 19th century London characters: a wealthy young man who loves a common prostitute, a woman who is certain she cannot enjoy life in the present, and a science fiction writer who becomes embroiled in a number of schemes. You see this? I’m practicing my gripping introductions.

Read the rest of the review at http://digitalmanticore.com/?p=162 ( )
  Lin-Z | Mar 30, 2014 |
This book is an enigma for me. I had to finish it to know how the twists and turns were resolved, so I give the author high marks for constructing a compelling novel. I thought the way he intertwined the main plots was well done and entertaining. But I'll tell you what happened while reading Map of Time, I found myself subconsciously skipping whole paragraphs. For me, I felt like the author could have sped up the pacing at times and it would have made for a more entertaining read. I liked it… but I have a hard time enthusiastically recommending it. ( )
  crossovers | Jan 4, 2014 |
Though the novel occasionally moves slowly, there is so much going on that one is almost grateful for being able to take a breath, before being whisked back into the adventure. And that is what The Map of Time truly is, despite its steampunkish inclinations, and a bit of masquerading as literary science fiction: a rollicking good adventure yarn that, with a nudge and a wink and a bit of sleight of hand, is sure to leave delight in its wake and a smile on one’s face. And that, Dear Reader, is really all one can ask for.

Palma wanders in and out of genres—is his book science fiction? literary fiction? fantasy? Whatever the answer, it’s great fun to read, particularly for those with a bent for counterfactual history.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Jun 1, 2011)

Félix J. Palmaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caistor, NickTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Solum, KristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Was inspired by

The distinction between past, present and future is an illusion, but a very persistent one.
- Albert Einstein
Mankind's most perfectly terrifying work of art is the division of time.
- Elias Canetti
What is waiting for me in the direction I don't take?
- Jack Kerouac
Andrew Harrington would have gladly died several times over if that meant not having to choose just one piston from among his father's vast collection in the living room cabinet.

Londres, 1896. Innumerables inventos hacen creer al hombre que la ciencia es capaz de conseguir lo imposible, como demuestra la aparición de la empresa Viajes Temporales Murray, que abre sus puertas dispuesta a hacer realidad el sueño más codiciado de la humanidad: viajar en el tiempo, un anhelo que el escritor H. G. Wells había despertado un año antes con su novela La máquina del tiempo. De repente, el hombre del siglo XIX tiene la posibilidad de viajar a otras épocas, como hace Claire Haggerty, una joven acaudalada e insatisfecha que está convencida de que ninguno de sus pretendientes puede ofrecerle el amor verdadero. Esa insatisfacción la llevará a viajar al año 2000, donde se enamorará de un hombre del futuro, un hombre que en su época aún no ha nacido, con quien vivirá una historia de amor a través del tiempo. Pero no todos desean ver el mañana. Andrew Harrington es un joven que pretende suicidarse al comprender que nada podrá borrar el dolor que que siente por la muerte de su amada, una prostituta llamada Mary Kelly, que fue la última víctima de Jack el Destripador. Pero abandona la idea cuando le ofrecen viajar ocho años en el pasado para salvarla de la muerte él mismo. Y el propio H. G. Wells sufrirá los riesgos de los viajes temporales cuando un viajero del futuro llegue a su época con la intención de matarlo para publicar sus novelas con su nombre, obligándolo a emprender una desesperada huida a través del tiempo, atravesando la II Guerra Mundial y los años ochenta hasta perderse en un futuro tan remoto como insondable.
Predestination,
Fate, choice: would you go back in
Time to change your life?
(passion4reading)

London, 1896. Andrew Harrington's lover Marie Kelly was murdered by Jack the Ripper and he longs to turn back the clock and save her. Meanwhile, Claire Haggerty, forever being matched with men her family consider suitable, yearns for a time when she can be free to love whom she choses. As their quests converge, it becomes clear that time is the problem -- to escape it or to change it. Hidden in the attic of popular author -- and noted scientific speculator -- H.G. Wells is a machine that might offer them the hope they need!… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Map of Time by Félix J. Palma was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,690,578 books! | Top bar: Always visible