Photoshop 6 Down and Dirty Tricks by Scott…

Photoshop 6 Down and Dirty Tricks

by Scott Kelby

34None491,893 (3.2)None

No reviews

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 073571147X, Paperback)

"Valuable tips infest this book like locusts from some biblical plague! A must for any Photoshop hack."

I used to think I was a fairly good Photoshop user, but after reading this book, I've come to the conclusion that I'm a moron. This Scott Kelby guy is a genius. He knows Photoshop like a vampire knows a neck, and he attacks his subject with the same gusto. The information, nay, wisdom gushes out of this book like water through a fire hydrant. It's just good!

The best part about all this is that Kelby doesn't ever put on airs. He never says, "Oh, I am the Photoshop Lord, so let me tell you the sordid history of Photoshop and pontificate at length about my many graphics arts achievements" or any of that other malarkey that a lot of those so-called expert books regurgitate. Kelby is the humble master, offering the most amazing tricks and suggestions you would never think up yourself, and doing so in a tight, well-written manner. I mean, this book reads so well that it actually made me want to subscribe to the Photoshop User magazine he edits just to read more of his stuff.

This is not a beginner's book. Don't pick it up if you're just learning Photoshop or are utterly unfamiliar with the terms. There is no handholding. There are no tedious explanations or goofy icons. It's just knowledge and wisdom written and illustrated in an appropriate and easy-to-follow manner. Even a Photoshop moron such as myself could follow the instructions and do amazing things.

The cover price may pinch you, but the information is worth it--even without the four-color illustrations on practically every page. (And the illustrations are necessary and important, not like the eye candy or silly graphics of many other four-color books.) This book reminds me of the heyday of computer book publishing way back in the late '80s: it's good, well-presented information, and it makes you a better computer user after reading it. I can't recommend it enough. --Dan Gookin

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:57 -0400)

Down & Dirty Tricks is packed cover to cover with step-by-step tutorials on the coolest Photoshop 6.0 effects. The book is not another rehash of masking, pixels, and file formats or resolution--it's nothing but the cool stuff that will make your client's (or boss's) jaw drop. Plus, it's an awesome Photoshop tips book too! That's because next to every tutorial, on every single page, there's a sidebar with a timesaving Photoshop 6.0 tip, trick, shortcut, or real-world technique to save you time, money, and make you more efficient. Written in plain English, you can jump in anywhere; simply open the book to the effect you want to create and follow along. It's that easy (and that much fun!). Among many other tricks, the reader will learn: Amazing chrome and metallic effects How to create those dazzling high-tech Web interfaces Cool 3D effects using Photoshop's own filters Shadow techniques that the pros really use Instant texture and background effects The most requested advertising effects… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,429,137 books! | Top bar: Always visible