The Quiche of Death (20th anniversary…

The Quiche of Death (20th anniversary edition) (Agatha Raisin) (original 1992; edition 2012)

by M. C. Beaton

Member:istacey
Title:The Quiche of Death (20th anniversary edition) (Agatha Raisin)
Authors:M. C. Beaton
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:***

Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death by M. C. Beaton (1992)

English (49)  German (2)  Tagalog (1)  All languages (52)
I rather enjoyed learning about the village locals, more than finding out who the guilty party was. Mildly amusing, but I don't think I will read any more of her books. ( )
  gogglemiss | Jun 19, 2015 |
There has been some deliberation concerning the book's rating. I mused on how different the book was. How different from my expectations. Much of the book's positives ranked as character buildup. On that score, the book scored high. But characterization was something that didn't- doesn't- set my pulse racing. Basically I don't admire things that I THINK I can do myself. I can remember a lot of acclaimed songs that I couldn't enjoy because I thought I could have written them myself.

Agatha Raisin stars in her first book, solves her first case. She hints of future successes in crime fighting. M.C Beaton, the author, must have been pretty sure of being able to keep on writing further adventures with Raisin as the amateur detective.

So I've given this book 3 stars. It all comes down to how much I've enjoyed said book. I reckon the setting for the murder was a bit too shallow and artificial. That's kind of queer, since it's located in a real rural place, where the author herself lives. With hindsight, if one culls the total amount of pleasure derived from Quiche Of Death, then I'd say the book really scored 2.5. There's a big question mark over whether I'll be motivated enough to keep reading. The book is zany enough, it's just not funny. It has a certain mordant, but not enough zest. I'll have to risk reading the second book to see if the author has stayed in a rut or has moved on to better stuff. Until then. ( )
  Jiraiya | Jan 27, 2015 |
A fairly amusing murder story that would appeal to a member of the WI who likes a middle-class yarn with no violence and a bit of humour. ( )
  martensgirl | Jan 2, 2015 |
Having lived for her job, Agatha retires and moves to a Cotswold village. Refreshingly cantankerous, she quickly doubts village life is for her, until one of the locals is poisoned by a quiche she had pretended to bake. I like a cosy mystery and was entertained by Agatha and her acerbic, no-nonsense approach, but rather baffled that this series is so incredibly popular. ( )
  LARA335 | Dec 19, 2014 |

I'm probably not the best judge - I chose to read it purely because of the title... Am I the only one who finds it ridiculous? (in a funny way)

Will say more later ( )
  Gorthalon | Dec 6, 2014 |
Mrs. Agatha Raisin sat behind her newly cleared desk in her office in South Molton Street in London's Mayfair. From the outer office came the hum of voices and the clink of glasses as the staff prepared to say farewell to her.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312939167, Mass Market Paperback)

Putting all her eggs in one basket, Agatha Raisin gives up her successful PR firm, sells her London flat, and samples a taste of early retirement in the quiet village of Carsely. Bored, lonely and used to getting her way, she enters a local baking contest: Surely a blue ribbon for the best quiche will make her the toast of the town. But her recipe for social advancement sours when Judge Cummings-Browne not only snubs her entry—but falls over dead! After her quiche’s secret ingredient turns out to be poison, she must reveal the unsavory truth…

Agatha has never baked a thing in her life! In fact, she bought her entry ready-made from an upper crust London quicherie. Grating on the nerves of several Carsely residents, she is soon receiving sinister notes. Has her cheating and meddling landed her in hot water, or are the threats related to the suspicious death? It may mean the difference between egg on her face and a coroner’s tag on her toe…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:28 -0400)

In order to introduce herself to the picturesque English village where she has just retired, Mrs. Agatha Raisin enters a quiche in a local competition and promptly finds herself a murder suspect when the judge dies from her poisonous pie.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,872,045 books! | Top bar: Always visible