Junie B. Jones and the Stupid Smelly Bus by…

Junie B. Jones and the Stupid Smelly Bus (1992)

by Barbara Park

Other authors: Denise Brunkus (Illustrator), Denise Brunkus (Illustrator)

Series: Junie B. Jones (1)

I really enjoyed this book for two main reasons. I think that the main character is fantastic. Junie B. is a very funny and sarcastic girl, which makes the story enjoyable to read. I also like the way the story is written. It is in first person, and it is very informal, in the form of a journal. This brings life to the story and keeps it interesting and fun to read. The word choice is simple and makes the story flow. The big idea in this story is sometimes we can be afraid of different things, but it is important to face our fears. ( )
  maddieburchell | Apr 26, 2016 |
In my opinion this is an okay book. There were things that I liked and things that I did not like. I like the plot of the book because it is very relatable to young readers. I think that many kids fantasize about what happens in the school after they leave or what room is behind a door that they have never been in. Junie B. gets to explore all over the school when no one else is there. I did not like the writing in the book. There were many words that were misspelled like "cause" for "because" and "mergency" instead of "emergency." I understand that they are trying to use the dialect of a child entering kindergarten but children reading the book will believe those are actual spellings of the word and get confused down the road. The big idea of this story is to keep an open mind on the first day of school and not believe all the myth's that you may hear like "pouring chocolate milk on peoples heads" because everything will work out. ( )
  amyadams19 | Apr 17, 2016 |
Junie B. Jones is a brand new Kindergarten student who does not like to be on the school bus. It smells and the kids on there are horrible. To avoid these problems she decides to hide in a closet at school and not go home. Her mom becomes really worried and concerned so they go to the school to find her and they do, roaming around by herself. Her mom decide it would be best for her to never miss the bus again so she made her get a friend that could sit with her on every bus ride. This book is very fun and interestingly written. Have the perspective of a child is very cute and makes you want to read more. Her smart comments and remarks make it more realistic.
GENRE: Early Chapter book
USE: Don't miss the bus
If there is something you don't like, tell someone
  japodaca14 | Apr 14, 2016 |
I would read this book (or other Junie B Jones books) as a read aloud with kindergarteners or first graders. I would use these books as read aloud because the students can connect with them at that age and will find the books enjoyable/humorous although they could not yet read them on their own completely. These books introduce kids to narratives, shorts stories, and problem solution at an early level. One connection activity I would do with kindergarten or first graders after reading this book is to have them write a few sentences about a time they had to do something they didn't want to do just like Junie B did and draw a picture to go along with it, then we would share them with the class.
  aburgin01 | Mar 21, 2016 |
I loved this book! Very fun read for children who are just begging to read chapter books. Junie B. uses language that is very age appropriate, since she is in kindergarten. I think this book would be very relatable to children who have to ride the bus to school and all of her other little dramas throughout the story. Very entertaining and I am sure the rest of the series is as funny.
  michelleripley | Mar 12, 2016 |

Barbara Parkprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brunkus, DeniseIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brunkus, DeniseIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To Cody -
who missed his bus
and inspired this book
My name is Junie B. Jones.

Remember when it was scary to go to school? 'Cause it was your first day and you didn't know anything. Meet Junie B. Jones, kindergartner. She's so scared of the school bus and the meanies on it that when it's time to go home, she doesn't.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:01 -0400)

In her own words, a young girl describes her feelings about starting kindergarten and what she does when she decides not to ride the bus home.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 23 books! | Top bar: Always visible