The Quiche of Death (20th anniversary…

The Quiche of Death (20th anniversary edition) (Agatha Raisin) (original 1992; edition 2012)

by M. C. Beaton

Member:istacey
Title:The Quiche of Death (20th anniversary edition) (Agatha Raisin)
Authors:M. C. Beaton
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:***

Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death by M. C. Beaton (1992)

Recently added byLindaEdwards, private library, AnaKurland, nwaldron, Coleen, cap43, Kays_Kindle

English (58)  German (2)  Tagalog (1)  All languages (61)
The author would have us believe that Agatha Raisin was a successful business woman, having built a PR firm from scratch. How did she do that if she is so abrasive and insensitive to everyone around her? Makes no sense. Neither does the plot of this “cozy” mystery. I figured out the victim’s great secret on page 26 (victim had been introduced on page 25). I could tell who the murderer was on page 30 (murder was introduced on page 24).

I don’t understand Agatha’s success; and I really don’t understand the success of this series. We have an unlikeable lead character, a background story that doesn’t ring true, minor characters that are nothing but caricatures, and a plot that is as see-through as window glass. I give it 1 star mostly because there were a few moments when I thought I might be interested in following this series. But Beaton was better at killing my interest in the series than she was at writing it. ( )
  BookConcierge | Jan 29, 2016 |
I am head over heels for this upper middle-aged amateur sluth and her brutal honesty. She crackes me up! The mystery is excellent. ( )
  StephLaymon | Jan 26, 2016 |
Cute book! First in the series, I'll probably read more. Easy, fun, entertaining! ( )
  TerriS | Jan 17, 2016 |
Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death M C Beaton
3 Stars

The first in the Agatha Raisin Series, this is a comic detective story with Agatha as the amateur detective.

Agatha has retired from running her own PR firm in London to live the simple life in the beautiful Cotswolds, however all is not as it seems.

When the judge of the Quiche competition dies after eating her Quiche Agatha cant help believing its more than just a simple case of accidental poisoning.

As she pokes her nose in where its not wanted Agatha finds the Cotswold can be a deadly place to live. ( )
  BookWormM | Jan 15, 2016 |
THIS WAS AN AUDIOBOOK. Agatha Raisin, 53, has recently retired early from her highly respected Public Relations firm in London, Raisin's Promotions, and is determined to live out her dream of a more placid existence in the Cotswolds, where she has purchased a thatched roof cottage. This is the dream since childhood that she has finally realized, life in the quiet Cotswolds, nestled in among the bucolic setting of the lush countryside. As a way to become more familiar with her new neighbors she enters a quiche contest expecting to win and thus gain admiration and a measure of fame from the village residents. To Agatha's dismay things don't turn out exactly the way she expects, in fact someone turns up dead instead and Agatha's presumed quiet life in the country turns out to be anything but.
This was my first M.C. Beaton mystery and I enjoyed it so much. I loved the setting and how the author expounds on the British way of life in a small village teeming with quirky, fun characters. Agatha Raisin is no sweet middle-aged woman, she is sharp tongued, dishonest at times, and can be downright mean. This made her character unique and once I adjusted to her personality (she's no Jessica Fletcher), I began to relax and enjoy the story even more. The audio narrator was fabulous and I am so happy to have come across this audible daily deal because I look forward to many more of Agatha's antics in this very enjoyable mystery series. ( )
  Lauigl | Dec 17, 2015 |
Mrs. Agatha Raisin sat behind her newly cleared desk in her office in South Molton Street in London's Mayfair. From the outer office came the hum of voices and the clink of glasses as the staff prepared to say farewell to her.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312939167, Mass Market Paperback)

Putting all her eggs in one basket, Agatha Raisin gives up her successful PR firm, sells her London flat, and samples a taste of early retirement in the quiet village of Carsely. Bored, lonely and used to getting her way, she enters a local baking contest: Surely a blue ribbon for the best quiche will make her the toast of the town. But her recipe for social advancement sours when Judge Cummings-Browne not only snubs her entry—but falls over dead! After her quiche’s secret ingredient turns out to be poison, she must reveal the unsavory truth…

Agatha has never baked a thing in her life! In fact, she bought her entry ready-made from an upper crust London quicherie. Grating on the nerves of several Carsely residents, she is soon receiving sinister notes. Has her cheating and meddling landed her in hot water, or are the threats related to the suspicious death? It may mean the difference between egg on her face and a coroner’s tag on her toe…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:28 -0400)

In order to introduce herself to the picturesque English village where she has just retired, Mrs. Agatha Raisin enters a quiche in a local competition and promptly finds herself a murder suspect when the judge dies from her poisonous pie.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,054,503 books! | Top bar: Always visible