Junie B. Jones and the Stupid Smelly Bus by…

Junie B. Jones and the Stupid Smelly Bus (1992)

by Barbara Park

2,191722,948 (3.87)11

I have mixed feeling about this book. The book, in my opinion, is hilarious and portrays a typical child. Most books create characters that are “perfect” or someone to look up to. This book, however, describes a little girl who is a big troublemaker. Although children should not strive to be like Junie B. Jones, it is a much more accurate description of how children think. A cute, funny quote from the book that describes the way Junie thinks is, “Guess where I ran to? Straight to the nurse’s office, of course! Cause there’s those little plaid blankets to hide under!” On the other hand, I am not sure that I would read this book aloud. This book uses the word “stupid” and I am not a fan of young children using this word or thinking that it is okay to call someone by this name. The word is right on the cover in the title, so it is almost impossible to avoid the term. The main message of this book is understanding right vs. wrong. ( )
  jtaylo41 | Apr 10, 2014 |
Junie B. Jones has been one of my favorite book series ever since I was a young girl. Junie B. Jones and the Stupid Smelly Bus tells the story of Junie B's first day of kindergarten. I enjoyed rereading this book for many reasons. First, I love that the book is written from the perspective of a five, going on six-year-old, kindergarten student. The language and scenarios are filled with comedy. The situations that occur are explained exactly in a way that I would imagine a five-year-old to explain them. Next, I like the there are some illustrations to give readers a visual of what is going on. Not every page has illustrations, but there are just enough for readers to understand what Junie B. looks like. Finally, I enjoy that the chapters are not too long. Each chapter is only a few pages so it's easier for beginning readers to read and understand. I think the "big idea" of the first Junie B. Jones book is to describe what the first day of school is like in the mind of a kindergartener. It is definitely easy for students to relate to, and it's a story that kids of all ages can enjoy! ( )
  stoppe3 | Mar 12, 2014 |
I liked Junie B. Jones and the Stupid Smelly Bus for many reasons! First the character, Junie B. , was absolutely hilarious. I couldn’t put the book down until it was finished. The author did a wonderful job making her a believable kindergartener. Writing from Junie B’s point of view assisted the reader to feel like they were actually there with her. Second, the writing was engaging and well-paced. Since it was written from Junie B’s perspective, the language was attention-grabbing. The author did a great job using language to make it seem like it was written by a 6 year old. For example, “That Jim stepped on my new shoe. He made a scratch mark on my shiny toe!” This quote shows how Junie B’s thoughts flow. The message of the story was about overcoming fears and learning to try new things. ( )
  esiera1 | Feb 16, 2014 |
Junie B. Jones is a classic children's series, and this book is no exception. It's the first book in the series and it's Junie B.'s first day of kindergarten. The story follows the ups and downs of her first few days of school. This book can be very easy for children to relate to, so it is a great series to introduce early readers to. ( )
  slcooley | Dec 10, 2013 |
Meet Junie B. Jones! The B. Stands for Beatrice. Except Junie B. doesn’t like Beatrice. She just likes B and that’s all. It’s the first day of kindergarten. But Junie B. did not like riding the bus to school. Only guess what? Junie B. is an excellent hider. So, at the end of the day—when everyone lines up to go—home . . . Junie B. doesn’t.
-Review from Juniebjones.com
For ages 5-9
  kplowman2 | Dec 9, 2013 |
To Cody -
who missed his bus
and inspired this book
My name is Junie B. Jones.

Remember when it was scary to go to school? 'Cause it was your first day and you didn't know anything. Meet Junie B. Jones, kindergartner. She's so scared of the school bus and the meanies on it that when it's time to go home, she doesn't.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:32 -0400)

In her own words, a young girl describes her feelings about starting kindergarten and what she does when she decides not to ride the bus home.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,566,053 books! | Top bar: Always visible