The Quiche of Death (20th anniversary…

The Quiche of Death (20th anniversary edition) (Agatha Raisin) (original 1992; edition 2012)

by M. C. Beaton

Title:The Quiche of Death (20th anniversary edition) (Agatha Raisin)
Authors:M. C. Beaton
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages

Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death by M. C. Beaton (1992)

English (53)  German (2)  Tagalog (1)  All languages (56)
THIS WAS AN AUDIOBOOK. Agatha Raisin, 53, has recently retired early from her highly respected Public Relations firm in London, Raisin’s Promotions, and is determined to live out her dream of a more placid existence in the Cotswolds, where she has purchased a thatched roof cottage. This is the dream since childhood that she has finally realized, life in the quiet Cotswolds, nestled in among the bucolic setting of the lush countryside. As a way to become more familiar with her new neighbors she enters a quiche contest expecting to win and thus gain admiration and a measure of fame from the village residents. To Agatha’s dismay things don’t turn out exactly the way she expects, in fact someone turns up dead instead and Agatha’s presumed quiet life in the country turns out to be anything but.
This was my first M.C. Beaton mystery and I enjoyed it so much. I loved the setting and how the author expounds on the British way of life in a small village teeming with quirky, fun characters. Agatha Raisin is no sweet middle-aged woman, she is sharp tongued, dishonest at times, and can be downright mean. This made her character unique and once I adjusted to her personality (she’s no Jessica Fletcher), I began to relax and enjoy the story even more. The audio narrator was fabulous and I am so happy to have come across this audible daily deal because I look forward to many more of Agatha’s antics in this very enjoyable mystery series. ( )
  Lauigl | Oct 24, 2015 |
Picked this up after hearing about the series on The Readers podcast (great podcast, check it out). I didn't really think it was the type of book for me, but I was wrong. I think Agatha Raisin is a great character and will be looking forward to reading more in the series. The mystery itself was fun to read, as well.

I'll be grabbing more Agatha Raisin books next time I'm at my bookstore and would like to explore more in the genre, also. ( )
  Robert.Zimmermann | Oct 15, 2015 |
This was a very enjoyable Agatha Christie style mystery, with a Miss Marpleish protagonist. Fun! ( )
  hemlokgang | Aug 15, 2015 |
First book I'd read by M C Beaton on the recommendation of "the Head Butler." I loved it. I love the situations that Beaton put Agatha through.

I plan on reading many more. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
I rather enjoyed learning about the village locals, more than finding out who the guilty party was. Mildly amusing, but I don't think I will read any more of her books. ( )
  gogglemiss | Jun 19, 2015 |
Mrs. Agatha Raisin sat behind her newly cleared desk in her office in South Molton Street in London's Mayfair. From the outer office came the hum of voices and the clink of glasses as the staff prepared to say farewell to her.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312939167, Mass Market Paperback)

Putting all her eggs in one basket, Agatha Raisin gives up her successful PR firm, sells her London flat, and samples a taste of early retirement in the quiet village of Carsely. Bored, lonely and used to getting her way, she enters a local baking contest: Surely a blue ribbon for the best quiche will make her the toast of the town. But her recipe for social advancement sours when Judge Cummings-Browne not only snubs her entry—but falls over dead! After her quiche’s secret ingredient turns out to be poison, she must reveal the unsavory truth…

Agatha has never baked a thing in her life! In fact, she bought her entry ready-made from an upper crust London quicherie. Grating on the nerves of several Carsely residents, she is soon receiving sinister notes. Has her cheating and meddling landed her in hot water, or are the threats related to the suspicious death? It may mean the difference between egg on her face and a coroner’s tag on her toe…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:28 -0400)

In order to introduce herself to the picturesque English village where she has just retired, Mrs. Agatha Raisin enters a quiche in a local competition and promptly finds herself a murder suspect when the judge dies from her poisonous pie.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,883,872 books! | Top bar: Always visible