The Map of Time: A Novel by Felix J Palma

The Map of Time: A Novel (original 2008; edition 2012)

by Felix J Palma

1,2061096,637 (3.56)97
Title:The Map of Time: A Novel
Authors:Felix J Palma

The Map of Time by Félix J. Palma (2008)

Recently added bySuncat, bgnbrooks, stelleappese, kubi60, beaunaratau, drewsof, private library, LindaEdwards
    The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The Anubis Gates and The Map of Time blur the line between Science Fiction and Fantasy, presenting intricately plotted time travel stories with a hint of Mystery that feature appearances by 19th-century literary figures alongside more fantastical elements.… (more)
    The Dancers at the End of Time by Michael Moorcock (brianc6)
    brianc6: A wonderful story of time travel and the 19th century.

English (99)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  All languages (109)
If this series interests you, consider reading the second book, "The Map of the Sky" first and then approach this novel as the prequel. "The Map of the Sky" is not only a novel that stands well alone, but it is also intelligently written, complete with action and social analysis. In contrast, "The Map of Time" is an enjoyable read but lacking in the philosophical intrigue and action sequences present in the second. In addition, what the reader doesn't know about the series serves as an advantage for the second book, which would otherwise be lost were the books read in their original sequence. ( )
  Meghanista | Sep 20, 2015 |
I found the framing annoying, groping desperately for post-modernism and trying too hard to be smart. All of these are aspects to a book that will not warm me to it.

It was a struggle to read this one, I honestly didn't care if all the characters were killed. This story has a mishmash of ideas about time travel that are all thrown at the reader, sometimes in long letters, featuring H G Wells as a main character, with cameos by Bram Stoker and Henry James and honestly it didn't engage me. It features a lot of theories about time travel and many different twists and turns that end the reader in knots. Yeah, there were some parts that moved faster but I was very willing to leave long gaps between reading.

There are readers for this book, I'm not one. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Aug 25, 2015 |
My God, that cover. Oh, and the blurb. I want this book. Now.
  KillerCorp | Jul 27, 2015 |
Just what I needed to distract me from the summer heat. Palma has taken H.G. Wells' The Time Machine and launches from there into a wonderful premise that has the reading believing / disbelieving / believing in time travel. Palma's all-seeing narrator leads us through three intertwining stories set in Victorian England, a wonderful time period for a good genre-bender read. Palma brings the author H.G. Wells - along, to a lesser extent, Henry James and Bram Stoker - to life in his stories which is good for a potential reader of Palma' story to know. I for one, tend to enjoy stories where real historical figures are characters and I don't analyze whether or not the author gives an accurate portrayal of these individuals. Let just say Palma brings enough accuracy to our three literary figures for me to settle back and enjoy the story.

Fans of Wells' novel and the subsequent movie adaptations may enjoy the details that Palma brings to his story. I know I did, but it is so much more than a Time Machine story. It is a wonderful historical fiction story first and foremost but it is also a genre-bending delight. It is a historical, literary, mystery, fantasy, steampunk-styled adventure wrapped up into one page-turning package. I have read a number of novels that have taken Victorian England and adapted it to suit the author's needs, but this one is different. The story doesn't try to tamper with the known Victorian England time period. Palma leaves that firmly intact for readers to ground themselves as they follow his characters down the train of thought of possible parallel universes and the "map of time" that parallel universes may create. I really enjoyed how Palma plays with the reader, leading them along and feeding them with tantalizing information that may, or may not, be proven correct as the story progresses, kind of like a carnival's maze of mirrors where one tries to find the right way through the maze. Palma has a gift for painting a detailed picture and for crafting his characters, drawing the reader into the scene and engaging with the characters. He also knows how to pace his story: slow enough to lay the groundwork and to bring all the subtle details to the readers attention while still carrying the plot forward at a decent pace, keeping my interest from waning.

Favourite quote:"True literature should rouse the reader, unsettle him, change his view of the world, give him a resolute push over the cliff of self-knowledge." If you are a fan of [The Time Machine] and H.G. Wells' novels, and if you are like me and enjoy reading stories where historical literary figures are characters in the story, this first book in a currently three-book series may appeal to you. I thoroughly enjoyed my escapism romp through Victorian England under Palma's pen and I am looking forward to reading book two in the series - The Map of the Sky. ( )
  lkernagh | Jul 13, 2015 |
I didn't really like this book about 1/3 of the way through. It's broken into 3 sections and after the first I began to feel cheated. But I plowed on to the second section and things didn't seem to be getting better. Until section two turned into a lovely little story and the threads that tie all three sections are revealed. The final third is a mind blowing and thought provoking bow tie that wraps the whole novel.

Really well done. Helps is your a fan of h.g. Wells but that's not mandatory.

Recommend highly. ( )
  dham340 | May 10, 2015 |
Though the novel occasionally moves slowly, there is so much going on that one is almost grateful for being able to take a breath, before being whisked back into the adventure. And that is what The Map of Time truly is, despite its steampunkish inclinations, and a bit of masquerading as literary science fiction: a rollicking good adventure yarn that, with a nudge and a wink and a bit of sleight of hand, is sure to leave delight in its wake and a smile on one’s face. And that, Dear Reader, is really all one can ask for.
Palma wanders in and out of genres—is his book science fiction? literary fiction? fantasy? Whatever the answer, it’s great fun to read, particularly for those with a bent for counterfactual history.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Jun 1, 2011)

Félix J. Palmaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caistor, NickTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marchetti, PierpaoloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Solum, KristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Was inspired by

The distinction between past, present and future is an illusion, but a very persistent one.
- Albert Einstein
Mankind's most perfectly terrifying work of art is the division of time.
- Elias Canetti
What is waiting for me in the direction I don't take?
- Jack Kerouac
Andrew Harrington would have gladly died several times over if that meant not having to choose just one piston from among his father's vast collection in the living room cabinet.

Londres, 1896. Innumerables inventos hacen creer al hombre que la ciencia es capaz de conseguir lo imposible, como demuestra la aparición de la empresa Viajes Temporales Murray, que abre sus puertas dispuesta a hacer realidad el sueño más codiciado de la humanidad: viajar en el tiempo, un anhelo que el escritor H. G. Wells había despertado un año antes con su novela La máquina del tiempo. De repente, el hombre del siglo XIX tiene la posibilidad de viajar a otras épocas, como hace Claire Haggerty, una joven acaudalada e insatisfecha que está convencida de que ninguno de sus pretendientes puede ofrecerle el amor verdadero. Esa insatisfacción la llevará a viajar al año 2000, donde se enamorará de un hombre del futuro, un hombre que en su época aún no ha nacido, con quien vivirá una historia de amor a través del tiempo. Pero no todos desean ver el mañana. Andrew Harrington es un joven que pretende suicidarse al comprender que nada podrá borrar el dolor que que siente por la muerte de su amada, una prostituta llamada Mary Kelly, que fue la última víctima de Jack el Destripador. Pero abandona la idea cuando le ofrecen viajar ocho años en el pasado para salvarla de la muerte él mismo. Y el propio H. G. Wells sufrirá los riesgos de los viajes temporales cuando un viajero del futuro llegue a su época con la intención de matarlo para publicar sus novelas con su nombre, obligándolo a emprender una desesperada huida a través del tiempo, atravesando la II Guerra Mundial y los años ochenta hasta perderse en un futuro tan remoto como insondable.

Google translation of the above:
London, 1896. Countless inventions made man believe that science is able to achieve the impossible, as evidenced by the appearance of the company Temporary Trips Murray, which opens ready to realize the most coveted dream of humanity: to ride in time, a desire that the writer HG Wells had awakened a year before his novel The Time Machine. Suddenly, the man of the nineteenth century has the ability to travel in time. Claire Haggerty, a wealthy and dissatisfied young woman is convinced that none of her suitors can offer true love. That dissatisfaction causes her to travel to the year 2000, where she falls for a man of the future, a man who in her time has not yet born, and they live a love story through time. But not everyone wants to see tomorrow. Andrew Harrington is a young man who intends to commit suicide when he realized that nothing can erase the pain that he feels for the death of his beloved, a prostitute named Mary Kelly who was the last victim of Jack the Ripper. But he  abandons the idea when offered travel eight years in the past to save Mary from death itself. HG Wells himself suffer the risks of time travel when a traveler of the future comes to his time with the intention of killing Wells to publish his novels in his name, forcing Wells to embark on a desperate flight through time, through World War II and the eighties to get lost in such a remote future as unfathomable.
Fate, choice: would you go back in
Time to change your life?

London, 1896. Andrew Harrington's lover Marie Kelly was murdered by Jack the Ripper and he longs to turn back the clock and save her. Meanwhile, Claire Haggerty, forever being matched with men her family consider suitable, yearns for a time when she can be free to love whom she choses. As their quests converge, it becomes clear that time is the problem -- to escape it or to change it. Hidden in the attic of popular author -- and noted scientific speculator -- H.G. Wells is a machine that might offer them the hope they need!… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Map of Time by Félix J. Palma was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,774,111 books! | Top bar: Always visible