Trouble Don't Last by Shelley Pearsall

Trouble Don't Last (2002)

by Shelley Pearsall

This book definitely kept me interested and wanting to read it. This is her first book that was published in 2002 and Shelley Pearsall has since written some other books that I am hoping to get to at least a couple of them soon. I enjoyed the book much more than what I thought I would...It took me a little bit to finish the book because I was and am still unpacking and trying to find places for things in the new apartment {as of this post}...But if you enjoy historical fiction, especially around slavery...This book is at least worth picking up and at least taking a look at. Its an "easy read" that shouldn't take long to get through. Once I read the first page, it drew me in. :-) ( )
  MsBridgetReads | Jul 8, 2014 |
Winner of the Scott O'Dell award for historical fiction and a Booklist editors choice. The author recreates the physical environment as the young protagonist and "Old Harrison" escape from Kentucky to head north to Canada via the Underground Railroad. These two main characters are fictional however they do come in contact with real historical figures as explained in the author's note. ( )
  root.katy | Jun 8, 2014 |
This is a story about an eleven year old boy named Samuel and his journey to freedom. Set in 1859, Samuel was born into slavery and working the fields is all he has ever known, until one night Old Harrison, a fellow slave, pulls him from his bed and tells him he is running to freedom with him. As the two travel north seeking refuge with people who are part of the Underground Railroad, Samuel begins to realize there is more to life than being a slave and has to come to terms with acceptance of his cruel treatment over the past eleven years. As the journey continues Samuel begins to see hope in freedom. ( )
  natalie.loy | Jun 4, 2014 |
  OBridget1 | May 4, 2014 |
  BridgetsBookNook | Feb 6, 2014 |
Keep your eyes on the sun, See how she run, don't let her catch you with your work undone. I'm a trouble, I'm a trouble. Trouble don't last always.
- Virginia slave song
For my family who always believed.
Truth is, trouble follows me like a shadow.

Eleven-year-old Samuel was born as Master Hackler’s slave, and working the Kentucky farm is the only life he’s ever known—until one dark night in 1859, that is. With no warning, cranky old Harrison, a fellow slave, pulls Samuel from his bed and, together, they run.

The journey north seems much more frightening than Master Hackler ever was, and Samuel’s not sure what freedom means aside from running, hiding, and starving. But as they move from one refuge to the next on the Underground Railroad, Samuel uncovers the secret of his own past—and future. And old Harrison begins to see past a whole lifetime of hurt to the promise of a new life—and a poignant reunion—
in Canada.

In a heartbreaking and hopeful first novel, Shelley Pearsall tells a suspenseful, emotionally charged story of freedom and family. Trouble Don't Last includes a historical note and map.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:52 -0400)

Samuel, an eleven-year-old Kentucky slave, and Harrison, the elderly slave who helped raise him, attempt to escape to Canada via the Underground Railroad.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,607,115 books! | Top bar: Always visible