Junie B. Jones and the Stupid Smelly Bus by…

Junie B. Jones and the Stupid Smelly Bus (1992)

by Barbara Park

My kindergartner loved this book. The illustrations are perfect and the dialogue is straight from any 5 year old's mouth. As a parent I could do with a little less of the word stupid, but as I just said, straight from any 5 year old. ( )
  capiam1234 | May 17, 2014 |
This is the first of the Junie B Jones series, and is all about Junie B starting kindergarten. The main idea of the book is confronting and resolving fears. Junie B is terrified of the bus and hides at the end of the day, so she does not have to get on it. This leads to lots of trouble when she is left in the school alone. The story is hysterical and told and written from a kindergartener’s perspective. Junie B says silly things like “ ‘Cause when you sniff, you can smell if there’s people around.” The story ends with Junie B getting in trouble and learning it is okay after all to ride the bus. This story is relatable to young kids who are starting the school year again and are nervous about change and possibly even riding the bus. ( )
  mderob1 | May 11, 2014 |
The Junie B. Jones series is a series that I read when I was little and could not get enough of. Junie B. Jones is a hysterical and adventurous little girl who can catch the attention of someone of any age. I loved the book because of the way that Barbara Park wrote it. The text is perfectly compliant with anything that a five year old girl would think or say, and therefore is completely relatable to young girls as well. She even says “I hate it in this stupid smelly bus!” which reflects the authors language throughout the book. Overall, the big idea of the book is to capture the child in everyone by making them laugh at Junie B's childish antics. ( )
  ckelly16 | May 11, 2014 |
I absolutely loved this book. When I was little I remember reading all of the Junie B. Jones books and reading this was like a flash back, it was great. I really liked this book because of the lessons learned in it and the way the story is written. First, the story is written in the point of view of Junie B. When reading the book you actually feel like you are listening to the thoughts of a kindergartener. This book is great because it is one of the first books in the series and Junie B. is afraid to ride the bus. This book talks about being afraid of new things and making friends. When Junie B. starts school she does not want to ride the bus. So much so that she hides in various places throughout the school. She learns her lesson when she is found and her mother forces her to ride the bus. The main message in this book is that it is okay to be afraid of new things. Junie B. was afraid of many things when she was first starting school and she made friends and was able to work out her situations. This book is great to show students that being nervous is okay and it happens to everyone. Some students feel like they are the only ones who are nervous. Just like Junie B. they can find a friend who is nervous like they are and work through the situation together. ( )
  tsmith44 | May 7, 2014 |
Not only is this one of my favorite books but I love the entire series. I will never forget my first grade teacher reading the whole series to my class and changing her voice and dialect depending on who was speaking in the book. This series is definitely a staple for any kindergarten to second grade classroom. The writing style is as if a five year old girl is speaking with many grammar errors and silly word choice. For example, she calls people "meanies" on the bus. It is a very relatable series for young girls. There is no message in this book but Barbara Park does a wonderful job of reminding adult readers to never lose touch of the child inside you. ( )
  jjones58 | Apr 24, 2014 |
To Cody -
who missed his bus
and inspired this book
My name is Junie B. Jones.

Remember when it was scary to go to school? 'Cause it was your first day and you didn't know anything. Meet Junie B. Jones, kindergartner. She's so scared of the school bus and the meanies on it that when it's time to go home, she doesn't.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:32 -0400)

In her own words, a young girl describes her feelings about starting kindergarten and what she does when she decides not to ride the bus home.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,112,851 books! | Top bar: Always visible