The Regulators by Richard Bachman

The Regulators (original 1996; edition 1997)

by Richard Bachman

4,041381,259 (3.36)1 / 65
Member:nicole2222
Title:The Regulators
Authors:Richard Bachman
Info:Signet (1997), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback, 512 pages

The Regulators by Richard Bachman (1996)

Recently added bybookaholixanon, filmbuff1994, ScottatOSU, Hil07, jackyjc1, FatMonkey, private library, rdelanty, wpisfs
    Desperation by Stephen King (ElBarto, kxlly)
    ElBarto: Der Schwesterroman, erzählt eine ähnliche aber doch ganz andere Geschichte.
    Unhappy Endings by Brian Keene (Scottneumann)
    Darkness on the Edge of Town by Brian Keene (Scottneumann)
    A Gathering of Crows by Brian Keene (Scottneumann)

English (35)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (38)
I read "Desperation" a few weeks ago. Reading reviews of that book, I discovered its connection to "The Regulators." I thought the plot would be pretty much the same, so I thought it would be interesting to read another book at the same time. The other book I found is called "Conquest," written by two authors, John Connolly and Jennifer Ridyard

The Regulators' and Desperation's plots were different. In Desperation, I had a hard time giving a voice to the bad guy. The "YEE HAW" and "GOSH DARN" phrases disrupted the story. In the Regulators, I was OK with it. The possessed character, and the back story explained it much better. ( )
  mainrun | Nov 23, 2014 |
Not one of his better books, but I'd probably read it again in a pinch. It was interesting, and I do love the way he ties bits from other books into his stories. This one refers to parts of "Desperation", which I actually probably wouldn't read again. This one was better than that, at least. ( )
  trayceetee | Nov 15, 2014 |
Pretty dang good! A boy is delivering the newspapers on his street then - BLAM! The story roars along right from that start! And it was super cool to read a story that is so intertwined with another book (Desperation), yet so different! Fun too! But, I'd say this - what if the little boy had not been allowed to watch television shows with violent images? For me, it reaffirms my parenting choices for my 6 1/2 year old! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Oct 6, 2014 |
The Short of It:

Brimming with wit but tame as far as horror stories go.

The Rest of It:

One sunny afternoon, an entire neighborhood finds itself the center of destruction when a group of demented villains show up in vans and basically shoot anything that moves. As the residents watch in horror, they suddenly realize that this is no random act and that their quiet little neighborhood is under siege.

The Regulators was published under the name Richard Bachman, but most King fans know that Bachman is the pen name King used for several years. As far as his books go, this is one of the tame ones. There are lots of characters to keep track of in this small neighborhood but their personalities are different enough (in most cases) to keep everyone straight. There is a supernatural element but he doesn’t spend too much time on that aspect of it, just the aftermath and how it affects this particularly unlucky neighborhood. The story is a little farfetched but by the end, I was buying it. It’s definitely not one of his stronger books, but I did enjoy reading it and it was a quick read.

When I posted about The Summer of King, and how I wanted to spend my summer reading King books, some of you told me that The Regulators and Desperation happen to be related. When I chose those two to read, I had no idea that they featured parallel worlds. Talk about dense. I mean, if you look real hard you can even see how the cover art connects to one another. Anyway, so although this book was a little tame for me, I appreciate King’s classic sense of humor in relation to being blown to bits, cheating wives and annoying kids. I chuckled many times and now can’t wait to re-read Desperation as I read that one when it first came out and cannot remember a thing about it!

Have you read a King book lately?

For more reviews, visit my blog: Book Chatter. ( )
  tibobi | Jul 29, 2014 |
Desperation was better - John Marinville is one of my more favorite King characters for some reason. He just seems to be very real. ( )
  beebowallace | Apr 12, 2014 |
"Mister, we deal in dead."
—Steve McQueen
The Magnificent Seven
Thinking of Jim Thompson and Sam Peckinpah:
legendary shadows.
Summer's here.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451191013, Mass Market Paperback)

An evil creature called Tak uses the imagination of an autistic boy to shift a residential street in small-town Ohio into a world so bizarre and brutal that only a child could think it up. It's as two-dimensional and gaudy as a kid's comic book, but for this reviewer, The Regulators is a gripping adventure tale about what happens when a mind fixated on TV (especially old Westerns and a cartoon called MotoKops 2200) runs amok. As Michael Collins writes in Necrofile, "[Stephen] King offers his readers a glimpse of the true evil of popular culture ... which has no design or intent, only an empty need to sustain itself. King is, I think, about the canniest observer of what America is, and that he generally writes horror ought to give us pause from time to time."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:38 -0400)

At the start of a midsummer's day, life seems idyllic on Poplar Street. However, in the house of Seth, an eight-year old autistic child, something is amiss, something which will change the entire neighborhood's concept of reality. By the end of the day, this serene Ohio suburb will become a terrifying slaughterhouse.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,001,620 books! | Top bar: Always visible