Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist by M.…

Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist

by M. C. Beaton

I had intended to read, "Murderous Marriage" before this, but didn't manage to get hold of a copy, so continued onwards to #6 in the series. In the end, it didn't matter, there's a 'catch up' at the start of the first chapter which pretty much covers all the books to date and, lets face it, they're not exactly complicated plots, so not difficult to catch up if you miss a book.

I seem to alternate between finding Agatha annoying & then warming to her... this time she was annoying. She seems to have turned into a tearful, clingy woman. Not the independent, pig headed Agatha I was used to. There was also too much about her love life and not enough sleuthing. Having said that, the redeeming feature was that she was in North Cyprus, staying in Kyrenia - exactly where I went on holiday last year & therefore I recognized all the places she visited & some of the hotels too.

All in all, a quick, easy read, not too taxing - perfect if you like the series. ( )
  Cassandra2020 | Jan 24, 2016 |
You cant go wrong with a good Aggie ( )
  BookWormM | Jan 15, 2016 |
Agatha Raisin isn't a particularly nice person. Given the time period when this was written, I think the author was experimenting with a number of stereotypes by turning them backward. For example, Agatha loves James, but she spends loads of time with (& not surprisingly ends up sleeping with) Charles. If a male detective character did this in a novel in the late 80's to early 90's, it would be fairly normal, if he was the protagonist. If he was a love interest acting this way, then the reader would expect the (female) detective / protagonist to punish and/or drop him immediately. Neither happens to Agatha, although she is emotionally tangled up a lot.

The mysteries around this dynamic are pretty incidental. They are something for Agatha to run around finding out about so we can watch her be nosy & clever & not clever & embarrass herself & pretty much be Agatha Raisin, whom I can't seem to help liking in spite of her double standards & tendency to isolate herself with murder suspects & other silly behaviors. The murderer is usually just insane, which means the clues don't give us a logical puzzle to solve anyway. ( )
  Hanneri | Oct 14, 2014 |
I really liked this one. It was set in Northern Cypress, for the most part. It was a bit of a push with the overly-long Wikipedia type descriptions of things, like we used to do in college to increase the word count on thesis papers, but it was still enjoyable. ( )
  Twikpet | Mar 29, 2013 |
This book is dedicated with love and affection to Jackie and Bilal, and Emine and Altay.
Agatha Raisin was a bewildered and unhappy woman.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312965664, Mass Market Paperback)

Agatha Raisin's marriage was put off when her ex-husband showed up, unfortunately alive. Fortunately, he was murdered and Agatha solved the crime. Now she is off to Cyprus to track down her ex-fiance. Instead of enjoying their planned honeymoon, however, they witness the murder of an obnoxious tourist. Two sets of terrible tourists surround the unhappy couple, arousing Agatha's suspicions. And, much to James' chagrin, she won't rest until she finds the killer. Unfortunately, it seems the killer also won't rest until Agatha is out of the picture. Agatha is forced to track down the murderer, try to rekindle her romance with James, and fend off a suave baronet, all while coping with the fact that it's always bathing suit season in Cyprus.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:48 -0400)

In her sixth delightful outing, Agatha travels north of Cyprus, only to contend with her estanged fiance', an egregious group of terrible tourists, and a string of murders as scorching as the Greek sun.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,325,045 books! | Top bar: Always visible