Trouble Don't Last by Shelley Pearsall

Trouble Don't Last (2002)

by Shelley Pearsall

249None46,644 (3.75)3

This book definitely kept me interested and wanting to read it. This is her first book that was published in 2002 and Shelley Pearsall has since written some other books that I am hoping to get to at least a couple of them soon. I enjoyed the book much more than what I thought I would...It took me a little bit to finish the book because I was and am still unpacking and trying to find places for things in the new apartment {as of this post}...But if you enjoy historical fiction, especially around slavery...This book is at least worth picking up and at least taking a look at. Its an "easy read" that shouldn't take long to get through. Once I read the first page, it drew me in. :-) ( )
  BridgetsBookNook | Feb 6, 2014 |
"trouble don't last" is a very moving story about a young slave escaping from Kentucky. Its well written and offers some mystery along with its slave narrative. It shows how the Underground Railroad was not a clear route and how scary it was for slaves trying to escape using the UR. ( )
  TheHeathers | Feb 20, 2013 |
eleven year old boy is a slave ( )
  bellamy727 | Sep 17, 2010 |
By KB Shaw "incwell.com" (Chandler, AZ United States) - See all my reviews

In her author's notes, Shelly Pearsall states that, while the Underground Railroad is a familiar American story, the real heroes of the story, the slaves themselves, are often left in the background. She wanted to write a book that would present the harrowing flight to freedom from the slave's point-of-view. She wanted to ask, "What did they think and feel... What was the journey like? Whom did the runaways trust and whom did they fear?" She succeeded brilliantly.
She chose as her narrator a former slave named Samuel, who recounts his unwilling trek to "CANADAY" as a boy of eleven. Young Samuel was ignorant of anything beyond his experience on his master's farm. Not allowed to read by his masters and kept in his place by the two aging slaves, Lilly and Harrison, who raised him after his mother was sold. Samuel is ignorant and, consequently, fearful. When a fleeing Harrison whisks him off in the middle of the night, Samuel doesn't know what to think. Samuel sees a threat in every shadow and every step he takes is a step further away from the only life he's known. His only desire is to stay out of trouble.

In choosing the adult Samuel as her storyteller, Ms. Pearsall has created a voice that is at once educated and naive. SamuelÃ*s perception of the journey and the people he encounters is the heart of the book�most importantly, his portrayal of the crotchety, perhaps senile, old slave Harrison. The book has an almost Huckelberry Finn quality to it, mostly because of its episodic nature and the variety of "characters" the duo meet on their journey.
  patriciaj | May 22, 2007 |
Keep your eyes on the sun, See how she run, don't let her catch you with your work undone. I'm a trouble, I'm a trouble. Trouble don't last always.
- Virginia slave song
For my family who always believed.
Truth is, trouble follows me like a shadow.

Eleven-year-old Samuel was born as Master Hackler’s slave, and working the Kentucky farm is the only life he’s ever known—until one dark night in 1859, that is. With no warning, cranky old Harrison, a fellow slave, pulls Samuel from his bed and, together, they run.

The journey north seems much more frightening than Master Hackler ever was, and Samuel’s not sure what freedom means aside from running, hiding, and starving. But as they move from one refuge to the next on the Underground Railroad, Samuel uncovers the secret of his own past—and future. And old Harrison begins to see past a whole lifetime of hurt to the promise of a new life—and a poignant reunion—
in Canada.

In a heartbreaking and hopeful first novel, Shelley Pearsall tells a suspenseful, emotionally charged story of freedom and family. Trouble Don't Last includes a historical note and map.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:52 -0400)

Samuel, an eleven-year-old Kentucky slave, and Harrison, the elderly slave who helped raise him, attempt to escape to Canada via the Underground Railroad.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,497,207 books! | Top bar: Always visible