Keeping Faith: A Novel (P.S.) by Jodi…

Keeping Faith: A Novel (P.S.) (original 1999; edition 2010)

by Jodi Picoult

Member:tracy12
Title:Keeping Faith: A Novel (P.S.)
Authors:Jodi Picoult
Info:Harper Perennial Modern Classics (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:2012, book club

Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult (1999)

Recently added byKarabelle, karenchase, TLHelen, private library, tglovell, JacklynThymian, vickimarie2002, kimg77

Absolutely love this book! It has been on my favorites list for about seven years now. I have the original print copy of this novel. Unfortunately there are quite a few errors that were not caught by the editors but it shows an amazing story of a family being torn apart and a girl who brings multiple religions and peoples together. I would recommend this to anyone! ( )
  gagirl101 | Jan 24, 2015 |
Typical Picoult. Makes me wonder when I'll give up on the cookie cutter books. ( )
  greenscoop | Nov 15, 2014 |
on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 I wrote about this book:

Finished reading last night. I liked this book. Very interesting subject. Maybe the book could have been a bit shorter and it would have been better but all in all a very good read.
8.5

Marlene-NL | Apr 12, 2013 |
Keeping Faith. Jodie Picoult. 2010. This must have been a good deal on the Kindle because I usually like to read hard copies of Picoult so I can share with friends. This book is as readable and suspenseful as the other Picoult novels I’ve read. Mariah White and and her daughter Faith come home early and find her husband with another woman. Mariah quickly divorces her husband. Shortly after Faith who has had no religious training whatsoever starts seeing the Virgin Mary, healing people and develops stigmata! The media discovers Faith and life becomes a nightmare. A rabbi, a Catholic priest and a con man who has become famous debunking all things religious try to determine if Faith is imagining her visions or if they are real. ( )
  judithrs | Dec 10, 2012 |
I did really enjoy this book, and I'm kind of surprised by that.
In starting it I found it painfully predictable; and then an acquaintance saw me reading it and told me it does get better and to get ready to be up all night, not able to finish it. It did get better and I did find myself unwilling to stop reading once I started ... but once I stopped reading there was no real pull to get me to pick it up again and start reading (until the last 2 chapters -- chapters are VERY long). [That's why I only gave it 4 1/2 stars ...]

I did not find the writing or storyline to be offensive (I'm deeply and devoutly Catholic) and actually really enjoyed the back and forth between the Catholic priests and the Jewish rabbis. I have great respect for Jews, more so than I do for Protestants. I really enjoyed that aspect of the storyline. I don't know how much the author knows about the background workings of the Catholic Church, at the "local" level -- bishop -- but I wish she had played more into the politics that take place. In my experience, the bishop is the last to know anything, especially "decisions" he's made. The underlings under him make those decisions and inform him when they go wrong.

And finally, I loved the "love" scenes between the two characters ... I really felt it and understood it, which I greatly enjoyed : )

Adrianne ( )
  Adrianne_p | Aug 16, 2012 |
Om utgivelsen
Hun er en liten jente med en usynlig venn. Etter skilsmissen er Faith ulykkelig. Hun vil at mamma og pappa skal være sammen. Er den nye vennen et rop om hjelp, om å bli sett? Eller har Faith faktisk kontakt med krefter som er større enn henne selv?

Mange tror Mariah kynisk utnytter datteren i et spill om oppmerksomhet og hevn. Men når foreldrene møtes i retten for å slåss om omsorgen for Faith er det langt mer enn barnets beste som står på spill. Det handler om hva som skjer mellom mennesker når sikkerhetsnettet er vekk, når alt som er igjen er troen og styrken som kommer innenfra.

Min datter tro er en medrivende fortelling om kampen for et barn i et samfunn der media, psykologene og de troende styrer.
added by KirstenLund | editwww.cappelendamm.n0 (Apr 10, 2000)

Picoult, Jodiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Foss, ElizaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gibson, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Laura Gross
Under normal circumstances, Faith and I should not be home when my mother calls and invites us to come see her brand-new coffin.

Somewhere between belief and doubt lies faith. For the second time in her marriage, Mariah White catches her husband with another woman and Faith, their seven year old daughter, witnesses every painful minute. In the aftermath of a sudden divorce, Mariah struggles with depression and Faith seeks solace in a new friend… a friend who may or may not be imaginary.

Faith talks to her "Guard"constantly; begins to recite passages from the Bible— a book she's never read. Fearful for her daughter's sanity, Mariah sends her to several psychiatrists. Yet when Faith develops stigmata and begins to perform miraculous healings, Mariah wonders if her daughter-- a girl with no religious background-- might indeed be seeing God. As word spreads and controversy heightens, Mariah and Faith are besieged by believers and disbelievers alike, caught in a media circus that threatens what little stability they have left.

What are you willing to believe? Is Faith a prophet or a troubled little girl? Is Mariah a good mother facing an impossible crisis— or a charlatan using her daughter to reclaim the attention her unfaithful husband withheld? As the story builds to a climactic battle for custody, Mariah must discover that spirit is not necessarily something that comes from religion, but from inside oneself.

One of America's most powerful and thought-provoking novelists, New York Times bestselling author Jodi Picoult brilliantly examines belief, miracles, and the complex core of family.

When the marriage of Mariah White and her cheating husband, Colin, turns ugly and disintegrates, their seven-year-old daughter, Faith, is there to witness it all. In the aftermath of a rapid divorce, Mariah falls into a deep depression -- and suddenly Faith, a child with no religious background whatsoever, hears divine voices, starts reciting biblical passages, and develops stigmata. And when the miraculous healings begin, mother and daughter are thrust into the volatile center of controversy and into the heat of a custody battle -- trapped in a mad media circus that threatens what little stability the family has left.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:23 -0400)

Faith, a seven-year-old girl whose family is torn apart by divorce, begins talking to God and performing miracles, and her family enters a media circus of believers, critics, medical professionals, and lawyers.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,090,844 books! | Top bar: Always visible