Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type by Doreen…

Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type (2000)

by Doreen Cronin

Other authors: Besty Lewin (Illustrator)

Series: A Click, Clack Book (1)

Elementary
  SteppLibrary | Jan 10, 2018 |
In this book, a farmer’s cows learn how to use a typewriter and demand electric blankets to keep them warm. After he refuses, the cows go on strike and withhold milk from the farmer. Eventually the hens join in on the strike, because they want electric blankets too. So now the farmer is without milk and eggs. It is a funny, short story, and there is a great little plot twist at the end involving the ducks. I think the main point of this book is mainly just to be silly and fun. However, I could use this book to demonstrate to students how strikes work, and how workers of the world can unite together. Animal rights could also come up in discussion while reading this book. I thought it was a pretty good book overall! ( )
  alexann11 | Nov 18, 2017 |
"Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type" by Doreen Cronin is the interesting story of what happens when the farmer's cows get a type writer. The cows begin making demands for themselves and the other farm animals and swear to stop all production until these demands are met. This book is filled with repetitive onomatopoeia that child absolutely love to sing along with. ( )
  ambercmccord | Nov 17, 2017 |
I love this book. I used it as a read aloud for a pre-school classroom, and the children absolutely loved it. There was repetition in the book, so the children pick up on the words real fast in order to say that part of the book with me. The students were able to connect animal with their sounds as well. I also incorporated math in the read aloud by getting the the children to count the animals on each page. The children found the book humorous. This is a Caldecott award winning book. The illlustrations are great uses of watercolor. ( )
  kml597 | Nov 15, 2017 |
I love the illustrations in the book. The cows typing letters asking for heated blankets is hilarious! Great story for preschool or kindergarten aged children. ( )
  chandra.t | Oct 28, 2017 |

Doreen Croninprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lewin, BestyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my Dad -D.C.
To Sue Dooley - B.L.
Farmer Brown has a problem. His cows like to type.
"Dear Cows and Hens: There will be no electric blankets. You are cows and hens. I demand milk and eggs. Sincerely, Farmer Brown"
Duck was a neutral party, so he brought the ultimatum to the cows.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689832133, Hardcover)

The literacy rate in Farmer Brown's barn goes up considerably once his cows find an old typewriter and begin typing. To the harassed farmer's dismay, his communicative cows quickly become contentious:

Dear Farmer Brown,
The barn is very cold at night. We'd like some electric blankets.
Sincerely,
The Cows

When he refuses to comply with their demands, the cows take action. Farmer Brown finds another note on the barn door: "Sorry. We're closed. No milk today." Soon the striking cows and Farmer Brown are forced to reach a mutually agreeable compromise, with the help of an impartial party--the duck. But this poor, beleaguered farmer's "atypical" troubles are not over yet!

This hilarious tale will give young rebels-in-the-making a taste of the power of peaceful protest and the satisfaction of cooperative give and take. Witty watercolors by award-winning illustrator Betsy Lewin (Snake Alley Band, Araminta's Paint Box) will make this a favorite for one and all, even if words such as "ultimatum" and "neutral" throw the younger set. (Ages 5 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:16 -0400)

When Farmer Brown's cows find a typewriter in the barn they start making demands, and go on strike when the farmer refuses to give them what they want.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,756,898 books! | Top bar: Always visible