Junie B. Jones and the Stupid Smelly Bus by…

Junie B. Jones and the Stupid Smelly Bus (1992)

by Barbara Park

This book is the first in the Junie B. Jones series. In this book, Junie B. is starting Kindergarten. She doesn't want to ride the bus, This book is about her starting Kindergarten. I would like to use/have this in my classroom because it is a funny, relatable, and engaging story for students. I would use this with children in Kindergarten up to 2nd grade. I would read it aloud towards the beginning of school.
  JeniseRedding | Dec 7, 2014 |
In my opinion, this is a great book. One of the reasons why I liked this book is because of Junie B. Jones. Junie B. has a very big personality. She is a little sarcastic and demanding at times, but she is still a very likable character. Junie B. is also very funny at times, even if she doesn't mean to be. For example, “Her name was Mrs. --- I can’t remember the rest of it. Mrs. said I looked cute.” Another reason why I enjoyed this book was because the book was told from Junie B. Jones perspective. Junie B. Jones is in kindergarten, and the author captures Junie’s young mind perfectly. Junie’s actions and sayings are what I would expect from a child in kindergarten. “That made me feel scary inside. Cause I never rided on a bus before.” I feel like being afraid is the reaction any child would have to something new. Throughout the entire story Junie B. is afraid to ride the bus. Finally, at the end of the story Junie B. realizes that the bus isn't so bad after all. The big idea of the story is to show children that they can conquer their fears. ( )
  Chawki6 | Nov 29, 2014 |
Junie B. Jones is starting Kindergarten, but there is one small problem. She is terrified of the school bus and tries to hide out and avoid riding it. Like always with Junie, this leads to all sorts of problems. She gets left in the school alone. In the end, Junie learns that the bus is not so bad after all.

This story is humorous and easy read for early readers. This series are great for children. They are very relatable because they are going through the same things Junie B. Jones is too. The Junie B. Jones series were my favorite when I was younger, so I decided to read one again. I can say, I was happy with my decision. ( )
  ashleyschifano | Nov 25, 2014 |
Loved it! I could really connect to Junie B with her hatred for the bus, as I am sure many people can. I would read this to the class and have them write about something they thought was scary at first, but then realized it wasn't so bad after all, just like Junie B Jones did. ( )
  dtolton93 | Nov 19, 2014 |
It's so funny that when Dr. Haas asked us to bring chapter books my third grade group all brought Junie B.'s, just goes to show what I great job the author did of giving her such a voice and allowing most ages to identify with Miss Jones. This book has a central point of Junie B. not liking the "stupid smelly bus". I would connect this with class to see if there was something in their life they did not initially enjoy but in the end realized it wasn't so bad.
  ecm014 | Oct 23, 2014 |
To Cody -
who missed his bus
and inspired this book
My name is Junie B. Jones.

Remember when it was scary to go to school? 'Cause it was your first day and you didn't know anything. Meet Junie B. Jones, kindergartner. She's so scared of the school bus and the meanies on it that when it's time to go home, she doesn't.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:32 -0400)

In her own words, a young girl describes her feelings about starting kindergarten and what she does when she decides not to ride the bus home.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,493,962 books! | Top bar: Always visible