Simply Christian : Why Christianity Makes…

Simply Christian : Why Christianity Makes Sense (2006)

by N. T. Wright

The goal of this book is to introduce the major themes of Christianity to someone who may not know the Christian message but is interested in more, or someone who has long been part of the church but is confused as to what the big deal is all about. Wright does an amazing job of explaining difficult ideas in everyday, understandable language that is both accessible and easy while also being deep and expansive. He starts the book by explaining four things all humans long for and likening them to an echo of a voice within our world, as the book unfolds he then goes to show how the Christian message explains all of these things, how they link to the working of God in (re)creation, specifically Jesus Christ, and how this all ties back into what it means to be a recreated one who is furthering the kingdom and work of God in the world. At times Wright oversimplifies things, at times he forces the Christian view into Old Testament Judaism, at times he generalizes on points he perhaps could have been more specific on, but overall this is a book that I would recommend to anyone interested in Christianity but hesitant or unsure of what it's all about as well as anyone who has been in the church for a while but is not sure as to how to get involved. This book is a great starting point as well as a great reminder to all. ( )
  NGood | Feb 19, 2014 |
fantastic, though I plan to read it in print (or kindle) because it's hard to catch everything in an audiobook... ( )
  YoungGeekyLibrarian | Oct 17, 2011 |
Simply Christian by N.T. Wright is so clearly and beautifully written I understood stuff that I never have before. Pretty much everyone, everywhere, feels an innate longing for justice, for beauty, for "spiritually", for relationships of joy and love -- and these innate longings, expressed by each of us differently, are echos of a voice, of a longing for God. Wright delves into this. Then he delves into "solutions". I understand far better, for example, why Deism doesn't truly work. I understand the differences between a panthesitic or semi-panthesitic world view and a Christian one. But doesn't that sound academic and boring? Well it isn't!!! It is foundational knowledge that then leads slowly and gently to understanding what makes the Bible so important and different, Jesus, God, Israel, etc. This is just an inspiring and inspired book! START HERE with your search for God! Okay, I took off half a star because in a tiny section that doesn't matter at the back of the book is in my opinion wrong/old fashion. But even that is beautifully explained and food for thought.

Flipping to a random page, here's an example of the goodness: "Christianity is not about a new moral teaching -- as though we were morally clueless and in need of some fresh or clearer guidelines. This is not to deny that Jesus, and some of his first followers, gave some wonderfully bracing and intelligent moral teaching. It is merely to insist that we find teaching like that within a larger framework: the story of things that happened through which the world was changed.... Christianity is the belief that .... God's rescue operation has been put into effect once and for all....We're offered freedom..."

Awesome book, I was reading it with the same gusto I do novels. ( )
1 vote RaeBear | Apr 28, 2011 |
Simply Christian is an excellent book and brings out some excellent points for both old and new Christians. The most important one I believe is that Heaven exists in parallel with the material world, and Christians are to be places where Heaven and Earth meet. That is we have both the Spirit and our fleshly selves coexisting. We thus have the opportunity to be God's ambassadors to others by virtue of the Spirit's presence. This was also likened to the presence of the Temple as God's dwelling place. It is not the entire story of course, though you have to go to the Bible for that. ( )
1 vote aevaughn | Feb 25, 2010 |
For Joseph and Ella-Ruth
There are two sorts of traveller.

Why do we expect justice? Why do we crave spirituality? Why are we attracted to beauty? Why are relationships often so painful? And how will the world be made right? These are not simply perennial questions all generations must struggle with, but, according to N. T. Wright, are the very echoes of a voice we dimly perceive but deeply long to hear. In fact, these questions take us to the heart of who God is and what He wants from us.

For two thousand years, Christianity has claimed to solve these mysteries, and this renowned biblical scholar and Anglican bishop shows that it still can today. Not since C. S. Lewis's classic summary of the faith, Mere Christianity, has such a wise and thorough scholar taken the time to explain to anyone who wants to know what Christianity really is and how it is practiced. Wright makes the case for Christian faith from the ground up, assuming that the reader has no knowledge of (and perhaps even some aversion to) religion in general and Christianity in particular.

Simply Christian walks the reader through the Christian faith step by step and question by question. With simple yet exciting and accessible prose, Wright challenges skeptics by offering explanations for even the toughest doubt-filled dilemmas, leaving believers with a reason for renewed faith. For anyone who wants to travel beyond the controversies that can obscure what the Christian faith really stands for, this simple book is the perfect vehicle for that journey.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:00 -0400)

A noted Christian scholar and Anglican bishop explains what Christianity is and how it can help address the most troubling issues of the twenty-first century.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,030,839 books! | Top bar: Always visible