The Jehovah Contract by Victor Koman

The Jehovah Contract (original 1985; edition 1989)

by Victor Koman (Author), Gary Ruddell (Cover artist)

Member:Lyndatrue
Title:The Jehovah Contract
Authors:Victor Koman (Author)
Other authors:Gary Ruddell (Cover artist)
Info:Avon Books (1989), Mass Market Paperback
Tags:science fiction, collectible, Box1

The Jehovah Contract by Victor Koman (1985)

An assassin is contracted to kill God in a Blade Runner-ish millennial Los Angeles. Part noir, part scifi, part quasi-philosophical ramblings. I wanted to like this one for it's somewhat novel concept and a couple of very good future predictions, but unfortunately the rather bland writing style and uninteresting characters ruin the experience. The characters are particularly disappointing as they seem potentially very interesting at first, but then nothing happens. It's not a horribly bad book as this type of scifi goes, but it's nothing more than that. ( )
  pan0ramix | May 26, 2017 |
I don't know quite what I expected from this book, but it didn't deliver. It had a lot of ingredients that I really enjoy, but it never really came together & grabbed me. The POV was tough-guy, almost noir detective, better than Mike Hammer, but of the same ilk. Still, he never really popped for me. He was always two dimensional. The action was very much like a space opera, which I also like, but it didn't work well in this situation. I think that was the main problem. I didn't find enough humor to make the convenient way events play out just fun as they need to be in such yarns.

The overall attitude about gods & religion are much like my own. If you're religious, don't read this, it's probably just offensive. The basic idea being that there is only one god with many names & the overall contradictions they hold in common are pointed out. Korman stuck mostly to Christianity for details, although he picked on them all.

The ending was pretty good, but I was more than ready for it & it wasn't a surprise. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
Genuinely strange. Fun, but strange. ( )
  Lyndatrue | Nov 26, 2013 |
Talk about an audacious concept! A guy is hired to kill God. Yes, kill God. Hmmm, maybe this is the prequel to Towing Jehovah. However, while the idea is striking, the writing is not professional-grade. ( )
  Carnophile | Jun 4, 2008 |
To my parents,
Igor Petrovich and Alexandra Pavlovna,
who showed me what possibilities
life, liberty, and love could bring.

"Continues influencing the reader's thoughts for a long time afterwards.... About a zillion things I wish I'd thought of first.... This book's going to start as a cult favorite ... in much the same way Tolkien's work or Herbert's Dune have."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:20 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,976,670 books! | Top bar: Always visible