Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The Power of One (1989)

by Bryce Courtenay

Series: The Power Of One (1)

Follows Peekay, a white British boy in South Africa during World War II, between the ages of five and eleven, as he survives an abusive boarding school and goes on to succeed in life and the boxing ring, with help from a chicken, a boxer, a pianist, black African prisoners, and many others.
Recently added byERRINJ, CasadeCox, Arina40, private library, TCAuckland, therebelprince
    Tandia by Bryce Courtenay (daniellekrista)
    daniellekrista: This is the sequel to The Power of One. While P of O is my favorite book(I have read/listened to it nearly 10 times), Tandia is deeper and darker. This book follows Peekay on his boxing journey and shows the real hate of apartheid in South Africa.… (more)
    A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Semi-comic coming of age story
    The Syringa Tree: A Novel by Pamela Gien (Bitter_Grace)

English (96)  Dutch (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (98)
A great coming-of-age story. Peekay is a young, white, British boy that has many challenges while growing up in South Africa. He has important friends that help him to overcome the odds of his circumstances. Hoppie, Doc, and Geel Piet are characters perfectly fit into Peekay's life. Masterful storytelling that takes the reader on an emotional journey. ( )
  Beth.Clarke | Sep 5, 2020 |
"First with the head and then with the heart. Without both, I'm telling you, plans are useless!"

"In this world are few things made from logic alone. It is illogical for a man to be too logical. Some things we must just let stand."

"The searcher after truth must search with humanity- Ruthless logic us the sign of a limited mind. The truth can only add to the sum of what you know.."

"In teaching me independence of thought they had given me the greatest gift an adult can give to a child, besides love, and they had given me that also."

"The power of one is above all things the power to believe in yourself, often well beyond any latent ability you may have previously demonstrated."

"I was a man now, I was through with taking. I felt the rest was up to me. If I didn't know what the next step in my life was to be, I felt that I might set it in motion by acting independently of the help that was always so generously extended to me by others."

"No more emotional handouts for me. I could pay my own way! My whole life had been a testament to using the human resources around me, to winning against odds. If I understood the system as I felt I did, I was no longer willing to pay the emotional price it demanded from me."

I related to the protagonist, Peekay, so viscerally. What a raw experience. This is why we read fiction. In sweeping strokes, we deeply understood life. ( )
  bsmashers | Aug 1, 2020 |
I was so completely and thoroughly enamoured of this when I first read it in my early teens. I'm not so sure it would hold up quite as well if I re-read it, but I probably never will! ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
"Totally engrossing . . . presents the metamorphosis of a most remarkable young man and the almost spiritual influence he has on others . . . Peekay has both humor and a refreshingly earthy touch, and his adventures, at times, are hair-raising in their suspense." -Los Angeles Times Book Review
  StJamesLenoir | Apr 25, 2020 |
A classic that I just got around to recently. Solid. ( )
  tombrown | Feb 21, 2020 |
This is what happened.
Man is a romantic at heart and will always put aside dull, plodding reason for the excitement of an enigma.  As Doc had pointed out, mystery not logic, is what gives us hope and keeps us believing in a force greater than our own insignificance.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141304898, 0143004557, 0143204793

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,567,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible