The Quiche of Death (20th anniversary…

The Quiche of Death (20th anniversary edition) (Agatha Raisin) (original 1992; edition 2012)

by M. C. Beaton

Member:istacey
Title:The Quiche of Death (20th anniversary edition) (Agatha Raisin)
Authors:M. C. Beaton
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:***

Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death by M. C. Beaton (1992)

English (61)  German (2)  Tagalog (1)  All languages (64)
Quick and fun read I found out about this book from the Daily Deal email I get from Audible. I read the blurb, saw the star rating was pretty good, and dropped my $2.95.

I was pretty quickly engaged and found the various characters inhabiting the small village in the Cotswolds great fun to get to know. I laughed out loud several times and thought the pacing was very well done.

Who the murderer was isn't tough to figure out - and the author doesn't try to hide it very hard - but trying to figure out how it was done was the point of the case.

I can certainly see how the series could become addictive. The humor and the personalities of the residents alone make me want to read the next one right away.

The only thing that really pulled me out of the story is the way the POV style changed. For probably the first half of the book, we're getting Agatha's POV in a third person but that eventually changes to more of an omnipotent POV. First it's just Agatha, then it was Agatha and whomever was in the scene with her, and toward the end, characters not in a scene with her were featured. I found it distracting but it may not be something that other folks even recognize.

All in all, it was a fun read and I'm likely to eventually read the next in the series. And try to find the TV movie that was made based on The Quiche of Death.

amcheri | Jul 12, 2016 |
3.5 Stars ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
Agatha Raisin is the sort of neighbour you don’t want to live next to, if you live in a quiet picturesque Cotswold village where nothing ever happens. A newly-retired PR executive, Agatha arrives in the village of Carsley expecting a quiet retirement, a dream-like existence. But once she arrives in her perfect but soulless interior designed house, she finds real life in Carsley is not as she expected. First of all, no-one likes her. Second, no-one seems to give a fig about who she is. Third, she is bored.
And so begins the first novel in this addictive series by MC Beaton, featuring busy body Agatha who things just seem to keep happening to. Desperate to make friends, she enters a village baking competition. Except Agatha can’t bake. So she buys a quiche and enters it as her own. So what, you may think. Lots of people probably do that. But when the competition judge dies of poisoning, Agatha is the key suspect. Desperate to clear her name, she turns detective.
And so a new crime series is born, featuring an overweight, pompous and self-important woman who always thinks she knows best. Why is this series so good? Because Agatha always gets her come-uppance and the story is very funny. A circle of village characters – her cleaner Doris, the vicar’s wife Mrs Bloxley, the deliciously disgusting elderly couple the Boggles, the real policeman Bill Wong – and London PR friend Roy, all contribute warning voices when Agatha gets carried away with her theories. And, there are lots of references to Agatha Christie. A policeman warns her: “You really must leave investigations to the police. Everyone has something to hide, and if you are going to go around shoving your nose into affairs which do not concern you, you are going to be hurt.” In true Agatha fashion, she ignores him.
This is a long series, lots more to read.
Read more of my book reviews at http://www.sandradanby.com/book-reviews-a-z/ ( )
  Sandradan1 | Jun 7, 2016 |
Review Originally Posted At: FictionForesight

Agatha Raisin attempts to fulfill a childhood dream by retiring from her reputable PR firm and moving to a picturesque small town. She soon discovers that moving up the social ladder is just as hard, if not harder, than the corporate ladder, and decides buying and faking her way into a quiche competition will help her cause; that is, until the judge of the contest ends up dead after eating a slice of her store-bought quiche. Will she be able to prove she didn’t poison him and save her reputation?

I’ve always felt this strange bond with characters that have a hard personality. Maybe it’s how brutally honest Agatha is, maybe it’s the fact that she just doesn’t want to take the time to fit into the cookie cutter mold, but something about her personality makes this a very fun read.

The situation is a tale told many times; Agatha moves into a vacation town that she visited as a child after selling her business in the city, with the idea of retiring in a quiet community. This seemed to be going well, until she realized that not only does she not have friends outside of work, but she doesn’t really know how to make new ones. She is a gritty character, and many people have disliked the fact that she is easy to hate and seems disconnected; but I like the fact that she is hardened after working in the marketing business for so many years and dedicating her life to her career, and not knowing how to cope after it is gone.

The murder plot is interesting in that we get a few different viewpoints throughout the story, so we know a little bit more than Agatha, but still not enough to ruin the ending before it is the time to announce the killer. It’s a well-balanced mystery, with a lot of attention on Agatha’s failed attempts to include herself into the new social pool.

My main issues were just with inconsistencies in her behavior. She doesn’t cook very much, but she will get into a frenzy to learn how to cook, have one mishap of forgetting to cook a vegetable, and then moan about not being able to cook and going back to a microwave. She could have definitely improved on that if she had tried harder to better herself. It’s other small tidbits like that, added up, that become annoying; which reflects negatively on characterization.

It is definitely a good read if you want to see someone trying to adapt to a new situation, while also solving a mystery. It was a quick read, and I will be looking for a deal on the next book in the series.

(www.FictionForesight.com) ( )
  FictionForesight | Apr 26, 2016 |
The author would have us believe that Agatha Raisin was a successful business woman, having built a PR firm from scratch. How did she do that if she is so abrasive and insensitive to everyone around her? Makes no sense. Neither does the plot of this “cozy” mystery. I figured out the victim’s great secret on page 26 (victim had been introduced on page 25). I could tell who the murderer was on page 30 (murder was introduced on page 24).

I don’t understand Agatha’s success; and I really don’t understand the success of this series. We have an unlikeable lead character, a background story that doesn’t ring true, minor characters that are nothing but caricatures, and a plot that is as see-through as window glass. I give it 1 star mostly because there were a few moments when I thought I might be interested in following this series. But Beaton was better at killing my interest in the series than she was at writing it. ( )
1 vote BookConcierge | Jan 29, 2016 |
Mrs. Agatha Raisin sat behind her newly cleared desk in her office in South Molton Street in London's Mayfair. From the outer office came the hum of voices and the clink of glasses as the staff prepared to say farewell to her.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312939167, Mass Market Paperback)

Putting all her eggs in one basket, Agatha Raisin gives up her successful PR firm, sells her London flat, and samples a taste of early retirement in the quiet village of Carsely. Bored, lonely and used to getting her way, she enters a local baking contest: Surely a blue ribbon for the best quiche will make her the toast of the town. But her recipe for social advancement sours when Judge Cummings-Browne not only snubs her entry—but falls over dead! After her quiche’s secret ingredient turns out to be poison, she must reveal the unsavory truth…

Agatha has never baked a thing in her life! In fact, she bought her entry ready-made from an upper crust London quicherie. Grating on the nerves of several Carsely residents, she is soon receiving sinister notes. Has her cheating and meddling landed her in hot water, or are the threats related to the suspicious death? It may mean the difference between egg on her face and a coroner’s tag on her toe…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:28 -0400)

In order to introduce herself to the picturesque English village where she has just retired, Mrs. Agatha Raisin enters a quiche in a local competition and promptly finds herself a murder suspect when the judge dies from her poisonous pie.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,594,525 books! | Top bar: Always visible