Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type by Doreen…

Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type (original 2000; edition 2011)

by Doreen Cronin, Betsy Lewin (Illustrator), Randy Travis (Reader)

Member:cschull
Title:Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type
Authors:Doreen Cronin
Other authors:Betsy Lewin (Illustrator), Randy Travis (Reader)
Info:Little Simon (2011), Edition: Pap/Com, Paperback, 32 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:picture book, Caldecott Honor, Visual Literacy assignment

Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type by Doreen Cronin (2000)

My students absolutely love this book. I like to use this book when teaching persuasive writing. It is a Caldecott Honor book. The illustrations are packed with details and the type in the book helps relay the message and tone the characters are using.

The cows on the farm love to type and now they are using their typing skills for a greater purpose, to help persuade Farmer Brown to give them what they want. They want a warm barn to sleep in. When the other animals hear of what they are up to, the decide they want things too! The animals go on strike until finally a truce is made; electric blankets for the cows in exchange for their typewriter. He gives in. Then the ducks get the typewriter... ( )
  Kelleighk1 | Sep 27, 2016 |
I love this book! I love how they bring so much real life animation to the cows. Children love this book and it keeps them very engaged. ( )
  Madima6781 | Sep 26, 2016 |
The writing style in this book was so humorous and engaging. I loved the funny side of this book such as the silly demands the cows are requesting from the typewriter they are writing from. The pictures go along great with the text and gie the reader a great visual as he or she is reading the book. One truly comprehends the humor in the book from both the pictures and text that goes along with it. This book is great for the lower grade students as well as the higher grade elementary students, because it is a fun and silly book to help entertain the students.
  MacyMoonshower | Sep 25, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book because of the plot, the language, and the illustrations. First, the plot for this story is very refreshing and playful, a great farm tale story for kids. "Farmer Brown has a problem. His cows like to type". Farmer Brown has cows that like to type him messages on a typewriter for their every need. This includes wanting electric blankets because they're cold at night. The plot is unusual, but it's what makes this story unique and fun to read. "Sorry. We're closed. No milk today." How funny would that note be from a cow? Second, the language in this story is very patterned. Every time the cows are typing a message the phrases, "Click, clack, moo. Clickety, clack, moo." appear on the pages. Lastly, the illustrations in the story seem to be done in watercolors, almost like a child's drawing. I liked this because they added a more personal, artistic feel to the story. ( )
  AndreaStreet | Sep 20, 2016 |
Summary:
Click, Clack, Moo Cows that Type is a silly story that follows the story of farmer brown and his struggle since his cows love to type all day!

Personal Reaction:
This book reminds me of my little six month old. There is nothing he loves more than banging on the keys of my laptop. He will love this book.

Classroom extension ideas:
1). We can use a typewriter or keyboard to help the children learn their alphabet and even enhance their typing skills.
  t.smith12 | Sep 13, 2016 |

Doreen Croninprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lewin, BestyIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For my Dad -D.C.
To Sue Dooley - B.L.
Farmer Brown has a problem. His cows like to type.
"Dear Cows and Hens: There will be no electric blankets. You are cows and hens. I demand milk and eggs. Sincerely, Farmer Brown"
Duck was a neutral party, so he brought the ultimatum to the cows.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689832133, Hardcover)

The literacy rate in Farmer Brown's barn goes up considerably once his cows find an old typewriter and begin typing. To the harassed farmer's dismay, his communicative cows quickly become contentious:

Dear Farmer Brown,
The barn is very cold at night. We'd like some electric blankets.
Sincerely,
The Cows

When he refuses to comply with their demands, the cows take action. Farmer Brown finds another note on the barn door: "Sorry. We're closed. No milk today." Soon the striking cows and Farmer Brown are forced to reach a mutually agreeable compromise, with the help of an impartial party--the duck. But this poor, beleaguered farmer's "atypical" troubles are not over yet!

This hilarious tale will give young rebels-in-the-making a taste of the power of peaceful protest and the satisfaction of cooperative give and take. Witty watercolors by award-winning illustrator Betsy Lewin (Snake Alley Band, Araminta's Paint Box) will make this a favorite for one and all, even if words such as "ultimatum" and "neutral" throw the younger set. (Ages 5 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:16 -0400)

When Farmer Brown's cows find a typewriter in the barn they start making demands, and go on strike when the farmer refuses to give them what they want.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,244,020 books! | Top bar: Always visible