Junie B. Jones and the Stupid Smelly Bus by…

Junie B. Jones and the Stupid Smelly Bus (1992)

by Barbara Park

Other authors: Denise Brunkus (Illustrator), Denise Brunkus (Illustrator)

Series: Junie B. Jones (1)

2,451912,513 (3.92)14

Humorous and fun read for back to school. Easy readers for beginning and younger students. Many in the series- don't stay on the shelves for long in our library and even very fluent readers seem to enjoy them. Junie has funny mannerisms and antics most kids can relate to with themselves or younger siblings.
  Amyinalaska | Jul 28, 2015 |
Barbara Park was first love for chapter books. She made reading very enjoyable and always fun to read. In "Junie B. Jones and the stupid Smelly Bus", as a kindergartner and in a very new and scary new environment (school). She tries to avoid going back to the school bus. She is faced with some strange consequences, but they are hilarious.
  ayala.yannet | Jun 7, 2015 |
It's Junie B's first day of school and she does not want to ride the bus to school. She is nervous and so when school is over she hides in the supply cabinet so she doesn't need to ride the school bus home. She has heard that the older kids will pour chocolate milk on her head. Junie B is a good hider and then she goes to the nurses office and then she needs to go to the bathroom and all the doors our locked - what is she going to do? Call 911 of course. I'm sure that many children experienced the same fear of the first day of school and being intimated by riding the school bus. This story is filled with humor (not always of the best kind) and will certainly hold young reader's interest.

There is really not much that is thought provoking about this story, but it is an enjoyable read that will keep children reading. For that reason, this series would be a good one to have on the classroom shelf for independent reading. I would prefer to see different books that encourage critical thinking or problem solving, but I recognize that sometimes readers need to read something that is easy and light hearted and this series certainly fits the bill. ( )
  zsvandyk | May 3, 2015 |
Nobody likes the bus Junie B. Jones tells all about the bus and how awful it is to be on it and the things that she goes through when she has to ride the bus to school.
  margaritamunoz14 | Apr 29, 2015 |
I really liked this book, for one, because I remember loving this series as a child. One of the main reasons I liked this book is because of the language. The writing of the book is written for children, when I say this, I mean that the author really relates to students. For example, "Some of the other bus kids turned out to be in my class too. One of them was that Jim. That Jim I hate." The language is easy for children to understand and read. I also like how the entire book is in first person, told by Junie B. For example, Junie B. likes to vent about stuff like, "Mrs. brushed it. 'don't worry, Junie,' she said. 'It'll come off.' After that I just folded my arms and made a frown. 'Cause guess what? She forgot my B again."

The big message of the story is that anyone can conquer their fears. In the beginning Junie B. does not want to ride the bus to or from school and she avoids riding the bus home. "I'm a good hider....I stayed scrunched behind the teacher's desk for a while. And then I saw a better place to hide. It was the big supply closet in the back of the room." At the end, she meets "That Grace" and after talking to her, Junie B. said, "Mother called that Grace's mother. And then they talked. And then me and that Grace talked, too. I said hi and she said hi. And she said she would sit with me." Another part of the big message would be that everybody gets nervous and normally when you think you're alone, you're not. For example, at the end of the story, she says, "And then she and me might get to be buddies....I will like that, I think. And guess what else? Tomorrow I think I might like yellow a little bit, too." This shows that no matter how alone you feel, someone else is probably going through it as well. Junie B felt more comfortable when she found/met That Grace and realized she had a friend to ride with. ( )
  LexaGoldbeck | Mar 30, 2015 |

Barbara Parkprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brunkus, DeniseIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brunkus, DeniseIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To Cody -
who missed his bus
and inspired this book
My name is Junie B. Jones.

Remember when it was scary to go to school? 'Cause it was your first day and you didn't know anything. Meet Junie B. Jones, kindergartner. She's so scared of the school bus and the meanies on it that when it's time to go home, she doesn't.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:01 -0400)

In her own words, a young girl describes her feelings about starting kindergarten and what she does when she decides not to ride the bus home.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,435,148 books! | Top bar: Always visible