Come, Tell Me How You Live by Agatha…

Come, Tell Me How You Live (1946)

by Agatha Christie

Murder in Mesopotamia by Agatha Christie (VivienneR)
    VivienneR: The memoir may have been the inspiration for the mystery.
    The Life and Crimes of Agatha Christie by Charles Osborne (y2pk)
    y2pk: More about Agatha Christie's life.

This is 3.5 stars.

Agatha Christie is the best. This is a memoir of her time accompanying her husband on archaeological digs in Syria. Agatha is hilarious and sensible. She is upfront about the fact that this is not a very serious memoir and will not have insightful, in depth descriptions of a antiquities, history, politics or economic problems; rather it will contain passages like this:

I stand looking over the rail. How lovely it is, this coast with the mountains of the Lebanon standing up dim and blue against the sky! There is nothing to mar the romance of the scene. One feels poetical, almost sentimental...

A familiar hubbub breaks out -- excited cries from a cargo boat we are passing. The crane has dropped a load into the sea, the crate has burst open...

The surface of the sea is dotted with lavatory seats. ( )
  amy_marie26 | Apr 23, 2014 |
He is, fortunately, diverted at this moment by a printed linen frock lying folded in another suitcase. 'What's that?' I reply that it is a dress. 'Interesting', says Max. 'It's got fertility motifs all down the front.' One of the more uncomfortable things about being married to an archaeologist is their expert knowledge of the derivation of the most harmless-looking patterns!

A charming memoir of life on archaeological digs in Syria in the 1930s, in which Agatha Christie comes across as a much more humorous and likeable person than I had expected. I especially enjoyed the poem at the beginning of the book. ( )
  isabelx | Mar 5, 2011 |
"Come, Tell Me How You Live" is Agatha Christie's memoir of accompanying her husband, Max Mallowan, on his archaeological expeditions to Syria and Iraq in the 1930s. Her descriptions of their day-to-day life at the digs and interactions with the people of the region, as well as her observations of the Middle Eastern region in general, make for fascinating reading. The book offers a glimpse of her adventurousness, and is written in an engaging, very readable style . Highly recommended. ( )
1 vote y2pk | Apr 18, 2010 |
Come, Tell Me How You Live is Agatha Christie's memoir of her time spent with her husband while he was on an archaeological dig in Syria. Christie proves she is just as capable of writing about her everyday life as she is her murder mysteries. And she's surprisingly funny, too! There was more than one occasion where I laughed out loud at some of her descriptions of her adventures.

What surprised me most was how adaptable she was to her surroundings. I think I've been carrying around a inaccurate mental image of the Christie; one of a woman who enjoys her comforts and wouldn't be the type to be roughing it in tents in the Syrian wilderness, but what was presented in this memoir was the complete opposite. Christie had no problems going camping on route to the various digs that her husband was scouting out, but at the same time, she certainly didn't mind returning to London after several months abroad. It was very interesting to "see" firsthand what it was like to work on one of these archaeological digs in the 1930s-40s.

The only thing that I found lacking in the book was just a personal observation. She mentions writing one of her books during one of the seasons in Syria, but she never says which one it is! I would love to know which book she was writing at the time to see if her experience on the dig influenced the tone or feel of the story that she was writing.

Overall this was a fun little book and a nice departure from the usual Christie mystery fare. If you are a fan of Agatha Christie, I'd highly recommend giving this book a read. It's been out of print for awhile, so you may need to see if your library can get a copy for you, but I don't think you'll be disappointed. ( )
1 vote tapestry100 | Jan 2, 2010 |

Christie, Agathaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hawkes, JacquettaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pryce-Jones, DavidIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my husband, Max Mallowan; to the Colonel, Bumps, Mac and Guilford, this meandering chronicle is affectionately dedicated.
Foreword: This book is an answer.
Chapter One: In a few weeks' time we are starting for Syria!

Agatha Christie was already a celebrated writer of mysteries when, in 1930, she married the archaeologist Max Mallowan. In the pre–war years thereafter, Christie enthusiastically joined her husband on various archaeological expeditions in the Middle East, and these shared adventures, these happy and memorable times, provided her not only with the background for several of her novels, but also with the “everyday doings and happenings” which she zestfully describes in the pages of this high–spirited memoir,

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553350498, Leather Bound)

Another wonderful Agatha Christie Mystery in The Agatha Christie Mystery Collection.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:42 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,670,171 books! | Top bar: Always visible