One Beetle Too Many: The Extraordinary…

One Beetle Too Many: The Extraordinary Adventures of Charles Darwin

by Kathryn Lasky

This is a book that I've been intending to read for quite a while and just haven't gotten around to. Now that I have though, I am pleased to share that I really enjoyed it. It was well written, using a couple of different literary devices that I'd like to revisit in the future including excellent use of items in a series. I think I counted that one three different times in here.
Also, it was a great biography on Darwin and filled in some details that make him, if nothing else, a more colorful, vibrant man. I would love to share it with children though I think that the length would prevent it from being a simple read-aloud. Even though it's got all the making of a good boy book with its blood and grossness in all the right places, I can't picture an elementary age child persevering through it without some ulterior motive like a school assignment to push them through.
I enjoyed it though. It was a well done biography. ( )
  matthewbloome | May 19, 2013 |
Since I will be teaching high school, I doubt that I would incorporate this book into any of my lessons, although the history of Charles Darwin is important in biology. The illustrations are designed for 7-12 year old, but much of the text (in my opinion), is for a more advanced reader than the age suggested. My son, who is 10, loves science and the natural environment, was very interested in the book when I showed it too him, but lost interest when it got to be too long for him. The organization was fine and simple with the sequential events taking place during Charles' life in correct order, as far as I know. The author was inaccurate when he summed up Charles' boat journey, but still got the sequence of events correct. The illustrations were colorful and detailed. I do not believe that Chrales Darwin believed in a "Creator," as the book suggests. ( )
  777100987 | Feb 9, 2013 |
Retelling: Charles Darwin grew up loving and experimenting with science. He did not, however, do very well in school. His father decided the best profession for him would be a Clergyman. His path changed when a friend of his invited him to explore the world on a ship called the Beagle. It was on this journey that Darwin discovered clues that raised questions in his mind about the current understanding that animals were always the same. He began to see signs that life changed to suit its environment and found sea shell fossils at the top of cliffs indicating that either the sea was higher or the mountain had started in the sea. His experience in an earthquake made him favor the latter explanation.

Thoughts and Feelings: There are some marvelous questions in this book, questions that Darwin might have asked. Mathew Trueman's illustrations were spectacular. I wonder how he makes all of his people look so friendly and welcoming. They are absolutely delightful.
  Ms.Penniman | Aug 27, 2011 |
Great book! Amazing illustrations! Lots of good informatin about the life of Charles Darwin ( )
  jenna476b | Oct 15, 2010 |
This is a beautifully illustrated picture book biography of Charles Darwin. Although it is in picture book format, the author is clearly writing for an older audience. I couldn't help but feel that there were large gas in information as the story progressed from one "chapter" to the next. But this format was great for getting an idea of who Darwin was and to give a little background into his life. The illustrations alone make this a worthy read. ( )
  asomers | Aug 13, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 076361436X, Hardcover)

A lively text and captivating images tell the story of the ever-curious boy who grew up to make one of the most significant discoveries of our time.

From the time Charles Darwin was a boy, he was happiest when he was out alone collecting specimens (especially beetles). And despite his father's efforts to turn young Darwin — a poor student — into a doctor or clergyman, the born naturalist jumped instead at the chance to sail around South America, observing and collecting flora and fauna all the way. In a clear, engaging narration, Kathryn Lasky takes readers along on Darwin's journey, from his discovery of seashells on mountaintops that revealed geological changes to his observations of variations in plants and animals, suggesting that all living things are evolving over time. Matthew Trueman's striking mixed-media illustrations include actual objects found in nature, enhancing this compelling look at the man behind the bold theory that would change the way we think about the world — and ourselves.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:36 -0400)

Describes the life and work of the renowned nineteenth-century biologist who transformed conventional Western thought with his theory of natural evolution.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,461,569 books! | Top bar: Always visible