The Regulators by Richard Bachman

The Regulators (original 1996; edition 1997)

by Richard Bachman

4,029361,267 (3.36)1 / 65
Member:yrizaria
Title:The Regulators
Authors:Richard Bachman
Info:Signet (1997), Paperback, 512 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:SF

The Regulators by Richard Bachman (1996)

Desperation by Stephen King (ElBarto, kxlly)
    ElBarto: Der Schwesterroman, erzählt eine ähnliche aber doch ganz andere Geschichte.
    Unhappy Endings by Brian Keene (Scottneumann)
    Darkness on the Edge of Town by Brian Keene (Scottneumann)
    A Gathering of Crows by Brian Keene (Scottneumann)

English (33)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (36)
Pretty dang good! A boy is delivering the newspapers on his street then - BLAM! The story roars along right from that start! And it was super cool to read a story that is so intertwined with another book (Desperation), yet so different! Fun too! But, I'd say this - what if the little boy had not been allowed to watch television shows with violent images? For me, it reaffirms my parenting choices for my 6 1/2 year old! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Oct 6, 2014 |
The Short of It:

Brimming with wit but tame as far as horror stories go.

The Rest of It:

One sunny afternoon, an entire neighborhood finds itself the center of destruction when a group of demented villains show up in vans and basically shoot anything that moves. As the residents watch in horror, they suddenly realize that this is no random act and that their quiet little neighborhood is under siege.

The Regulators was published under the name Richard Bachman, but most King fans know that Bachman is the pen name King used for several years. As far as his books go, this is one of the tame ones. There are lots of characters to keep track of in this small neighborhood but their personalities are different enough (in most cases) to keep everyone straight. There is a supernatural element but he doesn’t spend too much time on that aspect of it, just the aftermath and how it affects this particularly unlucky neighborhood. The story is a little farfetched but by the end, I was buying it. It’s definitely not one of his stronger books, but I did enjoy reading it and it was a quick read.

When I posted about The Summer of King, and how I wanted to spend my summer reading King books, some of you told me that The Regulators and Desperation happen to be related. When I chose those two to read, I had no idea that they featured parallel worlds. Talk about dense. I mean, if you look real hard you can even see how the cover art connects to one another. Anyway, so although this book was a little tame for me, I appreciate King’s classic sense of humor in relation to being blown to bits, cheating wives and annoying kids. I chuckled many times and now can’t wait to re-read Desperation as I read that one when it first came out and cannot remember a thing about it!

Have you read a King book lately?

For more reviews, visit my blog: Book Chatter. ( )
  tibobi | Jul 29, 2014 |
Desperation was better - John Marinville is one of my more favorite King characters for some reason. He just seems to be very real. ( )
  beebowallace | Apr 12, 2014 |
Written under the pseudonym Richard Bachman, Regulators was released the same time as Desperation. Many of the character names are replicated as are items and places in both novels. However the characters personalities are very different as well as ages. While Desperation was set in a mining town the majority of The Regulators actually takes place in a single street (a street that's not in Desperation).

I picked this book up after reading Desperation and having ranked it as one of my favourite King books I then held high expectations for The Regulators. Unfortunately it failed to meet them for me. Strangely enough it took me over 2 weeks to read, but the fact that I finished the book is a positive for it I suppose.

Ok so the reasons why I didn't like it that much. Firstly I normally love the way King slowly introduces his characters to us, going into a little background detail, so that the reader feels as if they know them personally. There was nothing like this here. Within the first dozen pages we had met around 15 characters. To be honest I was glad when a few got killed to make it easier to remember them all. Unlike the majority of King's other novels I just found it hard to empathise with any of them, I didn't care if they lived or died. There just wasn't the level of detail I would have expected, in particular the history of 'Tak' could have been explored deeper.

The second aspect I really didn't like was the fact the most chapters were segregated by diary entries or newspaper clippings. Some readers may have enjoyed the realism this brought to the novel, I just found it a distraction. What got even worse was when the TV show scripts came out. I hate reading plays, so these were even more of a drag than the other extracts.

Thirdly, as is apparent with a number of his novels, the ending just didn't satisfy. I would go into reasons as I not want to spoil the book for anyone else, but it just seemed a bit of an easy way out.

There was a positives though, the action when it came was thick and fast and very grisly.

In all, not the worst King book I have ever read (that award goes to 'The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon') but is certainly one of his weaker ones. I am just glad that I read Desperation first, as I think that if I read this first I would probably not have bothered, and that would be a great shame. ( )
  Bridgey | Mar 10, 2014 |
Yet another good book from this author. Very interesting story, full of unexpected twists. I also really enjoyed the way that the format alternated from standard storytelling to excerpts from personal journals, newspapers, and other sources. It seemed to make the story much bigger and far-reaching than the one street on which it takes place.

One warning: this story is filled to the brim with violence and very graphic blood and gore. Flying blood and guts and gleaming skulls are described with no restraint. If this isn't your thing, you might want to avoid this book, because you'll be encountering violence every few pages once the action gets going. ( )
  athenaharmony | Jan 24, 2014 |
"Mister, we deal in dead."
—Steve McQueen
The Magnificent Seven
Thinking of Jim Thompson and Sam Peckinpah:
legendary shadows.
Summer's here.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451191013, Mass Market Paperback)

An evil creature called Tak uses the imagination of an autistic boy to shift a residential street in small-town Ohio into a world so bizarre and brutal that only a child could think it up. It's as two-dimensional and gaudy as a kid's comic book, but for this reviewer, The Regulators is a gripping adventure tale about what happens when a mind fixated on TV (especially old Westerns and a cartoon called MotoKops 2200) runs amok. As Michael Collins writes in Necrofile, "[Stephen] King offers his readers a glimpse of the true evil of popular culture ... which has no design or intent, only an empty need to sustain itself. King is, I think, about the canniest observer of what America is, and that he generally writes horror ought to give us pause from time to time."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:38 -0400)

At the start of a midsummer's day, life seems idyllic on Poplar Street. However, in the house of Seth, an eight-year old autistic child, something is amiss, something which will change the entire neighborhood's concept of reality. By the end of the day, this serene Ohio suburb will become a terrifying slaughterhouse.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,507,185 books! | Top bar: Always visible