The Regulators by Richard Bachman

The Regulators (original 1996; edition 1997)

by Richard Bachman

4,307451,146 (3.37)1 / 66
Member:nicole2222
Title:The Regulators
Authors:Richard Bachman
Info:Signet (1997), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback, 512 pages

The Regulators by Richard Bachman (1996)

Desperation by Stephen King (ElBarto, kxlly)
    ElBarto: Der Schwesterroman, erzählt eine ähnliche aber doch ganz andere Geschichte.
    Unhappy Endings by Brian Keene (Scottneumann)
    Darkness On The Edge Of Town by Brian Keene (Scottneumann)
    A Gathering Of Crows by Brian Keene (Scottneumann)

English (42)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (45)
I don't even know how to explain this book....it was soooo strange! That being said, I couldn't put it down! I had to know what happened. It reminded me a little bit of From A Buick 8 because of the alternate world type of thing. It was definitely different but a really good read. ( )
  Tabatha014 | Mar 31, 2016 |
Not as good as Desperation. ( )
  Belles007 | Jan 17, 2016 |
I gave this three stars because I'm not really quite sure how I felt about this book. There were several points throughout that I simply had to put it down because it was just too much.

What I liked: I thought the characters were great; they felt real. The story was good. I kept wondering what on earth could possibly happen next.

What I didn't like: My only real complaint is the...intermissions (for lack of a better word.) While they made interesting reading, I would have rather read them all together at the end. Interspersed throughout the book as they were, it just seemed to break-up the story in an odd way. I was also slightly annoyed at the Stephen King references, especially at the very end. I'm not entirely sure why.

It was certainly an engaging story, but I don't think it would be one I pick up again. ( )
  GeekGirlM | Dec 8, 2015 |
Companion to Desperation by Stephen King, this story has more action and doesn't explain as much. It's probably better to read Desperation first to help understand this book better. ( )
  SebastianHagelstein | Jul 20, 2015 |
1996 - The Regulators by Richard Bachman
1996 - Desperation by Stephen King

These 2 were meant to be companion books by King using as they did the same character names, in a similar sort of peril from the same monster. A lot of reviewers said it was lazy writing at the time but I personally loved it. It added rather to my enjoyment of both rather than detracting.

Good Times. ( )
  Urthwild | Nov 30, 2014 |

Richard Bachmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Körber, JoachimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Mister, we deal in dead."
—Steve McQueen
The Magnificent Seven
Thinking of Jim Thompson and Sam Peckinpah:
legendary shadows.
Summer's here.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451191013, Mass Market Paperback)

An evil creature called Tak uses the imagination of an autistic boy to shift a residential street in small-town Ohio into a world so bizarre and brutal that only a child could think it up. It's as two-dimensional and gaudy as a kid's comic book, but for this reviewer, The Regulators is a gripping adventure tale about what happens when a mind fixated on TV (especially old Westerns and a cartoon called MotoKops 2200) runs amok. As Michael Collins writes in Necrofile, "[Stephen] King offers his readers a glimpse of the true evil of popular culture ... which has no design or intent, only an empty need to sustain itself. King is, I think, about the canniest observer of what America is, and that he generally writes horror ought to give us pause from time to time."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:29 -0400)

At the start of a midsummer's day, life seems idyllic on Poplar Street. However, in the house of Seth, an eight-year old autistic child, something is amiss, something which will change the entire neighborhood's concept of reality. By the end of the day, this serene Ohio suburb will become a terrifying slaughterhouse.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,251,339 books! | Top bar: Always visible