A Maiden's Grave by Jeffery Deaver

A Maiden's Grave (original 1995; edition 2001)

by Jeffery Deaver

Member:namfos
Title:A Maiden's Grave
Authors:Jeffery Deaver
Info:Signet (2001), Edition: 1ST, Mass Market Paperback, 544 pages
Collections:Public Library
Tags:fiction

A Maiden's Grave by Jeffery Deaver (1995)

Book Description
Eight vulnerable girls and their helpless teachers are forced off a school bus and held hostage. The madman who has them at gunpoint has a simple plan: one hostage an hour will die unless the demands are met. Called to the scene is Arthur Potter, the FBI's best hostage negotiator. He has a plan. But so does one of the hostages-a beautiful teacher who's willing to do anything to save the lives of her students. Now, the clock is ticking as a chilling game of cat and mouse begins. My Review I found this book to be a very good look into the world of the deaf. Also learned a lot about hostage situations. A lot of research went into this book, I'm sure but the story was a little too long for my liking. The twists at the end were very unexpected and kept it very interesting until the last page. I look forward to reading another book by Deaver soon. ( )
  EadieB | Jun 1, 2016 |
From Amazon:

My Thoughts:

I read this novel ten years ago and just saw that I had never done a review for it. Better late than never:) The Maiden's Grave is filled with enough twists and turns to keep you guessing, taking what could have been just a classic negotiation story and flipping it on its head. It takes a frightful, horrific situation and turns it up a notch by having a group of deaf hostages, and the three hostage takers that are unwilling to communicate with them. And then it adds local politics and multiple task forces for good measure, with each group having its own agenda. The characters sometimes take a backseat to the story, but I still felt emotionally invested in what would happen next. This proved to be a good read, along with having a certain amount of unpredictability to keep things interesting. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Excellent, inspiring page turner. It is so hard to put down and such a thriller you almost have to. I loved every minute of it.
Thank you Jeffery Deaver for sharing your talent with us. ( )
  Barbara31542 | Feb 20, 2014 |
Another Deaver classic. Interesting idea writing about a number of deaf hostages, cleverly done with some good misdirection and twists as expected from Deaver's novels. ( )
  craigbrown | Jul 3, 2010 |
Very good
  whyteb | Apr 18, 2010 |

Jeffery Deaverprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Terho, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Diana Keene, for being an inspiration, a discerning critic, a part of my books, a part of my life, with all my love.
"Eight gray birds, sitting in the dark. Cold wind blows, it isn't kind."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451204298, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:34 -0400)

In Kansas, fleeing killers kidnap a bus with deaf girls and hole up in a slaughterhouse. They kill one girl and threaten to kill the rest if their demands are not met. The 12-hour siege by the FBI becomes a media circus, exploited by politicians and competing police departments. By the author of Playing for Sleep.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,473,703 books! | Top bar: Always visible