Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type by Doreen…

Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type (original 2000; edition 2011)

by Doreen Cronin, Betsy Lewin (Illustrator), Randy Travis (Reader)

Member:cschull
Title:Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type
Authors:Doreen Cronin
Other authors:Betsy Lewin (Illustrator), Randy Travis (Reader)
Info:Little Simon (2011), Edition: Pap/Com, Paperback, 32 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:picture book, Caldecott Honor, Visual Literacy assignment

Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type by Doreen Cronin (2000)

This book is very cute. It is a good book for younger grades such as k-2. You could use this book to discuss farm-life, negotiation, and new technology (referencing the typewriter). It is fun for the class, and could also allow they to experiment with animals voices. ( )
  CleoButtermann | Apr 29, 2016 |
Slightly dated, but a good book to read. This argumentative book shows the conflict between the cows and the farmer. I like how the cows attempt to make reasonable requests for blankets although this book leaves me with more questions than answers. How did the cows get that typewriter? How do you plug in an electric blanket in a barn? Why is the farmer so cranky? The artwork was pleasing with its offbeat style. It almost appeared to use water colors in a children's coloring book manner. The typewritier could prove as an issue as many students will no longer know what a typewriter is as it is very outdated. Aside from that, it is a good discussion book which may require a lot of background knowledge prep that a teacher could keep on their classroom bookshelf. ( )
  sdoody1 | Apr 18, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book for many reasons. I read this book as a child and it was always one of my favorites because I thought it was so funny. I like this story because it has patterned/ repetitive language, organized writing and the plot of the story. Every time the cows type a letter, it says "click, clack, moo" and then at the end the ducks get ahold of a type writer and it changes to "click, clack, quack" which I think is funny and clever. The writing was in a font that looks like it would be used on a type writer which made it realistic and interesting to read. The plot of the story was humorous because cows can't type but that is how they communicated with the farmer. The conflict was that the cows wanted heated blankets so they were not going to give the farmer milk and in the end they got the blankets. The main idea of this story was to demonstrate if someone is not being treated right or disagree with how they are treated they can go on strike and stand up for themselves and their rights by boycotting or trading to make the situation fair. ( )
  amyadams19 | Apr 17, 2016 |
I like Click Clack Moo: Cows That Type because is a fun story that young readers can interact with while they are reading. The story is captivating and fun for young readers, where they can read aloud with the reader during the "Click-Clack-Moo" refrain. During the story, readers may also be able to guess what comes next in the story to pique their interest in how the story unfolds. Young readers may also be able to relate to the relationship between the cows and the farmer, as it relates to their relationship with a teacher or their own parents. Young readers will enjoy the story as well as the colorful and creative illustrations. ( )
  Sdaile2 | Apr 11, 2016 |
This book is about some silly cows on a farm who happen to have a typewriter and use it. This was a book that I read countless times when I was little. The illustrations are really cute and the story keeps you very intrigued. ( )
  haleyherring | Apr 11, 2016 |

Doreen Croninprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lewin, BestyIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For my Dad -D.C.
To Sue Dooley - B.L.
Farmer Brown has a problem.
"Dear Cows and Hens: There will be no electric blankets. You are cows and hens. I demand milk and eggs. Sincerely, Farmer Brown"
Duck was a neutral party, so he brought the ultimatum to the cows.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689832133, Hardcover)

The literacy rate in Farmer Brown's barn goes up considerably once his cows find an old typewriter and begin typing. To the harassed farmer's dismay, his communicative cows quickly become contentious:

Dear Farmer Brown,
The barn is very cold at night. We'd like some electric blankets.
Sincerely,
The Cows

When he refuses to comply with their demands, the cows take action. Farmer Brown finds another note on the barn door: "Sorry. We're closed. No milk today." Soon the striking cows and Farmer Brown are forced to reach a mutually agreeable compromise, with the help of an impartial party--the duck. But this poor, beleaguered farmer's "atypical" troubles are not over yet!

This hilarious tale will give young rebels-in-the-making a taste of the power of peaceful protest and the satisfaction of cooperative give and take. Witty watercolors by award-winning illustrator Betsy Lewin (Snake Alley Band, Araminta's Paint Box) will make this a favorite for one and all, even if words such as "ultimatum" and "neutral" throw the younger set. (Ages 5 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:16 -0400)

When Farmer Brown's cows find a typewriter in the barn they start making demands, and go on strike when the farmer refuses to give them what they want.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,755 books! | Top bar: Always visible