The Principles of Knitting by June Hemmons…

The Principles of Knitting (original 1989; edition 1988)

by June Hemmons Hiatt (Author)

Member:lkmiller
Title:The Principles of Knitting
Authors:June Hemmons Hiatt (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster (1988), Hardcover, 584 pages
Collections:Your library, Our library
Rating:*****
Tags:nonfiction, crafts, knitting, craft reference, hardcover, own, checked, packed, box a

The Principles of Knitting: Methods and Techniques of Hand Knitting by June Hiatt (1989)

The Principles of Knitting is a truly intelligent knitting book that may define the craft for generations to come. It contains clear, complete, accurate coverage of construction methods, techniques, and helpful hints - not only the author's personal favorites, but many others as well. Unlike the all-too-familiar sort of knitting instructor who insists on only one "right" way, Ms. Hiatt presents the alternative ways too. She also gives some of her own innovations in both terminology and methodology, which make good sense, and can improve any readers skills in creative knitting. She discusses when, how, and why one might choose any particular technique above another, and the purpose of each operation, as well as various ways of solving common problems. ( )
  RochesterKnittingGui | Apr 17, 2016 |
Informative, great for beginners or advanced ( )
  dom76 | Jan 7, 2015 |
The new edition of this classic work does not disappoint. I formerly checked out the 1989 version from my library until it went missing, so cannot compare page by page, but the new edition shares the comprehensive content, clear illlustrations, and well written descriptions of techniques for about any knitting situation you will come across. If you want a comprehensive reference book get a copy of this very reasonably priced classic. This is not for the beginning knitter - but highly recommended for those who want to know how and when they should choose specific details in their own work.
1 vote Helenoel | Feb 11, 2012 |
Principles of Knitting is an exhaustive compilation of knitting techniques, descriptions of tools of the trade, and detailed advice on designing knitted garments of all types. If you can get a copy, avail yourself! Would love to see it back in print. ( )
1 vote Helm44 | Apr 6, 2011 |
This tour-de-force volume is worth the exorbitant price I paid the used book vendor for it. It covers many techniques, such as double-knitting, that do not appear elsewhere in my book horde. Hiatt does have some definite prejudices about the mechanics of forming stitches, and that's what keeps the book from getting a 5-star rating. ( )
2 vote fishcentric | Jan 20, 2010 |
Mrs. Hiatt is the Shirley Corriher of knitting: a knitting scientist. She explains the hows and whys of knit fabric construction. She comprehensively covers stitch formation and behavior, fabric construction, decorative techniques, project management, and pattern design. The layout and illustrations are superior and add value to the reference. The index is outstanding. It has nearly everything you could ever need to know about the methods and techniques of knitting. The author shows several methods of accomplishing every item she covers. Granted, she doesn’t cover everything, but who does?

It is set up in a rather odd order; sort of like the grocery store. However, I haven’t found this to be a problem since I use it like an encyclopedia. Ms. Hiatt is rather opinionated in which methods and techniques she likes best. I’m okay with that, since she went to all of the trouble to assemble this masterpiece she’s entitled to her opinions. I always have the option to ignore them. Overall, it is a comprehensive tome, which would be my choice if I could have only one knitting book. This book is currently out of print, but rumor has it that it will be reprinted by Simon & Schuster in October of 2009. Put it on your list.

"Methods and techniques of hand knitting"--Jacket subtitle.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,421,762 books! | Top bar: Always visible