Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type by Doreen…

Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type (original 2000; edition 2011)

by Doreen Cronin, Betsy Lewin (Illustrator), Randy Travis (Reader)

Member:cschull
Title:Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type
Authors:Doreen Cronin
Other authors:Betsy Lewin (Illustrator), Randy Travis (Reader)
Info:Little Simon (2011), Edition: Pap/Com, Paperback, 32 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:picture book, Caldecott Honor, Visual Literacy assignment

Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type by Doreen Cronin (2000)

This is a book about how the farm animals want stuff, so they write a letter to the farmer. But in order to get their way, they have to compromise. ( )
  TarynNicole | May 10, 2017 |
Reading this book now, compared to when I read it as a little girl, I noticed more of the text instead of the concept. The book contains great vocabulary words like: strike, impatient, neutral party, ultimatum. I think that when I read this when I was young, I would just skip over the word not knowing what it meant. This could be a great opportunity to read to children and ask them to use context clues. A funny, great book. ( )
  rmwinter | May 4, 2017 |
Summary: The book is about cows who type to their owner/farmer. They type requests asking for electric blankets. The farmer can't give them electric blankets so the cows type a letter saying they won't give anymore milk. The cows gather the ducks and chickens and they withhold their eggs. The farmer finally give the animals electric blanket and all is well.

Critique of Genre: Modern Fantasy because animals are talking in the book.

Age: Primary

Media: water color ( )
  elissamcgeever | Apr 19, 2017 |
I would use this book in a third grade class room as a read aloud. I would have them listen carefully and then when they were finished I'd have them summarize what the heard and draw a picture of one of the characters. This would help them identify characters in a story. I'd also use this with a first or second grade class when teaching students about poetry and rhyming.
  kroby01 | Apr 18, 2017 |
For this book, I would use it as a first-grade read aloud. I would introduce the repetition at the end of the lines with "click, clack, moo" and have the children repeat with me at that time. Then the children would practice their letter writing by writing their own letters to Farmer Brown making a demand for something they wanted.
  EllieDowns | Apr 18, 2017 |

Doreen Croninprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lewin, BestyIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For my Dad -D.C.
To Sue Dooley - B.L.
Farmer Brown has a problem. His cows like to type.
"Dear Cows and Hens: There will be no electric blankets. You are cows and hens. I demand milk and eggs. Sincerely, Farmer Brown"
Duck was a neutral party, so he brought the ultimatum to the cows.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689832133, Hardcover)

The literacy rate in Farmer Brown's barn goes up considerably once his cows find an old typewriter and begin typing. To the harassed farmer's dismay, his communicative cows quickly become contentious:

Dear Farmer Brown,
The barn is very cold at night. We'd like some electric blankets.
Sincerely,
The Cows

When he refuses to comply with their demands, the cows take action. Farmer Brown finds another note on the barn door: "Sorry. We're closed. No milk today." Soon the striking cows and Farmer Brown are forced to reach a mutually agreeable compromise, with the help of an impartial party--the duck. But this poor, beleaguered farmer's "atypical" troubles are not over yet!

This hilarious tale will give young rebels-in-the-making a taste of the power of peaceful protest and the satisfaction of cooperative give and take. Witty watercolors by award-winning illustrator Betsy Lewin (Snake Alley Band, Araminta's Paint Box) will make this a favorite for one and all, even if words such as "ultimatum" and "neutral" throw the younger set. (Ages 5 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:16 -0400)

When Farmer Brown's cows find a typewriter in the barn they start making demands, and go on strike when the farmer refuses to give them what they want.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,163,760 books! | Top bar: Always visible